Man City Cup 2019

business over quality has been the juicy pattern for many clubs. look back when NHB, Celtic Cup, United Cup used to be the top tournaments during their time. Now, all of them are third or fourth class tournaments. Why? because they centered the attention on profits, instead of quality.
Surf is running high speeds towards the same dead-end street. How many Surf Cup tournaments they make during a year? 4-5?
How about parking lot fees on Polo fields and Oceanside? don't get surprised that they increased their prices already to $15 per day.

Emilio, I see that TFA has their 11's, 10's, 09's, 08's, 07's, and 06's in the tournament. Are you saying that they only rejected their 05's?

Yes. the international group, the main bracket

Happens every year unfortunately the most qualified or ranked teams don't get into certain groups. Out of state, foreign, big names & the Surf bias will always exist and the # 245 gotsoccer ranked team gets in due to the "surf" name and the others based on connections or brand.

Man City, Surf, College showcase still very popular and well attended so don't see that changing. Make the best of situation: winning the blue or white groups is pretty fun also.

Game 1
FCGS - 1
De Anza Force - 0

Game 2
FCGS - 1
Sporting KC - 0

I’m actually surprised....

Playing Tijuana Xolos tomorrow.

Game 1
FCGS - 1
De Anza Force - 0

Game 2
FCGS - 1
Sporting KC - 0

I’m actually surprised....

Playing Tijuana Xolos tomorrow.
Turns out fcg is good enough for man city... Nice.

Question: first two matches were 25 minute halves/50 minutes total, and 3rd game is a full 80?

Turns out fcg is good enough for man city... Nice.

Question: first two matches were 25 minute halves/50 minutes total, and 3rd game is a full 80?
i wasn't there for the games due to work so I can't answer that yet. I'll find out more when I talk to my son tonight.

Is it me or some teams like Man City had so many small players compared to US. Any chance they were playing their younger players?
i had a chance to talk to one of their players as i was walking in...i asked him that question. he said they had 1 or 2 06s, but the rest 05s.

i had a chance to talk to one of their players as i was walking in...i asked him that question. he said they had 1 or 2 06s, but the rest 05s.
Is it possible they aren't quite as focused on physically mature kids as the US? Most weeks we show up to the pitch and look to see how huge the other team is.

saw the strikers v man city. strikers definitely were bigger/faster/stronger across the board than the man city players (looked like u14 playing u13), with the only exception being man city's right forward/striker. But, although tall, even he was clearly not as far along developmentally as the strikers players

assuming man city only had two 06s, one item that may have accounted for the delta is that almost 50% of the strikers players were born Jan to Mar 05. 100% speculation here, but have heard that the euro teams are much cognizant of rae at this age and also actively calc the likely final size of a player from parental data. so, maybe the man city was a squad of kids mostly from 2h or q4 05 that man city expects to grow later. at u14, even a six month delta is a big age difference.

to be fair though, from watching the match, strikers should have had a number of goals earlier in the game and, from watching other strikers' matches, they typically put way more of those opportunities in the back of the net. some of that was due good play by man city but some of it was definitely lack of finishing by the strikers

in the last 15-20 minutes or so though it looked like the strikers started to really tire out, started giving man city more room and, since man city looked like a very good technical team, that's when things turned.

Last edited:
Back