National Cup 2017

Yes, they were denied by SCDSL. It happens more than you think. For obvious reasons, teams don't advertise that they didn't get the flight they wanted:)

They were kind of middle of the pack in flight 2 the year before, but then picked up some very strong players, as well having 4 players that were playing up '05 flight 1, dropping down to play their own age. Those additions can certainly change a team.

Apparently, some people think it's pretty funny to think they might hold their own in National Cup. They certainly will be the underdog in any game, but I know it would really suck for any of those other teams to get beaten by a "flight 2" team :eek:
Looks like your girls are going to get the chance to show their stuff early with your first game against SD Surf B. A win there will make a statement and set you up to win the group!

I think there are several heavy favorites in the group, leading to most of the top seeds advancing. However, you are right that there are some groups that could see a lower seed advance. It feels like there are at least a dozen teams that really don’t have any chance whatsoever to play beyond group play. Picking wildcards is difficult because it can really come down to how strong the 3rd/4th teams are in the group. I also think the size of the fields and size of the goals could be a factor for some of these teams. My thoughts on the groups for you to pick apart...

Group A (LAGSB I #4, Pats IER #20, Albion Hughes #30, Crescenta #77); LAGSB is the clear favorite here. They have some of the best talent in the middle and up top for this age group. They have only lost to Legends, Albion and Blues over the last eight months, so It would be shocking to me if they don’t advance easily. They are one of the top four teams and I’d be surprised if they are knocked out before semifinals.

Group B (CDA Cerritos #7, Slammers AW #18, FC Golden State #33, DMCV #51); CDA has some good athletes and can challenge the top teams on any given day. I’m not a huge fan of the screaming from the coach, but his approach seems to work for these girls. While the smart money is probably on them to win this group, Slammers AW (I am assuming this is Slammers AWCB 2 by the way) has had some good games and at least has a chance to win if everything falls their way in the game against CDA.

Group C (San Diego Navy #19, Slammers CB #9, Eagles #21, Beach Torres #31); San Diego Navy is the top seed in this group, but Slammers (I am assuming this is Slammers AWCB 1 here) are ranked higher per YSR. The two played to a tie in league back in October, but I think Slammers is a team on the rise lately. They have taken some time to gel over the course of the season, but have had some sold games as the year progressed. SD Navy surprised most last year at State Cup though, so don’t count them out. I give the slight nod to Slammers to win this group over SD Navy, but it seems like the 2nd place team should move forward with a WC spot.
I think you have the two Slammers team mixed up. Looks to me like "Slammers AW" is actually Slammers AWCB 1 and "Slammers CB" is Slammers AWCB 2. I am not sure why AWCB 2 would be seeded ahead of AWCB 1 in the tournament, but that is the way it looks to me. If so, I would think CDA got a tougher draw than expected and San Diego Navy an easier path to win their group.

I think you have the two Slammers team mixed up. Looks to me like "Slammers AW" is actually Slammers AWCB 1 and "Slammers CB" is Slammers AWCB 2. I am not sure why AWCB 2 would be seeded ahead of AWCB 1 in the tournament, but that is the way it looks to me. If so, I would think CDA got a tougher draw than expected and San Diego Navy an easier path to win their group.
I don't know how you can tell, but would agree with your assessment on the groups if you are right.

One interesting thing I just saw on the schedule is that groups J and K (the two groups of 3 instead of 4) actually play the three teams from the opposite group instead of just playing two games within their group. What if SD Surf A wins their first two games (including beating Anaheim) and is in position to win their group regardless of whether they win their 3rd game (which is against SD Surf B). Could they sandbag that last game in order to allow their sister team to win the group? Not saying they would, but it seems like a schedule like this makes it possible and I love a good conspiracy theory.

Since I'm on a conference call and don't really need to pay attention, I looked at the National Cup groups and a 16-team seeded single elimination tournament bracket.

Assuming no upsets and that all of the top teams win their groups (a big assumption), here's what a potential round of 16 looks like utilizing the Cal South seeding. No idea if this is how it will work however.

View attachment 1947

So looking at the Ladder view, the round of 16 is set up this same way. Most likely, top seeds in each group won't all get through, and it's hard to predict the wild cards as well since they depend on the how tough the bracket is overall. One interesting match up in the pool play is the Surf Select vs. Anaheim Surf, which I think is a rematch of last year's final.

I had a Newport Slammers parent tell me the teams were mixed up, but I still don't see how. On the "Brackets" page B#15 lists Winn as the coach and C#14 lists Bull as the coach: https://cysa.affinitysoccer.com/tou...mentguid=8F336501-E4EB-43DD-8288-B1577107F046

I had a Newport Slammers parent tell me the teams were mixed up, but I still don't see how. On the "Brackets" page B#15 lists Winn as the coach and C#14 lists Bull as the coach: https://cysa.affinitysoccer.com/tou...mentguid=8F336501-E4EB-43DD-8288-B1577107F046

Slammers naming of teams and interchangeable coaches causing confusion at 05 and 06 Nat Cup. Well, if we're talking tips I'll back Surf 06 Barclay to win, but Legends are huge and v direct so they're always a threat.

Slammers naming of teams and interchangeable coaches causing confusion at 05 and 06 Nat Cup. Well, if we're talking tips I'll back Surf 06 Barclay to win, but Legends are huge and v direct so they're always a threat.

If the Surf and Legends side of the bracket plays out as predicted by YSR and league play, then Surf and Legends will be playing in one of the semi-finals. A lot of soccer to be played, injuries & colds (knock on wood), etc. so don't count your chickens, but it would be a great match-up.

My understanding with league flight placement in SCDSL is that Flight 2 and 3 are granted "no questions asked", but to play Flight 1- you have to prove that you are a flight 1 team. Either through prior league record, recent tournaments or showing that you have significantly upgraded your team.
Interesting, as always, how some teams will elect to play down just to win a trophy not understanding or not caring that it is a disservice to their players. Oh well, it is a "trophy" for their club and helps pay them

We’ve actually played both teams and AW CB 2 was a better team than AW CB 1, but whatever, rankings are close. National Cup seeding considers more tourneys, not just gotsoccer, and SCDSL also, so more accurate than gotsoccer (you can argue).

How do you know that CB is AW CB2 and AW is AW CB1? Checked, and on the SCDSL team pages, coaches are reversed. You on the AW CB 1 team?

My picks are both Surfs (Ok, I’m a homer), Legends, and LAGSB are top picks to win with Anaheim Surf right there. I would say:

Surf A: 4/1
Legends: 4/1
LAGSB: 5/1
Anaheim Surf: 5/1
Albion: 7/1
Blues: 7/1
Surf B: 11/1
Surf C: 35/1
WCFC/OC Surf: 35/1

So looking at the Ladder view, the round of 16 is set up this same way. Most likely, top seeds in each group won't all get through, and it's hard to predict the wild cards as well since they depend on the how tough the bracket is overall. One interesting match up in the pool play is the Surf Select vs. Anaheim Surf, which I think is a rematch of last year's final.

My $$ is on SD Surf to win this years match up with Anaheim

The J vs K bracket match up could be really interesting on the third day of group play. I think someone else may have pointed this out, but both Surf Select and Surf AB could come into the third game 2-0 and a Surf AB win would then eliminate Anaheim Surf. That scenario might create a few Surf conspiracy theories... Last year birth certificates, this year match fixing! ;):D

The J vs K bracket match up could be really interesting on the third day of group play. I think someone else may have pointed this out, but both Surf Select and Surf AB could come into the third game 2-0 and a Surf AB win would then eliminate Anaheim Surf. That scenario might create a few Surf conspiracy theories... Last year birth certificates, this year match fixing! ;):D
And, lets keep the attorneys out of it too.

I’m pretty sure AS would still get a WC spot even if that did happen.

Let's see if Cal-South can get something right and get the 06's playing on fields bigger than the 08/09's... Seeing some of these nearly full-grown sized girls playing on mini-fields makes the game UGLY and predictable.

Let's see if Cal-South can get something right and get the 06's playing on fields bigger than the 08/09's... Seeing some of these nearly full-grown sized girls playing on mini-fields makes the game UGLY and predictable.
They should be fine. Silverlakes field size was perfect for the 06's during CRL and league.

They should be fine. Silverlakes field size was perfect for the 06's during CRL and league.
Every tournament we've played there, the fields have been on the 'way too small' side... I understand field pressure but having girls this big and powerful on tiny fields encourages 'ugly' soccer. When the gk's can kick the ball end to end, the game is ruined. My .02.

That said, I hope you are right!

Back