LAGSB - what’s going on??

From rumors (that is all) I heard lots of the boys coaches left to form a new club as they have not been paid for months. Can anyone confirm or deny?

From rumors (that is all) I heard lots of the boys coaches left to form a new club as they have not been paid for months. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Been going on for several years now and they basically don't have a olders boys program anymore. They has some good coaches before but could never find there place within the affliates model so all they left for better, bigger things & clubs.

Not having a good boys director didn't help either, can't remember them every appointment any one else after the main one left what 3-4 yes ago.? Guess Mr. Frost is not making enough anymore to keep the skeleton crew going. Oh well best of luck to those coaches & players.

Boca Jr's is expanding as well as some of the new upsl teams like the LA wolves so won't be surprised to see them there.

Been going on for several years now and they basically don't have a olders boys program anymore. They has some good coaches before but could never find there place within the affliates model so all they left for better, bigger things & clubs.

Not having a good boys director didn't help either, can't remember them every appointment any one else after the main one left what 3-4 yes ago.? Guess Mr. Frost is not making enough anymore to keep the skeleton crew going. Oh well best of luck to those coaches & players.

Boca Jr's is expanding as well as some of the new upsl teams like the LA wolves so won't be surprised to see them there.
Man, I’m not gonna argue with you that something is going on. But your comments are so inaccurate it’s better you said nothing.

Some coaches have circulated a boilerplate message tonight saying that the "South Bay Boys program is becoming Steel United."

The LAGSB Club Directors page lists only one director: Girls Director Sal Diaz. No boys coaches are listed on the LAGSB website anymore, although boys tryouts are still on the website.

The message said that "Steel United CA is part of the Steel Sports family. Within 12 months Steel United will have clubs in seven states across the country. Steel United is guided by its core values of Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, and Commitment. The culture that is enshrined throughout the club encompasses our players, parents, coaches and staff. We share our core values with our players to foster their development as athletes and people." According to their website (https://steel-sports.com/overview/overview/), Steel Sports is a subsidiary of Steel Excel, Inc.

Steel Sports's website claims that its founder discovered that "youth sports were fragmented, lacked quality standards & a business opportunity existed to make things right" and "Steel determined to start & fund a for-profit social impact organization to promote the lifelong enjoyment of sports & fitness & to enable kids to reach their potential."

If for-profit soccer does for LAGSB what for-profit education did for schools, this is not step in the right direction.

There is no explanation about what prompted the change, and other than a cryptic message earlier in the day, no hint to parents that any changes were coming. At State Cup, I heard a LAGSB coach (or a few) mention looking elsewhere for the new season.

From Cal South Policy for Affiliate Member in Good Standing --

3. 501(c)3 status – Youth Affiliate Members must maintain an active 501(c)3 Tax Exempt status. An active 501(c)3 Tax Exempt status is not Applicable to Adult Affiliate Members.

4. California Incorporation – Youth Affiliate Members must maintain an active California Public Benefit Non-profit incorporation. Adult Affiliate Members must maintain an active California Incorporation of any type.​

https://media.calsouth.com/data/Dow...olution_Good_Standing.07.09.2016.pdf?rev=1E6E

From experience this last year they do not have a great development program starting from the younger kids. My son was in the program he’s not going back no development whatsoever. Coaches don’t have much grasp on the program or able to make decision and when I reached out to Quigley the boys director . Guess what I got a bullshit asnwer .

Some coaches have circulated a boilerplate message tonight saying that the "South Bay Boys program is becoming Steel United."

The LAGSB Club Directors page lists only one director: Girls Director Sal Diaz. No boys coaches are listed on the LAGSB website anymore, although boys tryouts are still on the website.

The message said that "Steel United CA is part of the Steel Sports family. Within 12 months Steel United will have clubs in seven states across the country. Steel United is guided by its core values of Teamwork, Respect, Integrity, and Commitment. The culture that is enshrined throughout the club encompasses our players, parents, coaches and staff. We share our core values with our players to foster their development as athletes and people." According to their website (https://steel-sports.com/overview/overview/), Steel Sports is a subsidiary of Steel Excel, Inc.

Steel Sports's website claims that its founder discovered that "youth sports were fragmented, lacked quality standards & a business opportunity existed to make things right" and "Steel determined to start & fund a for-profit social impact organization to promote the lifelong enjoyment of sports & fitness & to enable kids to reach their potential."

If for-profit soccer does for LAGSB what for-profit education did for schools, this is not step in the right direction.

There is no explanation about what prompted the change, and other than a cryptic message earlier in the day, no hint to parents that any changes were coming. At State Cup, I heard a LAGSB coach (or a few) mention looking elsewhere for the new season.

We had friends who played for the SB club in the past and we're told they haven't been putting the resouces into the boys programs for a couple years now, fewer older teams & only in the lower flights, players & coaches leaving, field space problems, director not around or helping much, etc so seems like something had to change so maybe this new infusion of capital or management will get things back on track?

There is some much competition, choices for customers/players nowadays for youth soccer that the market forces and economics sometime causes the changes.

Wow! If they are taking all the boys team the should be “steal” United.

For the more immediate future, will the teams listed as LAGSB still be competing in state and national cup, or will the forego this as coaches have left?

I hope it works out for those teams that move over. I always thought the draw of LAGSB was the slight chance/opportunity to make it to the Academy. I don't know if they ever promoted kids from within but they sure do have some talented and athletic kids on some of the "Elite" teams.

From Cal South Policy for Affiliate Member in Good Standing --

3. 501(c)3 status – Youth Affiliate Members must maintain an active 501(c)3 Tax Exempt status. An active 501(c)3 Tax Exempt status is not Applicable to Adult Affiliate Members.

4. California Incorporation – Youth Affiliate Members must maintain an active California Public Benefit Non-profit incorporation. Adult Affiliate Members must maintain an active California Incorporation of any type.​

https://media.calsouth.com/data/Dow...olution_Good_Standing.07.09.2016.pdf?rev=1E6E
You apparently can be a 501(c)(3) and partner or affiliate with a for profit org by licensing the name and curriculum etc, as evidenced by the many Cal South youth clubs that do that right now with MLS or foreign pro teams (eg LA Galaxy).

The e-mail I saw said that LAGSB teams will finish State Cup, but I suppose that depends on the coaches showing up for the teams.

A link for parents showed Blake George as involved (no title), Tim Summiel as Regional Manager and Quigs as Director of Coaching for Steel United, so clearly they migrated over. I don’t know if all/most of the LAGSB boys coaches on the ground are moving over to this new entity.

The e-mail I saw said that LAGSB teams will finish State Cup, but I suppose that depends on the coaches showing up for the teams.

A link for parents showed Blake George as involved (no title), Tim Summiel as Regional Manager and Quigs as Director of Coaching for Steel United, so clearly they migrated over. I don’t know if all/most of the LAGSB boys coaches on the ground are moving over to this new entity.

If these guys really are involved, then the only credible poster on this thread would be @LASTMAN14. Lets wait and see what he has to say. Everything else is just heresy or the line you are being fed by one entity or another.

If these guys really are involved, then the only credible poster on this thread would be @LASTMAN14. Lets wait and see what he has to say. Everything else is just heresy or the line you are being fed by one entity or another.

I’d be more interested in what the real LA Galaxy has to say? They have enough issues with their brand right now.

Who is this lastman user and why is he/she any more creditable than the parents that paid $$$ to have there kids in a program that's obviously in turmoil with coaches and directors abandoning the mothership.

I would want to know why these coaches weren't paid. LAGSB is one of the more expensive clubs charging upwards of $3k a year. Where did the money go?!!o_O

If you were looking for clues that George and Summiel were moving off in a different, more entrepreneurial, direction, it would have been from the fact that they held a "West LA Cup" tournament at the end of November/beginning of December, run by Global Team Events and they listed their contact e-mail addresses with UK Elite. UK Elite is a portfolio company of Steel Sports and Global Team Events is owned by UK Elite.

https://globalteamevents.com/our-tournaments/west-los-angeles-cup/

https://steel-sports.com/our-portfolio/uk-elite/

https://globalteamevents.com/company/

If you were looking for clues that George and Summiel were moving off in a different, more entrepreneurial, direction, it would have been from the fact that they held a "West LA Cup" tournament at the end of November/beginning of December, run by Global Team Events and they listed their contact e-mail addresses with UK Elite. UK Elite is a portfolio company of Steel Sports and Global Team Events is owned by UK Elite.

https://globalteamevents.com/our-tournaments/west-los-angeles-cup/

https://steel-sports.com/our-portfolio/uk-elite/

https://globalteamevents.com/company/

Ah What a tangled web that been weaved.

Mr. Frost a investment banker whos listed on many of the SB club documents, address has been doing something / w large amounts of funds from this club for several years.

Now it appears some of his assoicates have gotten into the "businesses" also.
https://steel-sports.com/investment-strategy/overview/

Steel Excel, through its two business segments,
Steel Sports Inc. and Steel Energy Ltd., is
committed to acquiring, strengthening and growing profitable businesses. In addition to its Steel Sports initiative, the company’s Steel Energy business
provides well servicing, workover and other services
to the oil and gas industry. More information
is available at www.steelexcel.com.

I'm not sure "investing" in a start up youth soccer club is the best way to create wealth.
"Want to walk away with $1 million from a youth soccer investment?" Then you'll need to start with $2 million.

Last edited:
Back