Parents- just shut up

I believe that there is inherent bias based on what one knows. ( bias not racism) If you are a European ref than growing up watching premier league you likely ref a game with a bias to that style of refing. If Spanish you likely ref to that bias . If Mexican you likely ref to that bias. The conflict arises when ones' biases do not match another's expectations or when one's biases play to one's strengths. The rules of soccer allow this as the LOG allow for ref latitude in interpretation ( foul , handball, this play out rule, card / no card etc. ). I think the inconsistence in refing seen week in week out also plays a role in sideline frustrations. It is interesting to watch a game with a ref near. You get an earful of contrast and also of affirmation, and the game given to different view would be completely different in most aspects of the game. Just watch an tightly refed game with a Hispanic sideline , they will go crazy " common ref let them play" . Just watch a loosely refed game work up a Caucasian sideline ( that may be upper / middle / or lower class -- socioeconomically ) they go crazy. ( "common ref what about a card" ) It is a bias both ways as ref , coach, player, parent. Maybe as a league ( CSL /SCDL) there needs to be some instruction given to the ref crews so that the other moving parts of the game see so consistency and all know what's up and what to expect.

I believe that there is inherent bias based on what one knows. ( bias not racism) If you are a European ref than growing up watching premier league you likely ref a game with a bias to that style of refing. If Spanish you likely ref to that bias . If Mexican you likely ref to that bias. The conflict arises when ones' biases do not match another's expectations or when one's biases play to one's strengths. The rules of soccer allow this as the LOG allow for ref latitude in interpretation ( foul , handball, this play out rule, card / no card etc. ). I think the inconsistence in refing seen week in week out also plays a role in sideline frustrations. It is interesting to watch a game with a ref near. You get an earful of contrast and also of affirmation, and the game given to different view would be completely different in most aspects of the game. Just watch an tightly refed game with a Hispanic sideline , they will go crazy " common ref let them play" . Just watch a loosely refed game work up a Caucasian sideline ( that may be upper / middle / or lower class -- socioeconomically ) they go crazy. ( "common ref what about a card" ) It is a bias both ways as ref , coach, player, parent. Maybe as a league ( CSL /SCDL) there needs to be some instruction given to the ref crews so that the other moving parts of the game see so consistency and all know what's up and what to expect.

It would never work, although it would be nice. Referees are humans, some are great and some are a-holes, just like coaches, players and parents. Consistency will never happen.

Yes. Lots of people get upset when Spanish speaking referees speak in Spanish to Spanish speaking coaches and players, especially the home team. It give a perception of bias/"home town" even if they are just communicating in their most fluent tongue.
how does the ref know "their most fluent tongue" . The ref has not done that for my plays and the ref to my knowledge has never asked that question of any of the players or coach on my team. Is the U17 world cup ref speaking Iranian to the U17 Iranian team ...... I bet not.

how does the ref know "their most fluent tongue" . The ref has not done that for my plays and the ref to my knowledge has never asked that question of any of the players or coach on my team. Is the U17 world cup ref speaking Iranian to the U17 Iranian team ...... I bet not.

Iranian? Maybe Persian or Farsi...

You're kidding right? How does the clerk in a store start speaking Spanish to a customer without asking "what is your most fluent tongue"? Humans have a knack for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately I have heard it all too often, generally with Hispanic refs "giving the game" to the predominantly Hispanic team and especially when they are playing a predominantly caucasian team from an upper middle class area.

So you are assuming that all Hispanic refs are from the ghetto? I know pasty white guys that are barely living above the poverty level and Hispanic refs that are filthy rich.

So you are assuming that all Hispanic refs are from the ghetto? I know pasty white guys that are barely living above the poverty level and Hispanic refs that are filthy rich.
Who said that? He didn't say the hispanic teams were poor, he said he has seen upper middle class whites accuse them of being racist. Which of course is pure irony.

Parents are the problem not the kids. My wife wears ear buds cause she cant handle listening to them anymore. Almost every Club and League has the same issues, it has nothing to do with skill or race or refs, its these parents , plain and simple . If you can watch a game and throw out some confidence to your kid , good for you, but if you say more than that (NEGATIVIY) especially to the other team, remember that WE are all thinking about what type of STUPID you are.
Its the kids playing the game NOT you........

Here is a basic rule. If you are not positive just don't be negative. If you would not want what you said about the other teams players or injured player, said about your players or your child you probably shouldn't say it at all. Picture yourself in the refs shoes with you kids watching your ref. No picture your kids reactions as the sidelines say pretty crappy stuff about you. How would your kids feel. Probably shouldn't say that either. We all get caught up in emotion but it is still a kids game. No one dies for losing a league or state cup or DA or alphabet soup game.

A lot of truth in your post.

Where people have problems with refs is the consistentcy of the calls.

If you wanna call a tight game...great. But it needs to be tight both ways.

If you wanna "let em play"....great. But you better let both teams play.

The players will adapt to the way in which a ref calls a game if it's consistent. Where things go wrong is when it's called tight in one situation and then it's a bar fight 5 minutes later with no call.

Same with handling. Some refs call handling ANY time a ball is touched with a hand, regardless of whether it was "hand to ball" or not. Other refs won't call handling unless the player really makes a deliberate move to handle it. Either way....just be consistent.

BUT, having said all that....parents should just be quiet on the sideline and encourage the players and applaud good play. Leave the refs alone. The parents that constantly ride the refs do not help their cause.

Parents are the problem not the kids. My wife wears ear buds cause she cant handle listening to them anymore. Almost every Club and League has the same issues, it has nothing to do with skill or race or refs, its these parents , plain and simple . If you can watch a game and throw out some confidence to your kid , good for you, but if you say more than that (NEGATIVIY) especially to the other team, remember that WE are all thinking about what type of STUPID you are.
Its the kids playing the game NOT you........
I totally agree with you, but are you sure she doesn't wear her ear buds because she can't handle listening to you? LoL. Just messing with you.

Here is a basic rule. If you are not positive just don't be negative. If you would not want what you said about the other teams players or injured player, said about your players or your child you probably shouldn't say it at all. Picture yourself in the refs shoes with you kids watching your ref. No picture your kids reactions as the sidelines say pretty crappy stuff about you. How would your kids feel. Probably shouldn't say that either. We all get caught up in emotion but it is still a kids game. No one dies for losing a league or state cup or DA or alphabet soup game.
I kinda look at refs as cops, with all the crap they have to put up with day in and day out, it isn't any wonder they have an attitude.

I never made any reference to were the refs were from or their socioeconomic status. How would I know that unless I followed them home and asked from the taxes?

I am just stating where I have personally witnessed this bs. If
you want me to be specific, I have heard it most often south of the I-8 when the Caucasian team is from north of the 8. Albion, Impact, Surf (years ago), Carlsbad parents complaining that the game is fixed because the ref is speaking Spanish to the players and feeling that every call is against them.

I never made any reference to were the refs were from or their socioeconomic status. How would I know that unless I followed them home and asked from the taxes?

I am just stating where I have personally witnessed this bs. If
you want me to be specific, I have heard it most often south of the I-8 when the Caucasian team is from north of the 8. Albion, Impact, Surf (years ago), Carlsbad parents complaining that the game is fixed because the ref is speaking Spanish to the players and feeling that every call is against them.
It is a little unsettling to me when the refs are speaking Spanish.

Reactions: Q10
Well that's not going to happen, let them learn English.
How did I know you were going to say that. We occasional travel
to Spanish speaking countries and like to understand what is going on.

Plus on the one occasion where the ref was truly biased and speaking negatively to the other team about the "white boys" it was awesome when the black kid on the white boy team and the black coach were able to give the ref an ear full in fluent Spanish. The look on the ref was priceless. And yes that was at the Aztecs.

You're kidding right? How does the clerk in a store start speaking Spanish to a customer without asking "what is your most fluent tongue"? Humans have a knack for this sort of thing.
What you are asserting as acceptable in some circles, that's called " profiling". Yeah they do in fact, the clerk does start speaking Spanish without resecting what ones' chosen language is. No kidding.

Then learn Spanish so you know what they are saying. My kids love it, especially when they were younger because it gave them a chance to practice the language.
How did I know you were going to say that. We occasional travel
to Spanish speaking countries and like to understand what is going on.

Plus on the one occasion where the ref was truly biased and speaking negatively to the other team about the "white boys" it was awesome when the black kid on the white boy team and the black coach were able to give the ref an ear full in fluent Spanish. The look on the ref was priceless. And yes that was at the Aztecs.

So apparently you have 2 different profiles but you screwed up and answered (yourself) with the same one? This place is crazy.

Back