MLSNext/EA tryouts?

SoCal1234

BRONZE
Seeing a lot of tryouts posted and they are only half way through the season, if your son is not currently on an MLSNext/EA team, what do you do until the new season starts? Can you join the team now? Are rosters frozen?

Seeing a lot of tryouts posted and they are only half way through the season, if your son is not currently on an MLSNext/EA team, what do you do until the new season starts? Can you join the team now? Are rosters frozen?
You can join a team whenever. Some rosters are deep, others are not. Also, if your son is playing ECNL, your teaming might have you fulfill the commitment for the season.

My nephew on my wife's side plays for FCGS and some are trying to leave because they lose all the time. He's a great player. He told me over Thanksgiving that his team is getting killed by Galaxy and LAFC. Those teams are fully funded btw and makes it a big challenge to beat them and basically impossible. He has to pay to play as well. His end game is college 100% and he will play for sure in college because he has 4.0+ and is one of the smartest kids I know. He hates to lose and wants closer games but now his coach says it's all about winning a deal in college and not the score on da field. I will check with my sister in law and see what the rules are for you.

You can join a team whenever. Some rosters are deep, others are not. Also, if your son is playing ECNL, your teaming might have you fulfill the commitment for the season.

There are some freeze periods. Don't know what they are for each league (MLS Academy, MLS Next, EA such as before playoffs) but I don't think we are in one now . But have run afoul of them in the past.

SoCal league member clubs have an agreement between each other on tryouts (e.g. youngers tryout cannot start until Dec 5), and so do ECNL members. But there is no such restriction if you come from a non-member club. I don't know if MLS Next/EA have a similar rule, but last year my nephew's EA team started adding players from non-member clubs after November.

There might be some very limited roster freeze days for MLS Next, but effectively roster spots are open year round if you're good enough (at least for SD teams). If you're waiting for tryouts you're already behind the curve. Open tryouts are one of the least productive ways to find a team. I have no clue about EA.

Back