ODP and High School Soccer

2 of their announced players were only in the ODP player pool. Both did NOT make the ODP team in their respective birth years. I would say...it was the name brand club and playing ECNL that got them their offers. I would even venture to post....they didn't get much in athletic money, but instead being admitted into UCLA the prize.
Hmmm. Not accurate.

V. Villacorta - Won USYS National Championships in 2015 and 2016 with Cal South ODP teams

H. Sharts - Member of Cal South ODP team that won the National Championship

D. Satterwhite - Cal South ODP player (maybe only player pool??)

If all the freshman from the Cal South ODP '98 national championship team had stayed together they would have likely been an Elite 8 team. My player's college coaches said that her performance at the ODP regional championships made her a priority recruit and she wan't even ranked in the top 75 of her recruiting class by TDS but ended up being one of their top ten freshman by the end of the year. Her college just committed a player who has no YNT experience but killed it at the ODP regional championships. My point is they have found great players at ODP and aren't suddenly going to stop looking for players there when it has worked for them every year up to this point.

College coaches aren't into reinventing the wheel and even Anson Dorrance (who coached the US Women's WNT to the inaugural WWC title and also has 23 national championships as a college coach) said that he is going to wait and see how it goes and made a point to emphasize that he doesn't agree with a top down approach to development. He is arguably the greatest women's soccer coach of all time and they are going against him. No surprise that 2016 was the least successful year for the women's side of US soccer.[/QUOTE
Well gee, the rest of the world is catching up! Many Asian countries have their "equivalent club" teams practice five days a week! That will produce success, at least in soccer. Can you just imagine what our parents would say? Poor kids, no time for friends, TV, iphones, iPads, dances, football games, parties, face timing, tweeter, instagram, iPods, chilling, etc. etc. etc. There is an old saying that says, "the more you do something, the better you get, the better you get the more you do it."

Hmmm. Not accurate.

V. Villacorta - Won USYS National Championships in 2015 and 2016 with Cal South ODP teams

H. Sharts - Member of Cal South ODP team that won the National Championship

D. Satterwhite - Cal South ODP player (maybe only player pool??)
Actually you're NOT accurate. These players are in my DDs age group and I know the players like the back of my hand. Not to mention she has played with a few of the committed UCLA players; Ashley, Karina, Satterwhite, Billinghausen , and Sharts either on her prior club team, ODP G99 and or ODP Region IV ream.

You are also missing a player from your list above!

Are you suggesting there is something wrong with parents who would like their soccer player daughters to also have friends and a social life? What's your point?

How would you know? Your DD's club coaches didn't allow your DD to participate in it. It's funny though...I know a player on your DDs team that did, made the final team and eventually got a YNT invite.

I almost forgot, I bet it shows nicely on her player resume.

Cal-South ODP 2001 team 2015, 2016 and 2017
2 time ODP Region IV Champions 2015, 2016 and 2017
US Soccer YNT U16 Camp 2016
Then add her club team accomplishments

Doesn't look like crap to me.

FYI, your DDs college head coach was the Director of the ODP Region IV ID Camp 3 years ago.

People can bury their heads in the sand all they want. ECNL and ODP have been a great platform for youth soccer up to this point, and may continue for a couple more years. GDA will in no way "water down" anything, anymore than ECNL did at its inception. ECNL was a new platform at the time, and with an excellent biz plan and marketing, it was successful at grabbing the attention of College coaches as the pool to swim in. "Most" of the elite players wanted to play for an ECNL team. GDA is just another platform, but with a different set of rules and restrictions, like them or not. If successful, like ECNL, ODP gets watered down as will ECNL. Only a fool will believe that College coaches won't be turning thier primary attention to the direction of GDA. This IS the current landscape of youth soccer. It's only speculation as to how it will all work out.

People can bury their heads in the sand all they want. ECNL and ODP have been a great platform for youth soccer up to this point, and may continue for a couple more years. GDA will in no way "water down" anything, anymore than ECNL did at its inception. ECNL was a new platform at the time, and with an excellent biz plan and marketing, it was successful at grabbing the attention of College coaches as the pool to swim in. "Most" of the elite players wanted to play for an ECNL team. GDA is just another platform, but with a different set of rules and restrictions, like them or not. If successful, like ECNL, ODP gets watered down as will ECNL. Only a fool will believe that College coaches won't be turning thier primary attention to the direction of GDA. This IS the current landscape of youth soccer. It's only speculation as to how it will all work out.

I think the point that you are missing is that when ECNL started it was successful clubs that were already putting players into college and onto the YNTs. The college coaches didn't have to change their behavior. They were still going to the same clubs just organized in such a way as to insure that those clubs played each other regularly. In addition, the top schools were picking their players from the YNT camps and ODP regional and national tournaments and following it up by observing them in their club environment playing ECNL games. ECNL was just an enhancement of an existing system. ECNL did not ban high school. They let the individual clubs in the individual markets decide what was best for their membership. The idea was to let the soccer people on the front lines make the decisions based upon what they saw on the ground in their market and to have a platform for most of the best players to compete regionally and nationally.

Your beloved holy grail GDA, which you admit you know very little about, is a top down attempt at controlling the market that is unprecedented in youth sports. The funny part about it is that we are talking about many of the same teams, with the same pool of coaches, teaching the same thing. Then you add in some less accomplished clubs, that may or may not have accomplished coaches. Then you saturate some markets and leave some pretty significant metro areas either underrepresented or ignored completely.

College coaches will go where they have found players in the past in addition to checking out the shiny new toy. I applaud you for pursuing what you think is the best for your player with such vigor. Good luck to you and her.

Don't call it "my" holy grail GDA, MAP. I'm not a champion for it, and not trying to sell it anyone on it. Just stating my opinion. You say yourself that it's the same clubs, coaches, etc. but add in a few more "less accomplished clubs". Maybe GDA will have a different affect regionally? But, here in SoCal, I think he writing is on the wall. JMO. I'm not an expert on the subject, nor do I have the experience that some of you all have. But, I also don't think it's necessary to see what's happening. Much respect MAP, glad you and your DD are past this transition and don't have to deal with it.

Don't call it "my" holy grail GDA, MAP. I'm not a champion for it, and not trying to sell it anyone on it. Just stating my opinion. You say yourself that it's the same clubs, coaches, etc. but add in a few more "less accomplished clubs". Maybe GDA will have a different affect regionally? But, here in SoCal, I think he writing is on the wall. JMO. I'm not an expert on the subject, nor do I have the experience that some of you all have. But, I also don't think it's necessary to see what's happening. Much respect MAP, glad you and your DD are past this transition and don't have to deal with it.

Hey one of the less accomplished clubs I actually like is Beach. They were always good in my players age group even before the SCDSL/CSL split. We will see what that writing on the wall in SoCal is. Again, for the clubs in SoCal that are consistently putting out college and YNT players, that will not change. We will see how it all settles out. Good luck you you and your player.

ODP is trash - end of story.

I would not call the opportunity to win a legit National Title trash.

2016-xx-xx-Zoe%20ringsDSC_2565.jpg.jpg

Back