March Madness

Will Cal-South ever take a look at the timing of State Cup and the end of the regular Fall season?
I know for the olders, High School soccer gets in the way.
But for U13 and below - why not wrap it up before Christmas?
I'd say 90% of the teams playing State Cup in February will have a roster for the next season that is 30-50% different than what they are playing with in February/March.
So many players, coaches and parents are looking forward to getting on with their new teams.
Or just make State Cup a "Spring Season" event.

Will Cal-South ever take a look at the timing of State Cup and the end of the regular Fall season?
I know for the olders, High School soccer gets in the way.
But for U13 and below - why not wrap it up before Christmas?
I'd say 90% of the teams playing State Cup in February will have a roster for the next season that is 30-50% different than what they are playing with in February/March.
So many players, coaches and parents are looking forward to getting on with their new teams.
Or just make State Cup a "Spring Season" event.

That would just change March Madness to December Madness, and leagues would start play in June in order to have enough time to get all their games in. What's the point?

One thing I like (from afar) is the way CSL schedules League Cup overlapping league season. State Cup could do something like that, but the scheduling works better with big assemblies at a few locations.

While leagues don't really start in June, most teams are playing every weekend starting in August. Kill a few tournaments and get on with league play.
US Soccer kind of already says that kids shouldn't be playing as many multi-games in one day events. Development Academy is saying to play in less games overall, but to have the games be more meaningful.
Or make State Cup a pre-season tournament. Then have the top 3 teams from each league/bracket play in a tournament at the end of November into December.

I agree 100% with you on this. SCDSL generally ends about mid-November for the Youngers, and we could easily start State Cup the first week of December and be done with it. Then go into tryouts fresh mid-January and not have to have all the tryout craziness while preparing for State Cup.

Reactions: Moo
Back