Losing the fire? or just a phase?

Update: Practice today went great! I think we've really turned a corner. All I said to her prior to practice was to have fun, don't be afraid to try different things and mess up, and work as hard as she did in speed training and she'll be fine. I caught the last 30mins of practice and she was definitely more aggressive, winning her 1v1s, not afraid to take shots on goal and making nice crosses.

She asked if I saw her goals and I said no, I had to run some errands and she got mad, saying I was supposed to stay and watch. She wouldnt let us leave the field until she could finish drawing in the dirt for me every cool play made between her and her teammates and how they led to goals.

This is the kid I know and I hope it never ends (although I know it probably will one day) She asked me how I thought she did and I just said, so long as you're giving 100% out there it doesn't matter to me because if you're always trying to get better and you're trying new things, you're going to mess up at first, probably a lot! It's no big deal because that's the only way to learn. And only she knows if she really gave 100% or not. Hopefully coach will catch on and give her the space...

Anyhow, so far so good! Didn't say anything stupid this time. Will see how she does in the game this weekend... =)

Update: Practice today went great! I think we've really turned a corner. All I said to her prior to practice was to have fun, don't be afraid to try different things and mess up, and work as hard as she did in speed training and she'll be fine. I caught the last 30mins of practice and she was definitely more aggressive, winning her 1v1s, not afraid to take shots on goal and making nice crosses.

She asked if I saw her goals and I said no, I had to run some errands and she got mad, saying I was supposed to stay and watch. She wouldnt let us leave the field until she could finish drawing in the dirt for me every cool play made between her and her teammates and how they led to goals.

This is the kid I know and I hope it never ends (although I know it probably will one day) She asked me how I thought she did and I just said, so long as you're giving 100% out there it doesn't matter to me because if you're always trying to get better and you're trying new things, you're going to mess up at first, probably a lot! It's no big deal because that's the only way to learn. And only she knows if she really gave 100% or not. Hopefully coach will catch on and give her the space...

Anyhow, so far so good! Didn't say anything stupid this time. Will see how she does in the game this weekend... =)
Awesome! I saw my old daughter peeking through the last game. At half time the coach told her the goals scored against her weren't her fault and as such, took the weight of the world off of her shoulders. She became a beast in the second half of the game taking risks and not one ball went into the goal. She is also starting to feel more a part of the team (she just started with this team in spring) which probably makes a difference too.

Back