Open letter to HS and club soccer coaches

Really? Might as well just not play HS then.
When DD played HS, her club season continued into December so she missed the first few HS games. The HS coach had the players still in club take it easy at practices.

My DD runs cross country and she is a pretty talented runner, but her cross country coaches are forever frustrated by her “soccer arms” . They encourage her to tuck her elbows in to help increase her speed, but her elbows are always out.
THIS. My kid drives me nuts with his arms. Been trying for 4 years to help him...but kids loooove listening to their parents about these types of things. Most coaches dont have a background, even playing pro, to correct the arm swinging. Takes a track coach to modify that - had to talk to my kid's 8th grade PE teacher who coaches HS track to help correct his form.

Just started doing Yoga w/ my kid at home. It ain't easy...
Been trying to find a local place that does Yoga that isnt about inner Chi, or all females (my kid's hormone's couldnt take that visual overload), or run by some hardass who thinks her style is the greatest (cue kung fu voice). So its trying to do it at home and freak'n teens are the worse about doing things that are good for them but not "fun" and "boring". but they sure like to complain about slightly tight groins

Been trying to find a local place that does Yoga that isnt about inner Chi, or all females (my kid's hormone's couldnt take that visual overload), or run by some hardass who thinks her style is the greatest (cue kung fu voice). So its trying to do it at home and freak'n teens are the worse about doing things that are good for them but not "fun" and "boring". but they sure like to complain about slightly tight groins
Maybe doing yoga with a bunch of females could be enough to make it not boring and as an added bonus help to teach him to be a mature adult male that is respectful of females.

Luckily I have an ex-player who is now a yoga instructor so she understands what is needed for soccer players. I agree teens aren't always the best at doing things that are good for them. You tell them to hydrate before games and next thing you know they get heat exhaustion and the first thing you ask if they hydrated usually the first answer is "um no not really"

I can't see paying to go somewhere to stretch. We do a lot of laughing, especially when I start to complain that I can't move like that. Bottom line is we get some stretching in and he is learning about proper posture and focus. Well, when we're not laughing...

Back