More on helmets --

“What we found, like you said, was that helmets do protect against some injuries, which is great,” Porter said. “They protect against skull fractures and cervical spine injuries. But at the same time they have limitations. And in our population, which is severely interested patients who are evaluated by the [Dartmouth-Hitchcock] trauma center, we found that helmets are not protecting against more serious head injury, like intracranial hemorrhage or brain bleed.”

Best way to avid head injury from skiing.....don't ski.....best way to avoid any chance of injury.....never leave your own bed.....you'll need some ointment for the bed sores though....;)

Of course there are limits to everything. But how do you think your melon would do slamming into a tree vs being covered with a helmet when you impact that tree? I think it goes without saying. I'm willing to bet the more serious head injury is probably going to be death because the head had zero impact protection.
We ride dirt bikes. Many people wear neck braces because they are supposed to help protect the cervical spine in case of a catastrophic neck injury/impact. Many pros stopped wearing them because they felt they rode better without one . (They do feel a bit constricting but you get used to it.) A few top riders still wear them. There are some cases out there where the neck brace made the injury worse. And some where had there not been a brace on the person would probably be dead. I choose to wear one when I ride. I make my kids wear them too. Just my .02

Back