Making Sense of the Leagues

Soccer

SILVER ELITE
All,

There appears to be a lot of confusion on all of the different leagues, let me help bestow my knowledge (Which is not the end all):

DA - We all know the structure by now. 00/01, 02/03, 04, 05. 06's are always allowed to play up in the league as well. There is no separate age group for the 03's. Play a season within the confines of the DA League. You know the drill. Sanctioned by US Soccer. Administered by US Soccer DA.

DPL - B teams or developing players of Clubs without ECNL. DPL Ages = 00/01, 02, 03 (Not to be confused with 03 Pilot, see below, this is a separate team), 04, 05 and 06. Separate age groups except for the oldest age. 05's and above will not participate in State Cup run by USYSA (Cal South). 06 can play in CRL and National Cup. Other DPL's are forming across the US. 05's and above will play these clubs in a playoff. Their schedule will mirror the DA Schedule for conference play. Home and away spring and fall. DPL teams will participate in outside showcases. Sanctioned by Cal South. Administered by a mysterious company. Games will be played on their own field.

DPL 03 Pilot = Supported but NOT Sanctioned by US Soccer. They will play after the 04's on DA game days on the same field as the DA Games. I think all Southwest Conference DA Clubs will have a Pilot team (Not sure on LAFC Slammers) They will participate in 1 or 2 DA Showcases and play against the Frontier League Pilot. (Not sure on exact count) The league is sanctioned by Cal South. Administered by a mysterious company. The pilot players will not be allowed to play High School is what I was told. Structured same way as DA.

ECNL = West Coast lost ECNL, Westside Breakers were added to the So Cal Conference. Ages: 00/01, 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 You know the drill.

What I would do with my 03. If she is good enough play on a 02/03 DA Team. If she is not Play on the 03 DA Pilot or move to ECNL Club/ Team. If she is a step below that, then 03 DPL. This is just my opinion and not gospel. All of this depends on if you want to change teams every year and clubs.

I hope this helps, please feel free to clarify what you know.

All,

There appears to be a lot of confusion on all of the different leagues, let me help bestow my knowledge (Which is not the end all):

DA - We all know the structure by now. 00/01, 02/03, 04, 05. 06's are always allowed to play up in the league as well. There is no separate age group for the 03's. Play a season within the confines of the DA League. You know the drill. Sanctioned by US Soccer. Administered by US Soccer DA.

DPL - B teams or developing players of Clubs without ECNL. DPL Ages = 00/01, 02, 03 (Not to be confused with 03 Pilot, see below, this is a separate team), 04, 05 and 06. Separate age groups except for the oldest age. 05's and above will not participate in State Cup run by USYSA (Cal South). 06 can play in CRL and National Cup. Other DPL's are forming across the US. 05's and above will play these clubs in a playoff. Their schedule will mirror the DA Schedule for conference play. Home and away spring and fall. DPL teams will participate in outside showcases. Sanctioned by Cal South. Administered by a mysterious company. Games will be played on their own field.

DPL 03 Pilot = Supported but NOT Sanctioned by US Soccer. They will play after the 04's on DA game days on the same field as the DA Games. I think all Southwest Conference DA Clubs will have a Pilot team (Not sure on LAFC Slammers) They will participate in 1 or 2 DA Showcases and play against the Frontier League Pilot. (Not sure on exact count) The league is sanctioned by Cal South. Administered by a mysterious company. The pilot players will not be allowed to play High School is what I was told. Structured same way as DA.

ECNL = West Coast lost ECNL, Westside Breakers were added to the So Cal Conference. Ages: 00/01, 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 You know the drill.

What I would do with my 03. If she is good enough play on a 02/03 DA Team. If she is not Play on the 03 DA Pilot or move to ECNL Club/ Team. If she is a step below that, then 03 DPL. This is just my opinion and not gospel. All of this depends on if you want to change teams every year and clubs.

Not sure if it was posted on the OC Surf thread but do we know why West Coast (OC Surf) lost ECNL? In the last year two big clubs in Cali have lost ECNL for different reasons.

Administered by a mysterious company.
Because he's quoted on the DPL press release, I always figured it was Barry Ritson who is running the league. I heard it was essentially the brainchild of LAPFC and Legends. Which makes sense considering they needed it most of all the new DA clubs. I'd bet the "mysterious company" running it is either one of those two clubs.

Hmmm...

Okay, but why just them? Why not Slammers, Surf, Blues?

Because Slammers DOC a board member of ECNL. Blues has two teams in contention for National Title. Surf good question, but I assume it’s because a Surf Cup sports subsidiary Mavirick Travel handles ECNL travel. So they looked at them all and said West Coast your teams are struggling you have to pick, just a guess.

Because he's quoted on the DPL press release, I always figured it was Barry Ritson who is running the league. I heard it was essentially the brainchild of LAPFC and Legends. Which makes sense considering they needed it most of all the new DA clubs. I'd bet the "mysterious company" running it is either one of those two clubs.

This is the part of DPL that makes me skeptical of the DPL. My question was who runs DPL? The answer “a company”. So if you can find this out that would be great. The founding members do have a member each on the board. But who is the day to Day person? The person who answers the emails? Not sure

Hmmm...

Okay, but why just them? Why not Slammers, Surf, Blues?
My guess is that Surf could not have 2 teams in the same conference/age group. I remember when slammers acquired Blades who were a top team on the girls side. Slammers had to choose which club got the ECNL squad. They could not have 2.

My guess is that Surf could not have 2 teams in the same conference/age group. I remember when slammers acquired Blades who were a top team on the girls side. Slammers had to choose which club got the ECNL squad. They could not have 2.

Not the case, a lot of clubs have multiple divisions with ECNL. Look at Scott Gallagher and Sting, same conference and age groups. One is called San Diego Surf one is called Orange County Surf. Not same club different non profits too.

Slammers affiliated with Blades. Blades didn’t already have ECNL. So therefore Blades didn’t have to give up anything. Slammers kept ECNL, Blades just changed their name. They also remained different non profits.

But Slammers and Blades were in OC. Did not Slammmers already have ECNL Prior to merging. Surf and West Coast are not in same geographic area.

Sorry redundant! Just saw Soccers response.

AW did not go to Irvine Strikers. He went to Newport Slammers with his top squad and finally left Irvine Slammers before it became LAGOC.
Sorry! I meant Irvine Slammers.:confused: Don’t know how that happened. Especially when my youngest team use to play them quite a bit.

All,

Thank you for this information. I am still a bit confused...I feel like I am in first grade trying to spot the differences between DPL and DPL03Pilot.....DPL Pilot you can't play High School soccer and you play DA Showcases. Plain DPL you play in outside showcases and you can play in High School?

Thank you for this information. I am still a bit confused...I feel like I am in first grade trying to spot the differences between DPL and DPL03Pilot.....DPL Pilot you can't play High School soccer and you play DA Showcases. Plain DPL you play in outside showcases and you can play in High School?
Correct , you need to think of it this way, DPL Pilot is the clubs without ECNL (and maybe those with) top 03 team. The better 03 players will play with 02’s but for the most part that will only be 3-5 players per club, is my guess. The DPL 03 team is the B team.

http://dpleague.org/docs/pilot_program_release.pdf

I don’t believe the DPL will play as many games as Pilot, but I could be mistaken. Pilot will play all of the other games on the DA schedule, on the same day. This was not the case for the DPL this year.

Back