Manchester City Cup

Willy

SILVER
The schedules were up and then went back down.
Not sure if these brackets will end up changing, but here is the brackets as they were yesterday.

Bracket A

SAN DIEGO SURF 2005 EGSL (CAS)

SCOTTSDALE SOCCER 05G BLACKHAWKS CHAPMAN (AZ)

PALM DESERT PDSC G05 BLUE (CAS)

EAGLES SC (CAS)

Bracket B

SANTA ROSA UNITED 05G GOLD (CAN)

HEAT FC 05 RM (NV)

SD FORCE FC ACADEMY G2005 (CAS)

COLORADO STORM NORTH 05G STRIKERS (CO)

Bracket C

BEACH FUTBOL LB G05 R.PEREZ (CAS)

LA GALAXY SAN DIEGO G05 ELITE (CAS)

FORCE 05G JR. ECNL (CAN)

DEL MAR CARMEL VALLEY SHARKS G2005 MAC MILLAN (CAS)

I'm surprised that they have 3 out of area teams in Bracket B and only 1 in A and C. Maybe that will change as I think its great for the girls to see more out of area teams when possible.
Looks like a pretty competitive field! Too bad they didn't get 4 brackets so we could get a true 8 team quarter final bracket for the 3 day weekend tournament.
One thing I did see was that every team will in fact play 4 games. Bracket losers will play consolation games.
All games appear to be at the Oceanside complex

The schedules were up and then went back down.
Not sure if these brackets will end up changing, but here is the brackets as they were yesterday.

Bracket A

EAGLES SC (CAS)

Bracket B

HEAT FC 05 RM (NV)

Bracket C

FORCE 05G JR. ECNL (CAN)

I'm surprised that they have 3 out of area teams in Bracket B and only 1 in A and C. Maybe that will change as I think its great for the girls to see more out of area teams when possible.
Looks like a pretty competitive field! Too bad they didn't get 4 brackets so we could get a true 8 team quarter final bracket for the 3 day weekend tournament.
One thing I did see was that every team will in fact play 4 games. Bracket losers will play consolation games.
All games appear to be at the Oceanside complex
As it sits now bracket C is the group of death.

In looking at the National Rankings:
Group A:
Scottsdale 2nd in the nation (1 seed)
Surf 36th
Eagles 95th
PDSC 444th

Group B:
Santa Rosa 10th (1 seed)
Heat 77th
Colorado 327th
SD Force 381st

Group C:
Beach 33rd (1 seed)
Force 55th
LAGSD 170th
DMCV 215th
Beach was the 3rd highest rated team and is a 1 seed in their bracket. As the 3 seed they have a pretty tough road with the average ranking of 118.25. I would imagine that they figure each 1 seed advances plus Surf out of the A bracket; pretty competitive semis if that holds. Best of luck to all teams playing.

Group A:
Surf 36th
Eagles 95th
PDSC 444th

Group B:
Santa Rosa 10th (1 seed)
Heat 77th
Colorado 327th
SD Force 381st

Group C:
Beach 33rd (1 seed)
Force 55th
LAGSD 170th
DMCV 215th
Beach was the 3rd highest rated team and is a 1 seed in their bracket. As the 3 seed they have a pretty tough road with the average ranking of 118.25. I would imagine that they figure each 1 seed advances plus Surf out of the A bracket; pretty competitive semis if that holds. Best of luck to all teams playing.
Group A:
Surf 36th
Eagles 95th
PDSC 444th

Group B:
Santa Rosa 10th (1 seed)
Heat 77th
Colorado 327th
SD Force 381st

Group C:
Beach 33rd (1 seed)
Force 55th
LAGSD 170th
DMCV 215th
I used region 4 rankings. Made it easier to see where everyone stood in relation to their geographical area, especially since most teams are from Cali with exception of Blackhawks.

Group A:
Surf 36th
Eagles 95th
PDSC 444th

Group B:
Santa Rosa 10th (1 seed)
Heat 77th
Colorado 327th
SD Force 381st

Group C:
Beach 33rd (1 seed)
Force 55th
LAGSD 170th
DMCV 215th

Where are you getting these rankings from? Seems kind of funky. GotSoccer? It's ok but limited. As mentioned earlier, I see YSR as the most reliable rankings source and it tells a very different story. http://youthsoccerrankings.us

I'd counter that Group A is the Group of Death.

I would agree that YSR gives a little clearer picture. One thing I noticed on Got Soccer was that for some reason it is not calculating any of the so cal teams' league games or league cups but for the nor cal and Arizona teams it is. That's a lot of points the so cal teams are not receiving for some reason.
Based on YSR here are the region 4 rankings by bracket.

Bracket A:
Surf- 3
Scottsdale- 7
PDSC- 56
Eagles- 6

Bracket B:
Santa Rosa- 28
Heat FC- 10
SD Force- 33
Colorado Storm- 9

Bracket C:
Beach Perez- 4
LA Galaxy SD- 15
Force- 25
DMCV Sharks- 34

Bracket average A- 18, B- 20, C-19.5
All very similar. Guess you could say A is the toughest with 3 teams in the top 10.
Should be a fun competitive weekend!!

I would agree that YSR gives a little clearer picture. One thing I noticed on Got Soccer was that for some reason it is not calculating any of the so cal teams' league games or league cups but for the nor cal and Arizona teams it is. That's a lot of points the so cal teams are not receiving for some reason.
Based on YSR here are the region 4 rankings by bracket.

Bracket A:
Surf- 3
Scottsdale- 7
PDSC- 56
Eagles- 6

Bracket B:
Santa Rosa- 28
Heat FC- 10
SD Force- 33
Colorado Storm- 9

Bracket C:
Beach Perez- 4
LA Galaxy SD- 15
Force- 25
DMCV Sharks- 34

Bracket average A- 18, B- 20, C-19.5
All very similar. Guess you could say A is the toughest with 3 teams in the top 10.
Should be a fun competitive weekend!!

Willy! Thanks for the info but where are you getting these rankings from? In Northern Cali- I don't think Santa Rosa is ranked that low. I'm thinking your looking at gotsoccer results. Not sure there that accurate on points and rankings. Not sure YSR is correct either because if a team is playing up they really don't get enough points because games playing up are a bit tougher. I'm thinking that could be a disadvantage to some teams to play up because you actually can lose point if you beat a team playing up. I hope I'm making sense....

Willy! Thanks for the info but where are you getting these rankings from? In Northern Cali- I don't think Santa Rosa is ranked that low. I'm thinking your looking at gotsoccer results. Not sure there that accurate on points and rankings. Not sure YSR is correct either because if a team is playing up they really don't get enough points because games playing up are a bit tougher. I'm thinking that could be a disadvantage to some teams to play up because you actually can lose point if you beat a team playing up. I hope I'm making sense....
Cosmos out of Texas is playing up in the U12 Silver division at MCC. They have had success against the teams (05's) they have played, but when nationally ranked by YSR their #232, region #49, and state #7. So, I do think you make a valid point that they are not as easily given under this scenario. Despite being #7 in Texas.

If you click on the link that futbol dad posted in his post above mine it will take you directly to the YSR rankings region 4 page. That's where I got my numbers. I was strictly going off the ranking system I feel is slightly more accurate.
I'm sure there are "things" that make one ranking page better than the other depending on the team. One thing I can say is if you look at the top 25 teams in region 4 on gotsoccer, there is only 3 teams from socal there. The top 4 teams are all from Arizona. That tells me the way they are giving points is a bit scewed where as YSR gives their rankings strictly on games played and the strength of the team they played and how they faired in those games. On gotsoccer, the #5 team is placer united, our team which is ranked 55th on got soccer beat them over the summer 4-1 and 4-0.

If you click on the link that futbol dad posted in his post above mine it will take you directly to the YSR rankings region 4 page. That's where I got my numbers. I was strictly going off the ranking system I feel is slightly more accurate.
I'm sure there are "things" that make one ranking page better than the other depending on the team. One thing I can say is if you look at the top 25 teams in region 4 on gotsoccer, there is only 3 teams from socal there. The top 4 teams are all from Arizona. That tells me the way they are giving points in a bit scewed where as YSR gives their rankings strictly on games played and the strength of the team they played and how they faired in those games. On gotsoccer, the #5 team is placer united, our team which is ranked 55th on got soccer beat them over the summer 4-1 and 4-0.
Totally agree with you. GotSoccer is not limited to how it gives points. And YSR looks at everything.

Cosmos out of Texas is playing up in the U12 Silver division at MCC. They have had success against the teams (05's) they have played, but when nationally ranked by YSR their #232, region #49, and state #7. So, I do think you make a valid point that they are not as easily given under this scenario. Despite being #7 in Texas.
I forgot to mention they are not ranked in 05 category, but the 06.

I think it's safe to say that with all of the changes (just by age group alone) to teams, new teams, coaches, divisions, etc, it will take some time to attain a clearer picture of where so many of these teams actually rank and by what criteria. I can't think of a team that hasn't been impacted on some level positively or otherwise recently, so let's see how some these tournaments and games pan out. So much talent has moved around and replanted itself & many teams are still trying to figure it all out.

Good luck to all of the teams this weekend and for the MC tournament. Wish we were playing in it this year. A smaller field with a ton of solid teams not there still makes for some interesting matchups with the solid teams that are attending. Go get em CAS teams!
=)

I think it's safe to say that with all of the changes (just by age group alone) to teams, new teams, coaches, divisions, etc, it will take some time to attain a clearer picture of where so many of these teams actually rank and by what criteria. I can't think of a team that hasn't been impacted on some level positively or otherwise recently, so let's see how some these tournaments and games pan out. So much talent has moved around and replanted itself & many teams are still trying to figure it all out.

Good luck to all of the teams this weekend and for the MC tournament. Wish we were playing in it this year. A smaller field with a ton of solid teams not there still makes for some interesting matchups with the solid teams that are attending. Go get em CAS teams!
=)

The YSR is way better than Got Soccer but it is not perfect either early in the year. Just the renaming of teams has caused YSR to be skewed. For instance my DD's coach was with a different 05 team last year and the two teams results have been merged. And then their are other teams than have new names but their old team name is still in the YSR rank. Tango City's approach is to start the rankings new each year. This reduces error and bias but unfortunately it does not help seed and slot team in the early tournaments.

Bracket A

EAGLES SC (CAS)

This sortie of teams hosts two of SoCal’s better squads (Surf and Eagles) and Arizona’s number 1 team. And with an emerging new comer to the scene in PDSC who made a deep run to the finals in Presidents Cup. But, none the less this will be a difficult task for all to walk out on top. PDSC seemingly is trying to see where they stand with the rest of SoCal. And, they have decided to do it here against 3 quality teams. Surf certainly will be considered the favorites and will play a nice brand of soccer knocking the ball around with control. Blackhawks and Eagles will play with a no-nonsense style, with pace, and committing to play forward with indirect runs. In the end all games to look to be a battle.

Bracket B

HEAT FC 05 RM (NV)

With a fairly balanced (on paper) ensemble of teams there does not seem to be a clear favorite. This appears to be the case in any tournament and always makes for some good competition and mystery who will make it to the elimination rounds. SD Force (formerly Arsenal SD) utilizes a nice passing game to stretch the field and hold onto the ball making teams chase them if possible. I will admit I have not seen Heat nor a Storm team play in some time (think 2015). Yet, these teams travel west to tourneys wanting to test themselves on a regular basis. Both Heat and Storm have a mixed record when playing against SoCal teams despite their national rankings. Again making this a hard group to imagine who will take it. Santa Rosa have lost two of their key players from last year and may not be as potent on the field. All I can say is… let’s see what happens!

Bracket C

FORCE 05G JR. ECNL (CAN)

Going out on a limb here and I think this is toughest group. Beach FC is a very difficult team to play. They systematically change their formation and player personnel to match up against their opponents. They play a fast and relentless game. LAGSD is a hard working team that plays disciplined and maintains their shape. They are not an easy team to face as their opponents will have to match them in effort and focus. Force loves to keep the ball at their feet and play the ball in varying tempos, by going forward, laterally, or back to restart the play; then looking for a series of passes, with the end result of through balls or out deep to the flanks in their opponents end. Sharks do their thing quietly and it can be effective. The thing they do is stay in games and make it hard for teams. They will not bow down but will stand their ground and play.

Good luck to all!

Bracket A

EAGLES SC (CAS)

This sortie of teams hosts two of SoCal’s better squads (Surf and Eagles) and Arizona’s number 1 team. And with an emerging new comer to the scene in PDSC who made a deep run to the finals in Presidents Cup. But, none the less this will be a difficult task for all to walk out on top. PDSC seemingly is trying to see where they stand with the rest of SoCal. And, they have decided to do it here against 3 quality teams. Surf certainly will be considered the favorites and will play a nice brand of soccer knocking the ball around with control. Blackhawks and Eagles will play with a no-nonsense style, with pace, and committing to play forward with indirect runs. In the end all games to look to be a battle.

Bracket B

HEAT FC 05 RM (NV)

With a fairly balanced (on paper) ensemble of teams there does not seem to be a clear favorite. This appears to be the case in any tournament and always makes for some good competition and mystery who will make it to the elimination rounds. SD Force (formerly Arsenal SD) utilizes a nice passing game to stretch the field and hold onto the ball making teams chase them if possible. I will admit I have not seen Heat nor a Storm team play in some time (think 2015). Yet, these teams travel west to tourneys wanting to test themselves on a regular basis. Both Heat and Storm have a mixed record when playing against SoCal teams despite their national rankings. Again making this a hard group to imagine who will take it. Santa Rosa have lost two of their key players from last year and may not be as potent on the field. All I can say is… let’s see what happens!

Bracket C

FORCE 05G JR. ECNL (CAN)

Going out on a limb here and I think this is toughest group. Beach FC is a very difficult team to play. They systematically change their formation and player personnel to match up against their opponents. They play a fast and relentless game. LAGSD is a hard working team that plays disciplined and maintains their shape. They are not an easy team to face as their opponents will have to match them in effort and focus. Force loves to keep the ball at their feet and play the ball in varying tempos, by going forward, laterally, or back to restart the play; then looking for a series of passes, with the end result of through balls or out deep to the flanks in their opponents end. Sharks do their thing quietly and it can be effective. The thing they do is stay in games and make it hard for teams. They will not bow down but will stand their ground and play.

Good luck to all!
Bracket A
Thus far it looks like Surf is in cruise control, but still has their biggest challenge in front of them with the Blackhawks already perched and ready to go. Palm Desert may have been out of their league here, but went for it. Eagles could still find their way to the next round as the wildcard and need some help to do so. Big Sunday still ahead.

Bracket B
As mentioned previously it was very difficult to determine who would take this group and after day 1 that still rings true. Three teams are still in this, but SD Force seem to be the squad in the driver seat here. As Santa Rosa and Heat will be fighting it out.

Bracket C
Thought this was the toughest group and it certainly seems to be just that. Beach looks to have done it what it needed to, but still faces a strong DeAnza Force team who have played without a key player and will be fighting to play on Monday. DMCVS and LAGSD still have a chance much like Eagles, but a lot has to happen for that Wild Card spot, especially in Bracket B.

@Willy - what's the scoop on your team? I would have expected them to do much better in this tourney. Did you lose players or have players missing?

I will not go into all the details or excuses.
Plain and simply the team I know just didn't show up this weekend.
We gave up a goal to the Blackhawks in the last 20 seconds to give up the win for a tie and then got schooled by Surf. After that the balloon was deflated I guess. It was hard to watch as I know the team is better than what I seen, but I guess like they say, you learn more from the bad days than the good. So this just proved we have a lot to learn.
We were missing a few players and had a couple hobbling. By the second day we were down to 2 subs and by yesterday we were down to 1, so that did not help matters, but that was not the problem as much as it just felt like they could never get their game rolling.

Hopefully they rebound from it and come out stronger next time.

Back