MLS Academies - Training Compensation

From a negotiation standpoint, Where do you go when MLS offers 50k/year? Universities shell out more than 50k on a full scholarship.
It’s an insult to be on a u20 World Cup roster and be offered 50k/year

Yup part of problem is the wage scale, but the other part is limiting competition and that's was MLS, USSF, and ussda has done with there closed system and practices.

Those Euporean clubs aren't paying new academy recruits that much either, 100k living in eupore playing on the u23 or second teams is not that much different financially vs MLS top recuits get from the get go on homegrown deals. MLS needs to figure out how to increase the wage scale for all players and not just give the $7+ million dollars away annually to many of the aging Euporean players that come over to sell tickets.

I’m starting to think MLS coaches are blind to talent when it’s right in front of their noses. MLS still believes players have to go looking in Europe for opportunities when there are many more avenues compared to years past

My son was invited to participate in the USL-West combine after his college playing days ran out. From my biased viewpoint he did pretty well, but most of the players invited back for the second day had been brought in from Latin America just for the combine.

If and when (if ever?) USSF agrees to split training compensation with players' clubs of record, expect lawsuits from parents asking for at least a portion of club fees paid over the years, and those with better-preserved documents a cut of the more-or-less compulsory tournament and "team camp" fees.

I can certainly see this happening and TBH wouldn't blame them. They have paid, likely, tens of thousands of dollars to the club and associated costs like team fees, hotel fees, gas etc. They have probably invested untold hours and probably paid private trainers and paid for camps etc.

So for a club to say, "we developed him/her, give me $", despite them already having been paid ... like its all on them! Yeah, right.

I think the firing of BK had less to do with Uly & Mendez and more new management, imho. Galaxy never really promoted Mendez until he started to get call ups with US Soccer. BK's team has been to the play-offs many of times but never quite finished 1st, LAFC has taken over the LA region in terms of recruitment. There was definitely a good ole boy network going on between BK and his crew and I think DTK found a way to let him go.
Galaxy will not change until it cleans house (get rid of existing coaches) and bring in a new staff.

I think the firing of BK had less to do with Uly & Mendez and more new management, imho. Galaxy never really promoted Mendez until he started to get call ups with US Soccer. BK's team has been to the play-offs many of times but never quite finished 1st, LAFC has taken over the LA region in terms of recruitment. There was definitely a good ole boy network going on between BK and his crew and I think BTK found a way to let him go.
Galaxy will not change until it cleans house (get rid of existing coaches) and bring in a new staff.
Tend to agree here. The Uly/Alex thing gave LAG the excuse to fire BK mid-contract/mid-season, but guessing there were other factors as well. Rumors that the housecleaning, or at least the planning for it, has begun. Guessing a few coaches stay on, depending on how they're viewed by new leadership, but things will change at LAG Academy...new blood, new eyes on players, more resources, more demands for excellence on and off the field. DTK has been very clear about that. Movement has been in the right direction so far, albeit slow out the gate. No one has come in with guns blazing. It feels thought-out and methodical.

Back