Pick up soccer

While most of you were out chasing trophies this weekend, we arranged a neighborhood pick up game (is it an oxymoron to arrange a pick up game?).
We had a field reserved and our scrimmage fell through. I sent out an email to everyone I know with a girl going into 6th grade this fall that plays soccer.
We had 25 girls show up from about 7 different teams (5 different clubs).
I split up teams, gave them a few simple rules and rolled a ball out. Nobody wanted to play in goal, so the rule was that you couldn't shoot from outside the 18. And don't be super physical. No injuries please. Other than that, they picked their own positions and just played for an hour.
I've never seen so many smiling kids on a soccer field before. Lots of giggling. A bit of sloppy soccer, but very fun. No crazy parents. No coaches with accents freaking out on 11 year old girls.
I don't think many of them have ever had a soccer ball at their feet without someone coaching them. Between team practices, private trainings, games... Maybe at recess they may have some time for free play.
Find a field, grab some kids and let them play until the streetlights come on.

These types of things are at the heart of the game...reinforces the "fun" that is lost in such a competitive landscape We often do a dads v DD's game which includes a LOT of playful trash talk and laughs (and Advil for the Dads)

Your post could have had a little less bite ("trophy chasing" really?) but was spot on in Spirit.

For decades, there was a pickup game every Sunday at 8AM at Arbolitos Fields in Poway (except Mothers Day). The game was open to whoever showed up, usually about the same dozen to twenty or so middle-aged men and a couple of women, with a revolving group who showed up from time to time. It was white t-shirts against colored, so bring one of each. No referees, so the players called their own fouls and touch lines, and no offside. One regular brought along a couple of home-made minigoals so we could play without keepers.

Last edited:
These types of things are at the heart of the game...reinforces the "fun" that is lost in such a competitive landscape We often do a dads v DD's game which includes a LOT of playful trash talk and laughs (and Advil for the Dads)

Your post could have had a little less bite ("trophy chasing" really?) but was spot on in Spirit.
We enjoy taking our girls to play indoor pickup on the weekends. The girls just play and run around. They often will experiment with new moves on their own. We just sit back and enjoy.

We enjoy taking our girls to play indoor pickup on the weekends. The girls just play and run around. They often will experiment with new moves on their own. We just sit back and enjoy.
Been taking the girls to Adams MS field and playing 1v1 games (like in hoops, complete with check back cone for turnovers and 2 points for nutmegs).....smiles and treats after!

Been taking the girls to Adams MS field and playing 1v1 games (like in hoops, complete with check back cone for turnovers and 2 points for nutmegs).....smiles and treats after!
Right around the block for you! Makes it nice to just roll out and cross the street!

my boy just started club level this year and some coaches just freak out about small things. my kid just wants to play and will play anywhere - except his complaints about turf. not easy finding pickup games. my kid got a couple games in at co-ed, all-age Mexican League and loved it - except for a couple bad apples. i agree with Lastman, these are the places kids are able to be dynamic and less robotic. try things out and not have a coach asking "what was that? dont that again"

Back