Participation Trophies??? SCDSL

@MakeAPlay id love to hear to Dd's story when she was a ulittle!!! What level team did she play on as she progressed though? How did decide to make a coaching change? Were her teammates or coaches more important in her development? Feel free to add anything you feel is important for a ulittle parent to know.

@MakeAPlay id love to hear to Dd's story when she was a ulittle!!! What level team did she play on as she progressed though? How did decide to make a coaching change? Were her teammates or coaches more important in her development? Feel free to add anything you feel is important for a ulittle parent to know.

My daughter played CSL silver her first year of club soccer then her team got relegated to bronze. After winning bronze and getting promoted to silver we switched teams 2 or 3 games into the club season. We switched her to another silver team due to a serious lack of faith in the coaching. After a training session with her friends Surf "A" team it became clear that a change was needed. We didn't put her with Surf at that time but she did join another ECNL club at that time where she progressed nicely for the next 6 years. I would say her teammates and opponents were about 25% of her development. It helped to play with and against good players no doubt about it. I would say her coaches were about 35% of it. Finding a series of coaches and trainers that not only believed in her but were willing to push her in the areas that she needed pushing in was key. The rest was her drive and us having a plan. That is the god news. If a player has the desire and drive and a supportive family that can come up with a plan, anything can happen.

My suggestion is to make it fun. Ask your player every year does she really want to play before you write any checks that way she owns the process. And if she keeps saying yes and wants to play in college come up with a plan. If you need help with a plan talk to parents in your club with kids committed to the caliber of school that your player is considering that seem honest and willing to help and get some advice.

Good luck to you and your player.

Hello. Can you kindly point out where in that link anything is said about not posting scores? I understand the direction US soccer is trying to go, but nowhere in there was anything ever mentioned "No posting of scores". Every team loses and wins games. That is a fact of soccer life. But to pretend game scores don't exist is just plain silly, don't you agree on that? Kids must learn to win and lose, as that is a part of life. Part of soccer development is having a system while also game planning for teams. Not having scores available for coaches is borderline incompetence on the league's part if you want to develop top line coaches as well. But to each their own. Now how will the showcase games be determined I wonder? Guess there's no need to report scores anymore for 2008 and below, but then that should only be a requirement for 2007 and older, right?
Please take some time to do more research. It is very interesting how most countries in Europe train young players. You will find it most informative and hopefully contribute to your knowledge of long term development. There certainly are a lot of sports where a young player can win games, tournaments and take home medals and trophies at a young age if that is what you and your player want. It is always your choice and your players choice.

Back