ODP Residential Youth Academy - Worth it or a waste?

Has your player been selected to the ODP pool tryouts?
I know enough to know what I like in a player so I am pretty sure the coaches do as well. For me the problem seems to be too many players from 1 team in 1 age group. Maybe the coaches could get out to more events.
Yes, she has. Made final 36. I know enough, as well, to know what to look for, but I cannot say the coaches do. Because, as I said, IMO they don't. I agree with you that too many from the same team.

Yes, she has. Made final 36. I know enough, as well, to know what to look for, but I cannot say the coaches do. Because, as I said, IMO they don't. I agree with you that too many from the same team.

Some how they did ok with the 98 and 99 groups. Between the two they have 5 national championships.

It's summer soccer camp. Kids are out of house, playing with kids their age. My kid went and had fun and saw some kids who were on the ODP list. It's not development training, but he said they have some good games.

I'm not familiar with the ODP Residential Youth Academies at The Thacher School. I've never encountered anyone who's child has ever attended. I'm curious if it's just another camp of skills/curriculum/fun or if it's an opportunity for a player to be recognized and open up doors to ODP or possibly even an academy team for the future?
I'm contemplating sending my son but the price point is high. I wouldn't mind making the sacrifice if this camp presented opportunities that other camps can't provide. Any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It can be all of the above, as parents we want things that challenge them and continue to develop their skills. You didn't mention how old your kid is but, I'd say this camp is very good for U12-U15, after that, they should be attending ID camps if that's their interest. Both DD's went to ODP camp, oldest went at U13-U15, made camp MVP 3 times and they talked to her about attending ODP the following rotation that year, she said she wasn't interested as she didn't want to be away from home for that amount of time :)... Second DD went U13-U14 behind her sister, won MVP the last year for her age group and we moved on to other focus (Privates, soul cycle, weights) for both of their development and soccer journey's. Not everyone will get recruited, not everyone becomes an ODP player but, everyone has the opportunity to take their game to the next level, be pushed further and most importantly, try things they'd NEVER do on the pitch on their own. The oldest hit a bicycle kick at the camp, she still laughs about it but, never saw the attempt again during her club career. She's now off to play college in NY, gets to keep the dream alive and have a true love of the game. Youngest has 2 club years left but, both really enjoyed the ODP Camp experience, I just wouldn't do it with the thought of anything other than improving their game and getting them out of the house for a week! :cool:

The girls' side must be completely different. The boys camp, and all of ODP at this point in time, is a cruel joke on parents who don't know the real story.
Paying for the chance that your kid could be deemed special is commonplace in youth soccer, just not usually so blatant as this.

The girls' side must be completely different. The boys camp, and all of ODP at this point in time, is a cruel joke on parents who don't know the real story.
Paying for the chance that your kid could be deemed special is commonplace in youth soccer, just not usually so blatant as this.
Not sure I get how "all of ODP" (as in the part other than the camp) is a cruel joke. If you make the team, you go to a training camp in Ojai for $125 instead of $625 and you pay $100 for the Arizona trip and beyond if you qualify. Pretty much a steal for room, board, travel (to AZ), uniforms, and coaching. ODP in other regions of the country may be a scam (you have to pay to be scouted at all and the costs are higher than an expensive club program), but not in Cal South since they created the Pro+ program and got Nike to underwrite it.

As for the camp, it's really not all that different from the LA Galaxy/LAFC camps or any of the College ID camps, all of which state that they use their camps for identification purposes. In the vast majority of cases, that's more to get you in the door and pay the high fees than because it happens very much. At least the Thatcher School is a heck of a lot nicer than some college campuses or the discount hotel in Carson used by the Galaxy.

Because most of the serious talent on the boys side plays Academy, which does not allow its players to participate in ODP.
But that doesn't make it a "cruel joke." You don't pay much for it and your kid gets to play soccer with other strong kids, some of whom have chosen not to try out or play for Academy because of distance or high school restrictions etc. Even if you take it for granted that not a single ODP kid could make it an Academy, it wouldn't be a cruel joke for those kids. They would be playing at their highest level with and against comparable competition. I took the poster's "cruel joke" comment to refer to the false hope it held out to the parents that their kids would have a chance to make ODP. If your actually does make ODP, though, there's nothing cruel about that, anymore than making a Premier, Gold, or Flight 1 team at a non-DA club isn't a cruel joke (indeed, it is less cruel than in the club setting because the cost is so much less).

Then that's a HUGE red flag!...friends that have boys said the 1 camp was really good for boys

It can be all of the above, as parents we want things that challenge them and continue to develop their skills. You didn't mention how old your kid is but, I'd say this camp is very good for U12-U15, after that, they should be attending ID camps if that's their interest. Both DD's went to ODP camp, oldest went at U13-U15, made camp MVP 3 times and they talked to her about attending ODP the following rotation that year, she said she wasn't interested as she didn't want to be away from home for that amount of time :)... Second DD went U13-U14 behind her sister, won MVP the last year for her age group and we moved on to other focus (Privates, soul cycle, weights) for both of their development and soccer journey's. Not everyone will get recruited, not everyone becomes an ODP player but, everyone has the opportunity to take their game to the next level, be pushed further and most importantly, try things they'd NEVER do on the pitch on their own. The oldest hit a bicycle kick at the camp, she still laughs about it but, never saw the attempt again during her club career. She's now off to play college in NY, gets to keep the dream alive and have a true love of the game. Youngest has 2 club years left but, both really enjoyed the ODP Camp experience, I just wouldn't do it with the thought of anything other than improving their game and getting them out of the house for a week! :cool:
Yes, it is amazing what the girls will do/ try when in a new environment without mommy, daddy and their coach around.

But that doesn't make it a "cruel joke." You don't pay much for it and your kid gets to play soccer with other strong kids, some of whom have chosen not to try out or play for Academy because of distance or high school restrictions etc. Even if you take it for granted that not a single ODP kid could make it an Academy, it wouldn't be a cruel joke for those kids. They would be playing at their highest level with and against comparable competition. I took the poster's "cruel joke" comment to refer to the false hope it held out to the parents that their kids would have a chance to make ODP. If your actually does make ODP, though, there's nothing cruel about that, anymore than making a Premier, Gold, or Flight 1 team at a non-DA club isn't a cruel joke (indeed, it is less cruel than in the club setting because the cost is so much less).

Good point, don't disagree. I just think that's what the OP meant.

The chances of having a good experience with the ODP camps are much higher than picking a random camp.

Remind me again what the "O" in ODP stands for? Psssh. What a joke. If the goal is to make an Olympic team, or simply into a national team Training Center pool, your best bet by a long shot is to make it on to a USSDA team. The National Team scouting network is focused exclusively there. ODP's day is past. It's become a B team showcase

Must agree with the majority of sentiments here. Good experience as an away camp with nice facilities and amenities. Mediocre at best in terms soccer experience. They exploit the ODP/ Cal South name and use it to run the "business" of soccer training. Quality of training was no different than local ODP day camps. The carrot of ODP identification is dangled as a marketing tool without a legitimate assessment or feedback. Evaluation card looked like it could have been filled out prior to camp. All "excellent" with no real constructive input. Lackluster experience and would not recommend if soccer training is the primary concern. If your child wants to go to away camp and do passing drills and small-sided games for several days with a couple of friends then this is the camp for you. If you are serious about soccer development... not so much. Would not do again.

Totally disagree. My DD loved it. Had a blast. Made a bunch of new friends from the valley to San Diego and everything in between. She already has like 3 different group texts going. My kid loves nothing more than food and soccer. So after 4 days of 3 all you can eat meals and 3 soccer field sessions a day we had to drag her outta there. If you think you can pay for your kid to get scouted then your delusional to start with. My DD has been to a variety of camps every summer and this is actually the first that was soccer centered. Many other camps my kid spended most of the time doing crafts and what not. She can't wait to go again.

I have never sent my kids to an ODP camp, but I have to ask are there any parents who have been to the camp from moment one to the last?

Back