National Cup 2019

Cal South used to adhere to a strict seeding policy for National Cup -- the top N teams from last year's tournament got the top N seeds in this year's tournament (where N was usually 16, as I recall), unless there was a good reason to follow some other guidance. All other positions were assigned by a blind draw. Is that no longer the case?

Cal South used to adhere to a strict seeding policy for National Cup -- the top N teams from last year's tournament got the top N seeds in this year's tournament (where N was usually 16, as I recall), unless there was a good reason to follow some other guidance. All other positions were assigned by a blind draw. Is that no longer the case?

I looked it up --

5.6. Entries into the National Cup will be seeded and placed in brackets based primarily on California Regional League participation and the previous year’s National Cup results, providing that the team returning has on their current season’s roster nine (9) players common. If a team has changed their club affiliation since last year, or if a team has changed their team number or made a change to their name, the NCPC must be notified in writing (email will suffice) of these changes when the team first applies to the tournament.

That's a looser method than I remembered.

I looked it up --

5.6. Entries into the National Cup will be seeded and placed in brackets based primarily on California Regional League participation and the previous year’s National Cup results, providing that the team returning has on their current season’s roster nine (9) players common. If a team has changed their club affiliation since last year, or if a team has changed their team number or made a change to their name, the NCPC must be notified in writing (email will suffice) of these changes when the team first applies to the tournament.

That's a looser method than I remembered.
It's not only loose, they failed to follow their own guidelines. Surf didn't play CRL so this is CS's way of showing them who's boss. No disrespect to Pats and SoCal Academy, both good teams, but they didn't win a game in CRL and both got #1 bracket seeds and are seeded higher than the defending champs with 12 returnees??? This is more about politics and business than protocol. Like I said earlier, all the teams have to win tough games to take the title but CS did all it could to stack the odds against Surf. Unfairly penalizing hard working young girls shows a total lack of integrity.

It's not only loose, they failed to follow their own guidelines. Surf didn't play CRL so this is CS's way of showing them who's boss. No disrespect to Pats and SoCal Academy, both good teams, but they didn't win a game in CRL and both got #1 bracket seeds and are seeded higher than the defending champs with 12 returnees??? This is more about politics and business than protocol. Like I said earlier, all the teams have to win tough games to take the title but CS did all it could to stack the odds against Surf. Unfairly penalizing hard working young girls shows a total lack of integrity.

"Their own guidelines" appear to show CRL ahead of last year's National Cup.

Is this the latest Surf koolaid?

"Their own guidelines" appear to show CRL ahead of last year's National Cup.

Is this the latest Surf koolaid?
I'm just going off your post where you wrote, "based primarily on CRL participation AND the previous year's National Cup results..." Where do you see one weighted higher than the other? If it does weight them, it would have been helpful to post that info. Not sure how this is Surf Kool Aid much less the "latest". What's that supposed to mean??

I'm just going off your post where you wrote, "based primarily on CRL participation AND the previous year's National Cup results..." Where do you see one weighted higher than the other? If it does weight them, it would have been helpful to post that info. Not sure how this is Surf Kool Aid much less the "latest". What's that supposed to mean??

I read it as "primarily CRL participation". Do you think the Surf coaches did not know that?

I read it as "primarily CRL participation". Do you think the Surf coaches did not know that?
I have no idea what the Surf coaches know. Like I said, I'm just going off what you wrote - in its entirety. I agree with you though, the phrase "primarily on CRL participation" is seriously loose. Maybe CS's criteria is if a team played CRL and their players have pulses, that takes precedent:)

Wow, CalSouth and Integrity in the same paragraph.

You can play ECNL and CRL. Look at the 05's, Arsenal and Strikers are in both leagues, and they are both playing in National Cup. Same with DPL teams, they are in both DPL, CRL and playing in National Cup.

Strikers ecnl 05s are not playing national cup.

I think "With Pace" got it right earlier in the thread. Surf probably planned on playing CRL but after getting removed from ECNL it was probably too late. Maybe it is Surf Kool Aid after all :) - but I seriously doubt it.

Last year, I think they used CRL standings to do the seeding. LAGSB was the top seeded team in National Cup 2018 as the team was in first place in CRL at the time that brackets were done, but hadn't won State Cup Presidents in 2017 nor was the team the top ranked SoCal team in YSR. So at least CalSouth is somewhat consistent year over year in their methodology even if this year Surf Select gets a bum deal.

Last year, I think they used CRL standings to do the seeding. LAGSB was the top seeded team in National Cup 2018 as the team was in first place in CRL at the time that brackets were done, but hadn't won State Cup Presidents in 2017 nor was the team the top ranked SoCal team in YSR. So at least CalSouth is somewhat consistent year over year in their methodology even if this year Surf Select gets a bum deal.
It’s a sad day when Got Soccer’s rankings are more accurate than Cal South’s!

You can play ECNL and CRL. Look at the 05's, Arsenal and Strikers are in both leagues, and they are both playing in National Cup. Same with DPL teams, they are in both DPL, CRL and playing in National Cup.
I don’t think that is correct.

Back