League Game Scores

How many here have tryouts? There is your ultimate winning vs. losing. You make the team or you don't? You go to flight 1 or another flight. There is constant competition and challenge for these 8 year olds. I think tryouts are far more stressful than taking a loss myself, but again, I'm a little weird! Individual rankings are important not team rankings?

If winning is not important, how come guest players are so prevalent in tournaments? How come playing time is an issue for some already? I find it amazing that I am the only one here that thinks you can compete hard to win and develop and probably develop more as you play better teams and in the higher flights as you develop and grow with skills.

The more advanced the teams you play and challenge, the more advanced you will grow and develop. Playing in the best brackets against the best teams against the best players leads to someone being one of the best players, period. Not saying you can't grow later, but no reason you can't start at 8 either.

It’s not really about rankings. Just a way to keep track leading up to state cup.

This really would be a great, new thread. I'm getting tired of debating it, but curious if someone can change my mind that I should not train my kid to want to win and to want to train hard and to want to play the very best players and teams all the time? Not saying we would not play weaker teams to work on strategy or adjustments, but we will always strive to play against the best players and teams, period unless someone convinces me somehow she develops faster without this approach?

There is a fine line. It is good to put it work. But you don’t want to burn them out. It’s good to push you’re kids but remember they will become there own person. They will make the decision in life they want.

There is a fine line. It is good to put it work. But you don’t want to burn them out. It’s good to push you’re kids but remember they will become there own person. They will make the decision in life they want.

I've taught her hard work gets her fun, good results at games, so I'm not really afraid to call it work and to be perfectly honest, it is work. She sprints, sweats, uses her body, etc. SHE WORKS! In our house, work is a positive thing. Something to be proud of. I think in life it is healthy to look forward to work and what it provides. Everyone different! She will make her decision later, but the better you are at something, the more fun it is. My opinion is that if they are going to burn out, they are going to burn out regardless. Quitters are going to quit and it's not going to get any easier. Matter of fact, it only gets harder and she gets stronger every month. I pray she never quits, but she will decide no matter what I try and push. When she trains with her team, it's fun for her. She loves it and her coach. She thrives on games and playing with her friends. For now yes, I get it!

If winning is not important, how come guest players are so prevalent in tournaments? How come playing time is an issue for some already? I find it amazing that I am the only one here that thinks you can compete hard to win and develop and probably develop more as you play better teams and in the higher flights as you develop and grow with skills.

If coaches are bringing in guest players to win tournaments that speaks volumes about the coach's priorities and most likely he/she should not be coaching 8 years olds. Also, playing time should be equitable amongst 8 year olds. Again that's the coach's problem and parents' misguided expectations for 8 year olds.

Thank goodness my dd's coach gave her equal playing time when she was 8. Or she may not have played and fallen in love with soccer and developed into the talented player she is today 9 or 10 years later. But if you had seen her play when she was 8, a coach or parent who placed a lot of value on wins may have counted her out. She actually didn't make the first team she tried out for when she 8 (because that coach valued winning over all else) and I'm so grateful she didn't or she wouldn't have landed on the team where she ended up, and ultimately starting out on that "losing" team paved the way for the many successes she's experienced as an older player.

The more advanced the teams you play and challenge, the more advanced you will grow and develop. Playing in the best brackets against the best teams against the best players leads to someone being one of the best players, period. Not saying you can't grow later, but no reason you can't start at 8 either.

This is true, but only applies as players/teams get older - I'm talking like u13 or u14 or maybe even u15.

I've taught her hard work gets her fun, good results at games, so I'm not really afraid to call it work and to be perfectly honest, it is work. She sprints, sweats, uses her body, etc. SHE WORKS! In our house, work is a positive thing. Something to be proud of. I think in life it is healthy to look forward to work and what it provides. Everyone different! She will make her decision later, but the better you are at something, the more fun it is. My opinion is that if they are going to burn out, they are going to burn out regardless. Quitters are going to quit and it's not going to get any easier. Matter of fact, it only gets harder and she gets stronger every month. I pray she never quits, but she will decide no matter what I try and push. When she trains with her team, it's fun for her. She loves it and her coach. She thrives on games and playing with her friends. For now yes, I get it!
Never said hard work is a bad thing. Seems like you just want argue or “debate”. What team does she play on?

Just cause she loves her team and coach doesn’t mean she can’t get injured.

This really would be a great, new thread. I'm getting tired of debating it, but curious if someone can change my mind that I should not train my kid to want to win and to want to train hard and to want to play the very best players and teams all the time? Not saying we would not play weaker teams to work on strategy or adjustments, but we will always strive to play against the best players and teams, period unless someone convinces me somehow she develops faster without this approach?
Changing The Game Project is a great resource if you really are interested in looking at this. Here's a relevant article from them.

The Race to Nowhere in Youth Sports
https://changingthegameproject.com/...ilflQVyeiJ4ORwbwSPZxhO5hOQsnRuyPZLHDdV8UkjOhU

Never said hard work is a bad thing. Seems like you just want argue or “debate”. What team does she play on?

Just cause she loves her team and coach doesn’t mean she can’t get injured.

Just replying Zizu, there is a debate at hand apparently about winning vs. losing and if scores are important. Not saying our specific part about work. She can get injured regardless, but she is never pushed beyond her limits. She just puts her time in.

If coaches are bringing in guest players to win tournaments that speaks volumes about the coach's priorities and most likely he/she should not be coaching 8 years olds. Also, playing time should be equitable amongst 8 year olds. Again that's the coach's problem and parents' misguided expectations for 8 year olds.

Thank goodness my dd's coach gave her equal playing time when she was 8. Or she may not have played and fallen in love with soccer and developed into the talented player she is today 9 or 10 years later. But if you had seen her play when she was 8, a coach or parent who placed a lot of value on wins may have counted her out. She actually didn't make the first team she tried out for when she 8 (because that coach valued winning over all else) and I'm so grateful she didn't or she wouldn't have landed on the team where she ended up, and ultimately starting out on that "losing" team paved the way for the many successes she's experienced as an older player.

This is true, but only applies as players/teams get older - I'm talking like u13 or u14 or maybe even u15.

What works for my kid may not work for yours and vice versa. I'll leave it at that, but guest players, brackets, flights, and tryouts all exist. They are challenged with all of that at 8 years old, so it is what it is.

Just replying Zizu, there is a debate at hand apparently about winning vs. losing and if scores are important. Not saying our specific part about work. She can get injured regardless, but she is never pushed beyond her limits. She just puts her time in.
You keep pushing the debate. The topic is
League Game Scores!
Funny how you just talk but won’t put what team.... Luis andres?? Or a blues parent cause there are not many amazing teams out there at the moment.

Start a new thread guys and let's take it there. This one out for scores. Good luck everyone.
Changing The Game Project is a great resource if you really are interested in looking at this. Here's a relevant article from them.

The Race to Nowhere in Youth Sports
https://changingthegameproject.com/...ilflQVyeiJ4ORwbwSPZxhO5hOQsnRuyPZLHDdV8UkjOhU

I've read several articles and books on the subject including "Happy Feet" which I liked from Dan Blank. I don't work her too hard. She has a childhood, friends, and family. When shes not playing a sport, shes using an electronic device, so it's balanced. She is awesome in school. Take it easy people. She's not being worked too hard! Good luck everyone!

You keep pushing the debate. The topic is
League Game Scores!
Funny how you just talk but won’t put what team.... Luis andres?? Or a blues parent cause there are not many amazing teams out there at the moment.

Then let's focus on scores! Thank you!

To find SCDSL scores just go to the scdsl website and then- club directory > find the team > scroll down to the schedule > click on "vs" and it will show you the game report once it's loaded

I don't think they post scores for certain ages. I am seeing 2 hyphens without numbers?

Managers of 7v7 age teams in SCDSL are instructed NOT to post game scores, but they still can. If a score shows on a match report it means a manager either ignored the instruction or wasn't aware of it. Still, even if a score is posted on the match report, the SCDSL website will not show the scores on the main schedule pages or keep track of rankings.

If I recall the Same thing happened last year for the U-little age groups that don’t keep standings. Various Scores were being posted the first 2 weeks or so then SCDSL realized it and took em all down and blocked teams from posting the rest of the season.

Back