Mountain Pacific Championship

Not to open Pandora's box, I'll just say both teams deserved to be in the finals and both teams played a great game. I would have liked to watch these teams play against each other on the bigger field 11vs11 but I'll never get that wish because the Strikers team no longer exist.

It was a great game. Strikers score right as first half ends. Strikers let in two quick ones with 10 minutes or so into the second half. After Beach scored their first one they surprised strikers with another one in less than a minute later. I thought those fields looked a little small.

It was a very good match. When it comes to girls soccer, we are so lucky to live in SoCal. Let's see if this link to a summary of the match works:
The girls were great! Awesome game. We are lucky to live in So cal. I love the parent commentary too.

Yes. Unfortunately the other states play 9vs9 at 05. To accommodate the other states, the tournament was played on the smaller field and 9vs9.
Got it. No wonder So Cal dominated. These girls have been playing 11v11 for 2 years (maybe 3?). I'm sure they have a strong starting 11. But to trim that to a starting 9, that's a lot of firepower to bring off of the bench.

Got it. No wonder So Cal dominated. These girls have been playing 11v11 for 2 years (maybe 3?). I'm sure they have a strong starting 11. But to trim that to a starting 9, that's a lot of firepower to bring off of the bench.

That's funny. One SoCal team had no subs for the first game. :rolleyes:

It was actually a bit of a challenge for our SoCal team because of the smaller goals, and because we are used to passing into space that just does not exist on the smaller field- had to adjust to that. As an overall concept, I didn't get 9v9 before this, but as it progressed, I could see why it could be helpful. Hard to play kickball since keepers or defenders who sent it long quite often created turnovers as the ball went out or to opposing defense. It diminishes the speed factor, but revs up the quickness in small space- since players can close in rapidly- and emphasizes skill for sure, as a poor turn or a bad touch will also most likely lead to a turnover. Most keepers could reach to the top of the goal, and move well from side to side within it. So, on offense, it was necessary to let plays develop, to pass the ball in front of the goal, moving the keeper out of the middle, and finding an open spot to shoot into. This was a key aspect. It was very, very difficult to simply launch shots from a distance and expect to hit. I can see the benefit of this format going forward for the U11/U12 group as long as it is played on the appropriate field size, (no smaller!) as this was. That is imperative.

Back