Player additions for state cup

Speed

GOLD
normal for a coach to add 5 new players to the roster for state cup? can see an impact player or 2 but 5 seems like a lot

03 team, not sure about losing players but I haven't heard of losing any. 15 on roster. Not sure why players aren't on teams. Curious why is it normal for olders? Aren't you bound by contract through state cup?

03 team, not sure about losing players but I haven't heard of losing any. 15 on roster. Not sure why players aren't on teams. Curious why is it normal for olders? Aren't you bound by contract through state cup?

Transfer window opens end of November (Monday after Thanksgiving), closes right before the teams are drawn into brackets.

Spreads the cost over more families.

Families have already paid for the overwhelming majority of the season at this point. Dividing the cost of one tournament (and maybe one month’s more training if the club didn’t just have a one time fee) over a few more players while watching the number of players go up/available playing time go down more significantly...unless the team is truly short players and/or looks like there is real interest for the newcomers to play with the team the following season, that’s hardly a good deal for existing players.

Some coaches know that kids get hurt in HS soccer and are not available for State/National Cup. Also, its no secret that some kids just quit after HS soccer and not come back.

Perhaps your particular coach has had a bad experience where he didn't have enough players for the State Cup before. If you're close to the manager, ask why the coach is adding 5 players. If he or she doesn't know, then ask the coach.

I know its bit awkward but its a business and you're paying for the fee to be there so you have the right to know.

Our g03 team has been playing with with 0-2 subs for a few months now. If you have overflow or need playing time in North OC, I'm sure we can arrange some extra playing time for your dd.

I have a younger player and only have been through a single State Cup, but I have attempted to minimize the importance of this experience for my kid.

Players are coming/going well before State Cup. Official recruiting and signing to other clubs starts at Thanksgiving. State Cup almost becomes meaningless when you have all this player movement. Kids being added to other teams who haven't played in an actual game with that team before State Cup. It's crazy. It's just another tournament to me.

Our club doesn't even include the entry cost in yearly fees.

On a roster of 11 last year, my kid's team had 4 players leave the team before State Cup-- so no subs. I was put in position of: 1) allowing my daughter play in a game with fever (controlled by tylenol) and feeling like crap, or 2) her team cannot field a full team and forfeits. Really bad position to be in as a parent. She wanted to play so I let her. But I felt horrible about it for some time afterwards.

At olders u16-18 kids go off to HS and don't come back for a variety of reasons. You lose 2 or 3 and the bench gets short real quick. Injuries start to take a real toll so carrying 20 is not a bad idea. There are good players available after HS season because their team is not playing national cup or disbanded. There are unattached kids who play HS and kids on your team recruit them to play. Throw in a few who sign up to take the SAT on a play weekend and you need the longer roster.

I have a younger player and only have been through a single State Cup, but I have attempted to minimize the importance of this experience for my kid.

Players are coming/going well before State Cup. Official recruiting and signing to other clubs starts at Thanksgiving. State Cup almost becomes meaningless when you have all this player movement. Kids being added to other teams who haven't played in an actual game with that team before State Cup. It's crazy. It's just another tournament to me.

Our club doesn't even include the entry cost in yearly fees.

On a roster of 11 last year, my kid's team had 4 players leave the team before State Cup-- so no subs. I was put in position of: 1) allowing my daughter play in a game with fever (controlled by tylenol) and feeling like crap, or 2) her team cannot field a full team and forfeits. Really bad position to be in as a parent. She wanted to play so I let her. But I felt horrible about it for some time afterwards.
That stinks and we have been there.

Back