National Cup

Looking closer, it looks like they used the CRL standings to get their top seeds.

Albion SC B05 Academy - A1
SD Surf Academy Boys Select 2005 - Group I1
West Coast FC B05 Rubio - E1
Legends FC Boys West B05 FC - D1
Boca Juniors OC - B05 - C1
Strikers FC - South Coast B05 - G1
Albion SC South - F1
Total Futbol Academy - B1
Fullerton Rangers B05 White - H1

That could be the reason for what appears random. Assume the top teams play in CRL so they get the top seeds, then blind draw for the rest.

Looking closer, it looks like they used the CRL standings to get their top seeds.

Albion SC B05 Academy - A1
SD Surf Academy Boys Select 2005 - Group I1
West Coast FC B05 Rubio - E1
Legends FC Boys West B05 FC - D1
Boca Juniors OC - B05 - C1
Strikers FC - South Coast B05 - G1
Albion SC South - F1
Total Futbol Academy - B1
Fullerton Rangers B05 White - H1

That could be the reason for what appears random. Assume the top teams play in CRL so they get the top seeds, then blind draw for the rest.
I didn't think Cal South would get it right, I'm not surprised. Corinthians could really throw a wrench into things. There do look to be some wide open groups: B - TFA, LAG, Strikers 2 should be interesting. F - Laufa, Murrieta, Albion South looks pretty good as well. Let's play ball and hope we all avoid Apple Valley/Lancaster.

Since schedules are out, nice to see Albion (#1 seed) start out with a cupcake in 1st game, vs #36 seed Strikers. Well done Cal South....

If it is the same Albion team that StrikersM1 played and lost to in Surf Cup, it could be a good game.

Strikers lost to Albion South Academy in Surf Cup . The team in the Strikers bracket is Albion SC Academy , who currently lead the CRL standings and are a stronger team then Albion South Academy.

Perhaps the Albion South Academy team had guest players when they beat the strikers , I have no idea . Maybe someone might comment on that .

I do believe Albion SC Academy along with Legends West and Total Futbol Pre-Academy are the three teams with the best chance of upsetting the Strikers who I think are the deserving favorite.

Albion SC Academy along with Legends West and Total Futbol Pre-Academy are the three teams with the best chance of upsetting the Strikers who I think are the deserving favorite.
You may be right. But the schedule DOES show Strikers as the #36 seed, and not the favorites at all. Very odd indeed ... they are #1 by most accounts?

You may be right. But the schedule DOES show Strikers as the #36 seed, and not the favorites at all. Very odd indeed ... they are #1 by most accounts?

The National Cup people ranked only the teams that were in the CRL standings . Everyone else was
" ranked " in a blind draw . An earlier post showed this to be true. Obviously this method has some major flaws. " Youth soccer rankings " would have been better . Reviewing all recent league standings would have been better. But that's not what they did

And since Strikers chose not to play in CRL they were seeded # 36 by blind draw .

I think most people who follow this age group would have Strikers first or second.

The National Cup people ranked only the teams that were in the CRL standings . Everyone else was
" ranked " in a blind draw . An earlier post showed this to be true. Obviously this method has some major flaws. " Youth soccer rankings " would have been better . Reviewing all recent league standings would have been better. But that's not what they did

And since Strikers chose not to play in CRL they were seeded # 36 by blind draw .

I think most people who follow this age group would have Strikers first or second.
And is this why the Strikers chose not to play in CRL? Knowing they would have an easier first round in National Cup? Just curious...I would never think of it but when you lay it all out like that......

And is this why the Strikers chose not to play in CRL? Knowing they would have an easier first round in National Cup? Just curious...I would never think of it but when you lay it all out like that......

I don't know why they chose not to play CRL . But I'm sure it was not to get an easier first round .

1) Last spring when teams applied for CRL , I don't think National Cup people had decided how they would do the seeding .

2) If you come in first in CRL standings you get an automatic berth to the National Cup - Regional playoffs , regardless of where you finish in SoCal National Cup playoffs. There are 3 levels of National Cup playoffs .

SoCal - state level
Regional playoffs - multiple state level
National Playoffs - which this age group ( 2005 ) is not eligible. ( considered too young I guess )

3) If they had known that CRL standings would be used for seeding that would have been more incentive to play CSL and not be put into a blind draw where they could play a top team in the first round , which is what happened . They drew Albion SC Academy , which is a top team and is seeded #1 .

Coach doesn't want them playing that many games. With practices, scrimmages and the events they do enter, he feels it's enough play time.

I don't know why they chose not to play CRL . But I'm sure it was not to get an easier first round .

1) Last spring when teams applied for CRL , I don't think National Cup people had decided how they would do the seeding .

2) If you come in first in CRL standings you get an automatic berth to the National Cup - Regional playoffs , regardless of where you finish in SoCal National Cup playoffs. There are 3 levels of National Cup playoffs .

SoCal - state level
Regional playoffs - multiple state level
National Playoffs - which this age group ( 2005 ) is not eligible. ( considered too young I guess )

3) If they had known that CRL standings would be used for seeding that would have been more incentive to play CSL and not be put into a blind draw where they could play a top team in the first round , which is what happened . They drew Albion SC Academy , which is a top team and is seeded #1 .
Coach doesn't want them playing that many games. With practices, scrimmages and the events they do enter, he feels it's enough play time.
Smart coach!

Smart coach!

I see that the National Cup game schedules for first round bracket play on Feb 18 and 19 have been taken down for all age groups.
I hope they aren't changing the field venues for any games or age groups to Lancaster !

They changed the target date for schedules from 2nd week of January to 3rd week of January .
My calendar says we are in the middle of the 4th week . Maybe an update is in order .

Back