ODP Western Region Championship this weekend

Changes have nothing to do with age bands. Has to do with control of talent and getting more out that talent. This isnt speculation, going to happen. We will get less people on the boards being proud "DA" parents who were DA only because they were paying to be on teams with said title.

I don't know if this is what you are hearing, but one rumor is that the MLS clubs will have their own DA league (presumably just a boys league at this point). If so, it will be harder for second-tier pay-to-play DA clubs to keep their talent.

Sounds like you are saying there will be less teams in each geography for DA next season?
And it will truly be only the “elite” players on DA teams?

That's more towards the truth of what is going to happen. Parents/players who sole goal is to play pro soccer and have the talent will occupy spots. Most of the money aspect will be eliminated and teams will be fine with investments as they will have a deeper talent, at that level, to pull from. Most clubs wont be able to hardsell the pro dream. ODP will be a great avenue for kids who think they will be left out. Different path, but soon certain clubs praying on the in-betweens, or solid college prospects, can't use DA as a selling tool. So hopefully it gets kids staying at clubs longer and keeps coaches at places longer

Some kind of consolidation? Underground trainings in Area 51? Why not just say.

Anyways does it affect the girls? Can't imagine MLS cares about that.
Dont know if it affects the girls. It might depending what MLS has planned on female side of things.

cant say specifically because i was asked not to discuss in detail. i think is due to clubs outside the circle not being informed yet. the clubs inside the circle have ZERO incentive to let any of the info out. who knows when they will be informed. probably end of the season.

I don't know if this is what you are hearing, but one rumor is that the MLS clubs will have their own DA league (presumably just a boys league at this point). If so, it will be harder for second-tier pay-to-play DA clubs to keep their talent.

This is what should happen IMO. So dumb for kids to travel just so the "elite" teams have someone to play. If your kid is good enough and you don't care about them having a traditional education path, let them play for LAFC, Real Salt Lake, etc. But my club is asking us to take our kid to LA and skip two days of school in April and then play Easter Sunday to be a part of an LA Galaxy tournament. We are saying no because his best case scenario is D2 or D3 if he even wants to do that and he can make that happen with or without DA and this tournament.

This is what should happen IMO. So dumb for kids to travel just so the "elite" teams have someone to play. If your kid is good enough and you don't care about them having a traditional education path, let them play for LAFC, Real Salt Lake, etc. But my club is asking us to take our kid to LA and skip two days of school in April and then play Easter Sunday to be a part of an LA Galaxy tournament. We are saying no because his best case scenario is D2 or D3 if he even wants to do that and he can make that happen with or without DA and this tournament.

You need to create the system that caters just to the elite kids who have parents willing to take kids out of school for weeks to play. Not because parents are willing to pay, it is because our domestic league needs that system. At that point it really is more of pro system trying to navigate our education laws. The structure for kids below this elite group, kids wanting to go to college but still play high level soccer, is already in place. Just watered-down due to all the unneeded things like non-pro DA, discovery, super duper league, etc. DA was created for the pro path and/or path to national team. So DA's selling anything other than that aren't in line with what US Soccer wants. Change was bound to happen. Clubs werent producing enough pro level talent. Clubs will make the next thing to sell - they always do.

exactly. we need things to be condensed, not expanded. simplify choices. problem is/was big clubs stayed greedy, instead of trying to leave one aspect of development as pure as possible. if what Dargle said is true, you will have pro academies picking from the entire area. the way it should be - if that is what kids/parents want to do. nothing wrong with playing as high a flight as possible and/or playing ODP. that has been a path that has lead many to D1-D3 schools and has lead to kids playing pro soccer. some just want something as a back up - especially given the trend of american players retiring at an early age due to injuries and/or being forced out of the league due to cheaper labor.

second tier DA clubs will be getting a dose of what they have been doing to smaller clubs for years.

I like the MLS model mentioned above. MLS certainly isn't the "gold" standard for worldwide soccer, but it's the best we have domestically right now.
Look at the academy set up across Europe. It truly is an "Academy" - Facilities, trainers, film rooms, multiple coaches, position specific education environments, 1st team aspirations.
Look at the "Academy" set up here in So Cal (aside from LA Galaxy)- Bunch of teams at the Great Park slammed onto a field they are sharing with at least 1 other team. No clubhouse, training facility, film room, etc. Players moving around to other clubs. Just the same thing we've had for years, but with mandatory team activities 4 days per week + games.

I like the MLS model mentioned above. MLS certainly isn't the "gold" standard for worldwide soccer, but it's the best we have domestically right now.
Look at the academy set up across Europe. It truly is an "Academy" - Facilities, trainers, film rooms, multiple coaches, position specific education environments, 1st team aspirations.
Look at the "Academy" set up here in So Cal (aside from LA Galaxy)- Bunch of teams at the Great Park slammed onto a field they are sharing with at least 1 other team. No clubhouse, training facility, film room, etc. Players moving around to other clubs. Just the same thing we've had for years, but with mandatory team activities 4 days per week + games.
yeah heaven for bid pro clubs actually having to make real investment to make youth side look like a legit academy. some clubs still dont have that completely worked out.

G02 didn't have any teams getting demolished.
G04 had a 9-1 and a 9-0 game.
G05 shows Utah beating Alaska 10-0.
G06 shows Alaska lose 11-0 WA, 10-1 Hawaii , 10-0 AZ
G07 had 9-0, 9-0, both from WA... 8-0, by Cal-North..7-1 games.
Fun times.....o_O

I'm not surprised Socal is cleaning up in this tournament. I was taking a licensure course last month in Northern California, and the team my group worked with for a full day was a mix of the Nor. Cal. ODP girls, aged about 2006-2004. They were good kids and good players. But I see lots of G2008 players (including several of my own) in Socal who are already just as good as any of the players on the Nor. Cal. ODP team. I don't believe the 2006 Nor. Cal team could beat most of Socal's Gold or Flight 1 teams. I think a lot of our Silver and Flight 2 teams could beat them.

It was also State Cup weekend, and I was on the USSF fields in Morgan Hill, so I got to see a few State Cup games for the youngers. The fields they played on were so small I actually walked them to get their measure: 33 yds. X 48 yds. How do you play a soccer game on a field that small? It was nothing but kickball and throw-ins. If these are the size fields they are working with as G2008s (the age group I watched), then it is no wonder to me why even their ODP 2006s have difficulty stringing passes together.

I'm not surprised Socal is cleaning up in this tournament. I was taking a licensure course last month in Northern California, and the team my group worked with for a full day was a mix of the Nor. Cal. ODP girls, aged about 2006-2004. They were good kids and good players. But I see lots of G2008 players (including several of my own) in Socal who are already just as good as any of the players on the Nor. Cal. ODP team. I don't believe the 2006 Nor. Cal team could beat most of Socal's Gold or Flight 1 teams. I think a lot of our Silver and Flight 2 teams could beat them.

It was also State Cup weekend, and I was on the USSF fields in Morgan Hill, so I got to see a few State Cup games for the youngers. The fields they played on were so small I actually walked them to get their measure: 33 yds. X 48 yds. How do you play a soccer game on a field that small? It was nothing but kickball and throw-ins. If these are the size fields they are working with as G2008s (the age group I watched), then it is no wonder to me why even their ODP 2006s have difficulty stringing passes together.

Ok, ok. I will officially call it....that this thread has jumped the shark
by Mr. 9th degree Grand Master YNT Super Coach Master Chief Scout, Esq.
I humbly bow to your wisdom...

In NorCal, all of the top clubs place their teams in the NorCal Premier League, which is associated with the National Premier League. All of the best teams in NorCal play in NorCal Premier and take part in the NorCal Premier League State Cup. The teams that you saw in Morgan Hill were playing in CalNorth State Cup, which is associated with USCS. None of the top clubs/teams play in CalNorth, take part in CalNorth State Cup, or place their players in ODP.

In NorCal, all of the top clubs place their teams in the NorCal Premier League, which is associated with the National Premier League. All of the best teams in NorCal play in NorCal Premier and take part in the NorCal Premier League State Cup. The teams that you saw in Morgan Hill were playing in CalNorth State Cup, which is associated with USCS. None of the top clubs/teams play in CalNorth, take part in CalNorth State Cup, or place their players in ODP.
Thanks. I didn't know that. Explains a lot.

In Northern California, US Youth Soccer's Cal North is basically just a recreational league facilitator. U.S. Club Soccer has 95% of the competitive teams and is the 800 pound gorilla.

In Southern California, Cal South is the 800 pound gorilla.

G03 had 9-0 and 14-0 wins during group play. That must've been fun to watch.....:(
@TigresFan
What did you not like about my post to hit the "Dislike" button. I simply stated facts. And I was being facetious about it being fun to watch. Try being that GK from AZ who got scored on 14x. Or worse. Her parents having to watch her suffer out there and not being able to do a damn thing about it. Shooting clinics should be saved for camps and training sessions. Not tournaments. That must've been a long ride home filled with awkward silence. She was a F2 GK at best. Her team as well. Nothing against her or them. Just not at the same level as the SoCal team. A good F1 GK would've made a huge difference in that game though.

Back