Manager with a F License

I have a question, if a team manager holds an F license can the step in for a coach who is running late to a game?

As of 2 years ago, a manager with an F license was able to act as a coach for a team in an emergency situation. I don't recall what exactly constituted an emergency. I seem to recall it getting punted down to the leagues. I'm pretty sure running late was going considered an emergency.

I'd allow the game to start as a referee. I'd just note the situation and relevant persons and times in my match report.

My question has always been what if the coach was sent off. I'm not clear on that. My latest assumption is that we could still allow the game to go on if the manager had an F license. At this point I would allow it to continue but would anticipate a protest from the opponent (if they lost!) if they were willing to risk the $$.

I'm looking forward with those more knowledgeable than I commenting on this.

I don't understand why teams don't have the manager or a gung-ho parent get an E license. Once the players hit 16y/o they can get an E license. It only takes a weekend and completing a few online classes. It would give the coach a backup at practices and games.

From the CSL Rules, which are essentially the Cal South / US Youth Soccer Rules:

Credentialed Team Administrators and/or Coaches MUST have a USYS white laminated Coach and/or an Administrator Cal South laminated card to be within the technical area (the team bench). Such Credentialed Administrators and/or Coaches MUST be on their sidelines at ALL TIMES during the game, or the game will be forfeited by the team without the Coach and/or a Administrator laminated card. In an EMERGENCY, any Cal South Administrator/Coach of any Cal South League/Club who holds at least a USSF “F” license with a current approved Risk Management designation may coach the Team.

What constitutes an "EMERGENCY" is not defined.

I agree with @GunninGopher. Let them play. Standing in to act as coach for a game isn't going to make a difference in the life of the youth soccer player. An F is good enough for this task because the real coaching occurs before and after game day.

Also note, the key from a Cal South stand point is making sure "adults" who can influence "minors" have gone through Risk Management. The license is just the mechanism to get that Risk Management and demonstrate they have better knowledge than the average parent.

From the CSL Rules, which are essentially the Cal South / US Youth Soccer Rules:

Credentialed Team Administrators and/or Coaches MUST have a USYS white laminated Coach and/or an Administrator Cal South laminated card to be within the technical area (the team bench). Such Credentialed Administrators and/or Coaches MUST be on their sidelines at ALL TIMES during the game, or the game will be forfeited by the team without the Coach and/or a Administrator laminated card. In an EMERGENCY, any Cal South Administrator/Coach of any Cal South League/Club who holds at least a USSF “F” license with a current approved Risk Management designation may coach the Team.

What constitutes an "EMERGENCY" is not defined.

I agree with @GunninGopher. Let them play. Standing in to act as coach for a game isn't going to make a difference in the life of the youth soccer player. An F is good enough for this task because the real coaching occurs before and after game day.
Under Presidio rules, the coach must be affiliated with the club of the team.

Also note, the key from a Cal South stand point is making sure "adults" who can influence "minors" have gone through Risk Management. The license is just the mechanism to get that Risk Management and demonstrate they have better knowledge than the average parent.

For most of the situations where a coach is absent and a parent must step in, the risk management clearance is more important than anything but the most rudimentary knowledge of the rules.

The F license is really easy to get. It just requires a 2 hour online course and risk management.

All the team managers at my daughter's club are required to get the F. I got mine a couple years ago when they released the on-line modules and added the ability of the F licensed team affiliate to step in. I think it cost $25. I'd recommend it to anyone who's young kid is just getting started in soccer.

Nice views of Fletcher Hills in the videos, if I recall the right ones.

Back