Play High School or Not?

I know two elite players that played high school together two years ago together and had the best time. Both left high school last year to play in the DA. One left the DA and is playing high school again while the second one is still in the DA. The one playing high school is laughing and smiling and having fun and the other one, still in the DA, is lurking in the stands by herself, watching the games and very much wishing she could play. What a way to spend your senior year.

Since we are throwing around anecdotal BS for no reason, I'm in: I know elite players in ECNL that refuse to play high school soccer because they were miserable when they played it. And the point being . . . ?

point is offering alternative views and experiences so newbies get balanced perspectives and parents can feel less pressured to pick one thing or another. And your point is?

I was asking what his point was for being sarcastic and questioning my post not his comment I think MM can answer his own questions

Last edited:
Well it would be exactly the same. You should know that

You make a false equivalency, but of course you do. On the one hand, Soccer43 favors kids having a choice whether to play HS or not and isn't trying to tell your kid what they can and can't do. You, on the other hand, want to dictate what other people's kids must do even if it isn't in their best interests. You think that forcing kids to skip HS against their will benefits your daughter because she needs the better players around her to skip HS so they will train with and play against her two extra months a year, which you apparently think it will make her a better player. Good luck with that. Maybe those two extra months will catapult her to the U20 WNT or Stanford will call at the last minute.

You also make the ridiculous assertion that kids who want to play HS do have a choice, and that you and GDA aren't forcing them do to anything because they can just f*** off and play outside the GDA if they don't like it. But that's a false choice. Even you admit your own daughter would not have gotten her college offer but for playing GDA, which is probably true for many kids like yours who are borderline college material and live in areas without any other meaningful platform for college exposure. In other words, the choice often isn't between just playing HS or not. It's about having to choose between playing HS and the opportunity to play in college. Or being forced to choose between HS and their club team, coaches and players with whom they've played for years only to get kicked off based on a rule that USSF said when they originally signed up for the GDA disaster would not be implemented until after they were off to college.

Keep your comments coming. Things like missing school to fly to FL right before finals is a great idea and the only time and place to hold that showcase, although ECNL figured it out years ago and even USSF manages to always give their boys a more preferable earlier weekend. That missing school in April to play in the snow is a great idea, so brilliant in fact that USSF is only making the girls do that also. That kids should even miss 2 extra days for the Snow Showcase to acclimate to the altitude beyond the 2-3 they already miss in travel and off days. That a public school in Simi Valley is just as challenging as Harvard-Westlake and Phillips Exeter Academy, and that JMU has the same admission standards as Harvard and Stanford. And, of course, that the pill can't help reduce the risk of ACL injury despite overwhelming medical evidence to the contrary. How do you feel about USSF arming coaches and refs?

You make a false equivalency, but of course you do. On the one hand, Soccer43 favors kids having a choice whether to play HS or not and isn't trying to tell your kid what they can and can't do. You, on the other hand, want to dictate what other people's kids must do even if it isn't in their best interests. You think that forcing kids to skip HS against their will benefits your daughter because she needs the better players around her to skip HS so they will train with and play against her two extra months a year, which you apparently think it will make her a better player. Good luck with that. Maybe those two extra months will catapult her to the U20 WNT or Stanford will call at the last minute.

You also make the ridiculous assertion that kids who want to play HS do have a choice, and that you and GDA aren't forcing them do to anything because they can just f*** off and play outside the GDA if they don't like it. But that's a false choice. Even you admit your own daughter would not have gotten her college offer but for playing GDA, which is probably true for many kids like yours who are borderline college material and live in areas without any other meaningful platform for college exposure. In other words, the choice often isn't between just playing HS or not. It's about having to choose between playing HS and the opportunity to play in college. Or being forced to choose between HS and their club team, coaches and players with whom they've played for years only to get kicked off based on a rule that USSF said when they originally signed up for the GDA disaster would not be implemented until after they were off to college.

Keep your comments coming. Things like missing school to fly to FL right before finals is a great idea and the only time and place to hold that showcase, although ECNL figured it out years ago and even USSF manages to always give their boys a more preferable earlier weekend. That missing school in April to play in the snow is a great idea, so brilliant in fact that USSF is only making the girls do that also. That kids should even miss 2 extra days for the Snow Showcase to acclimate to the altitude beyond the 2-3 they already miss in travel and off days. That a public school in Simi Valley is just as challenging as Harvard-Westlake and Phillips Exeter Academy, and that JMU has the same admission standards as Harvard and Stanford. And, of course, that the pill can't help reduce the risk of ACL injury despite overwhelming medical evidence to the contrary. How do you feel about USSF arming coaches and refs?
Except ECNL and National League also ran events around the same time. Just keep writing those checks as you complain. DA is a choice and one you’ve begrudgingly accepted at least financially. Just make sure you tell your DD she’s not allowed to play Da anymore because you don’t like it.

What a crybaby . . . or maybe just a high school coach/teacher with way too much time on their hands. Wait. Those are the same things. My bad.

And I thought that I was salty...

HS sports can be fun, soccer is a bit different but can be a time of growth for the younger ones.

Home games can be entertaining and when you have your own cheering section like me kids school does it get some players pumped out. Let's face it the opposite sexs that come out like athletes so that's a fringe benefit. The School assemblies where you get recognized and high fived can be nice also, the local TV stations broadcasting the games, hey did your see my rocket goal...lso that was sweet....

In our section 2 person ref crews are used and that takes some adjustment, one of reasons the HS appears to be more physical is partly due to this IMO.

5 hours+ away on the bus rides while all three teams play can be tiring but good bonding times. When all three come away with the W's especially on close games or last minute heroics the ride back can be pretty festive.

When your younger, say a sophomore playing Var & going up against a bunch of older Juniors and seniors that can be challenging and a time for development for some, for my player it was at least.

Some leagues have a mix of divisional teams so a div 4 team could end up play a div 2 or 1 team a couple time during league play. Never really see this in club so it has is own postivies & negatives but the playoffs by division can be fun and the time where you see the teams rise or fall, the strength of the teams schedules definitely play a role in the long term.

Try it or watch some games before you knock HS soccer, while the depth of players might not be what some are used to the pride of playing for your home school can make this a very positive experience.

HS sports can be fun, soccer is a bit different but can be a time of growth for the younger ones.

Home games can be entertaining and when you have your own cheering section like me kids school does it get some players pumped out. Let's face it the opposite sexs that come out like athletes so that's a fringe benefit. The School assemblies where you get recognized and high fived can be nice also, the local TV stations broadcasting the games, hey did your see my rocket goal...lso that was sweet....

In our section 2 person ref crews are used and that takes some adjustment, one of reasons the HS appears to be more physical is partly due to this IMO.

5 hours+ away on the bus rides while all three teams play can be tiring but good bonding times. When all three come away with the W's especially on close games or last minute heroics the ride back can be pretty festive.

When your younger, say a sophomore playing Var & going up against a bunch of older Juniors and seniors that can be challenging and a time for development for some, for my player it was at least.

Some leagues have a mix of divisional teams so a div 4 team could end up play a div 2 or 1 team a couple time during league play. Never really see this in club so it has is own postivies & negatives but the playoffs by division can be fun and the time where you see the teams rise or fall, the strength of the teams schedules definitely play a role in the long term.

Try it or watch some games before you knock HS soccer, while the depth of players might not be what some are used to the pride of playing for your home school can make this a very positive experience.

It used to be that the top-performing schools had their pick of club players who attended. Now the DA program has picked off a few of the better players, but the top schools still have good games, especially season-ending rivalry games.

As for the 2-ref situation - the schools can pay for three refs if that is what they want.

Do you paraphrase all of your posts? Then insert your most recent gripe?

Are there other sports besides soccer that kids opt out of playing for their HS to play in clubs (DA)? I don't see kids playing high level lacrosse, field hockey and basketball having to choose.

I was having a hard time following the last several posts until I saw there was a post from a member that I ignore.

End,

You seem to harbor some sort of hate for me and enjoy taking arguments into the personal realm. You misrepresent me at every chance. For those kids playing HS I am happy for them. Those playing DA and not wanting to play HS I am happy for them to. I draw the line though when you attack my daughter and call her bordeline material. I think you show that your true self in every one of your posts. Good luck to you, your family and your future.

Are there other sports besides soccer that kids opt out of playing for their HS to play in clubs (DA)? I don't see kids playing high level lacrosse, field hockey and basketball having to choose.

The combination of DA and another HS sport can work for the highly motivated student who also whats to maintain good grades but its very difficult and not for everyone or even most I would say. The practice schedules are what gets you more than the game schedules nowadays since DA schedules are now not every weekend like they used to be in the fall. The out of state/area games where you're gone for the weekend for DA however does complicate things.

Works better for spring or winter sports vs the fall ones. Football for one would be extremely difficult with there game & practice schedule. Playing Friday nights and then a soccer game the next day would be nuts physically unless you player was just the kicker or punter. Some programs also have mandatory weekend practices that can conflict with the fall soccer game schedules.

Baseball, boys volleyball and Track & Field are more manageable but baseball is so time consuming that I dunno about that one. Basketball is in the winter so if you can keep up with the practice schedule that's possible but with any dual sports you will have some double days training days (one sport in day, the other later early or later night) This is really tough when this goes on and at some point/weeks you will likely miss some practices and get fatigued, managing this is one of the toughest things to do but can be rewarding if not tiring.

I was having a hard time following the last several posts until I saw there was a post from a member that I ignore.

End,

You seem to harbor some sort of hate for me and enjoy taking arguments into the personal realm. You misrepresent me at every chance. For those kids playing HS I am happy for them. Those playing DA and not wanting to play HS I am happy for them to. I draw the line though when you attack my daughter and call her bordeline material. I think you show that your true self in every one of your posts. Good luck to you, your family and your future.

As I have told you already, I do not care for your ongoing disrespectful and flippant comments and complete lack of consideration for points made by others. As long as you continue making them, I'll continue returning the favor because it is a lot of fun bullying the bully. When you're ready to post thoughtful commentary without mocking others, or even show the slighted sense of humor, you'll get treated with the respect that you currently don't deserve. Unfortunately, I get the sense you consider yourself too much of a "manly man" to change your behavior, so we'll probably be back at in a week or two.

As I have told you already, I do not care for your ongoing disrespectful and flippant comments and complete lack of consideration for points made by others. As long as you continue making them, I'll continue returning the favor because it is a lot of fun bullying the bully. When you're ready to post thoughtful commentary without mocking others, or even show the slighted sense of humor, you'll get treated with the respect that you currently don't deserve. Unfortunately, I get the sense you consider yourself too much of a "manly man" to change your behavior, so we'll probably be back at in a week or two.
Pot calling the kettle black!!!!

Except ECNL and National League also ran events around the same time. Just keep writing those checks as you complain. DA is a choice and one you’ve begrudgingly accepted at least financially. Just make sure you tell your DD she’s not allowed to play Da anymore because you don’t like it.

Thanks for bringing up the ECNL event "around the same time", which is an obvious misrepresentation. As you know, the ECNL event was held in AZ over a 3 day holiday weekend three weeks earlier. Comparing the two, a player from CA could attend the ECNL showcase without missing any school and at a time that has no impact on finals, whereas most need to miss 3 days for the GDA event in FL and for many their first final is the day after they play a game and then fly across the country. You also save money on the flight and hotel costs because it's regional. It is also important to note that ECNL holds more (six I believe) showcase events in various locations throughout the year, which gives clubs a menu of options to attend the two that make the most sense for them. Which means that a team from NY isn't required to fly 5 hours across the country to play in AZ because they can participate in the other closer events, and a team from CA isn't required to fly to NJ if they don't want. But if they want to go, great.

By all means be a useful contributor. Rather than the ad hominems that you and @Simisoccerfan rely on, go ahead and state the case why the GDA fall showcase is perfect, including the timing and location. Explain why it is a better system than ECNL's, which provides a menu of options that allows teams to attend the events that make the most sense for them. Explain why Veteran's Day weekend (which requires no missed school, has no impact on finals, and doesn't even require you to be there if it doesn't make sense for your team) is a worse weekend for a showcase than the week before finals. Explain why it is better for the girls DA players to always get the weekend before finals, while the boys get the earlier week. Explain why a showcase in CO in late April is the best weekend and location in the U.S. to hold it. Provide the medical study establishing that taking the pill has no impact on ACL tears in girls. Provide the medical study showing that in-game fatigue is not a leading cause of catastrophic knee injuries. Be a real man by explaining your positions and supporting them with proof where appropriate. I've been asking for months and neither of you have stepped up to the plate. I don't think you have it in you. I think all you're good for is the ad hominem, that you have no legitimate arguments to make and you're too chicken (or maybe wise) to defend the indefensible. Prove me wrong.

Thanks for bringing up the ECNL event "around the same time", which is an obvious misrepresentation. As you know, the ECNL event was held in AZ over a 3 day holiday weekend three weeks earlier. Comparing the two, a player from CA could attend the ECNL showcase without missing any school and at a time that has no impact on finals, whereas most need to miss 3 days for the GDA event in FL and for many their first final is the day after they play a game and then fly across the country. You also save money on the flight and hotel costs because it's regional. It is also important to note that ECNL holds more (six I believe) showcase events in various locations throughout the year, which gives clubs a menu of options to attend the two that make the most sense for them. Which means that a team from NY isn't required to fly 5 hours across the country to play in AZ because they can participate in the other closer events, and a team from CA isn't required to fly to NJ if they don't want. But if they want to go, great.

By all means be a useful contributor. Rather than the ad hominems that you and @Simisoccerfan rely on, go ahead and state the case why the GDA fall showcase is perfect, including the timing and location. Explain why it is a better system than ECNL's, which provides a menu of options that allows teams to attend the events that make the most sense for them. Explain why Veteran's Day weekend (which requires no missed school, has no impact on finals, and doesn't even require you to be there if it doesn't make sense for your team) is a worse weekend for a showcase than the week before finals. Explain why it is better for the girls DA players to always get the weekend before finals, while the boys get the earlier week. Explain why a showcase in CO in late April is the best weekend and location in the U.S. to hold it. Provide the medical study establishing that taking the pill has no impact on ACL tears in girls. Provide the medical study showing that in-game fatigue is not a leading cause of catastrophic knee injuries. Be a real man by explaining your positions and supporting them with proof where appropriate. I've been asking for months and neither of you have stepped up to the plate. I don't think you have it in you. I think all you're good for is the ad hominem, that you have no legitimate arguments to make and you're too chicken (or maybe wise) to defend the indefensible. Prove me wrong.
ECNL Leaders must be proud of this guy. Not only they take his cash, but got him doing pro-bono marketing work. Win-win for ECNL.

First, I was talking about the ECNL South Carolina event held right before Florida. I can’t and won’t argue with how you feel. But I will ask you again since you like to avoid the poinient questions:
1) Does it burn you up to write the checks to you GDA club knowing how much you hate DA?

2) knowing how you feel about DA and ECNL, why isn’t your DD playing ECNL?

3) Does your DD share the same animosity towards the GDA structure as you do?

Answer those and i’ll Happily give you my feedback on Florida!

Back