Mexican/Latin Leagues

Yes they are organized some are not ,that why you do your homework before plays in one. It’s better than a ref league or Ayso where they get babied. Kids actually enjoy theyselfs , built good skills develop a bit faster due tend to pick bad habits. But hey I send some southbay clubs play in league of these and get their butt handed to them.

My son enjoys it, but as hes getting older, its about the balance of "how much soccer is too much soccer" so I opted him out this year (he still plays a few pick up games in San Juan and Anaheim here and there)
Its fun BUT you get what you pay for , $35 a yr vs $3500 a yr--
  • Everyone there loves the game
  • Family environment
  • Refs let the games go , not many fouls get called.
  • Age's are all over the place-Co ED too.
  • Ive had more than a handful of teams just never show up with no notice.
  • no practice's .
  • I recommend it.

My son enjoys it, but as hes getting older, its about the balance of "how much soccer is too much soccer" so I opted him out this year (he still plays a few pick up games in San Juan and Anaheim here and there)
Its fun BUT you get what you pay for , $35 a yr vs $3500 a yr--
  • Everyone there loves the game
  • Family environment
  • Refs let the games go , not many fouls get called.
  • Age's are all over the place-Co ED too.
  • Ive had more than a handful of teams just never show up with no notice.
  • no practice's .
  • I recommend it.

For a couple of years, I played adult pickup every Sunday at 8AM. We played with no set teams, just half of whoever showed up on each side, with "trades" if one side was clearly ahead of the other.

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread. My kids played in these leagues a lot before going to any club. I'll come back tonight and post a response. (posting so I don't forget) :)

What do people think about the local Mexican/Latin leagues?

Good?

I have heard about some in the LA and OC area.

Can anyone suggest a good league?

My gringito has played club while playing for 2 Mexican league teams over the past 4 years. This has been huge for his development and he is at a really high level right now with many accomplishments under his belt.

His north Orange County league team is filled with ballers he met while playing for TFA. These are kids with huge passion for the game and come from everywhere to play. Pumas, Anaheim FC , TFA, AC Brea, Legends, Irvine Strikers are all together on one team. It’s like a traveling rock star show. There are academy kids out there too who aren’t technically supposed to play but do so when they can fit it in.

Anyway, my take aways are: tons of time playing and getting touches on the ball. These teams always play and since my son plays for u14 and u12 teams in Saturday , Sunday and Friday leagues, the number of games one can get is crazy! He sometimes has 7 or 8 games a week when you add in the occasional club game. Yes it’s overkill for many, but you can tweak it to what you need. My son is a freak for playing and training he loves it and the Mexican leagues keep him sane because he can always play.

Club can’t offer so much time on the ball. These guys practice constantly and don’t take the usual breaks that club does. Plus there’s the value and bang for the buck factor. For about 40 bucks a month to cover refs and training your child can up his or her game big time. Compared to the thousands of dollars demanded by clubs this is an amazing bargain.

The skills learned in the Mexican league aren’t something practiced by most club teams. LA Galalaxy and LAFC have already pulled 7 players from this one age group I’ve been watching. In general they overlap, they step over the ball better, they play with their heads up and look for the channels better. Of course this varies from team to team but the top teams in these leagues always have flair and passion that isn’t seen as much at club where a bunch of non ballers can infiltrate because their parents can pay the fees. There are some really bad teams as well but as players get better they tend to migrate to the better ones.

It isn’t all perfect: there are some really belligerent parents and coaches ( not many though) but club has the same problems.

What I truly admire about the Mexican leagues is the dedication of some of the coaches. My son has played for academy, many excellent flight 1 teams, and his school. The fact is that he has a couple of coaches in Anaheim and Buena Park Mexican leagues that are flat out better coaches and soccer minds and who are hugely passionate about moving their best players along for a chance to play in college one day. These coaches talk to the boys about becoming better players, people and students. It’s an urgency that isn’t needed for many club kids but it’s an edge that has hugely benefitted my son.

Well that’s a long sprawling post but the gist of it is that I’m incredibly grateful that some of my son’s buddies and parents from early club days invited the gringo out because it has brought him to a higher level and toughened him up playing against kids who sometimes are 2-3 years older. It also helped his skill level explode. I’d recommend that all club players who are serious find at least a Sunday league team to enhance their skills and soccer IQ... and get more touches.

The North Orange County league is in Anaheim and you can get the info over at Pla sports in Anaheim on Harbor. The other one we’re in is called the Buena Park league I think? I don’t know if they have any social media or websites. They are kind of more word of mouth it seems. I know that the Orozco family is involved in another one as well - maybe Stanton?
Research it and check it out. The uniforms aren’t as fancy ( usually just a pro team knock off) and the kids won’t get backpacks but there is a lot of quality to be found. Plus you’ll meet some wonderful people and characters!

Back