LAFC Slammers Leaving DA

So if an 05 player was going to play on Slammers (Newport) DA team - what were they supposed to have paid?
And what will they pay now if they are ecnl?

Any impact on the rest of the clubs costs?

Or on how the coaches will be paid? Or how the coaches will be aligned?

Last edited:
So if an 05 player was going to play on Slammers (Newport) DA team - what were they supposed to have paid?
And what will they pay now if they are ecnl?

Any impact on the rest of the clubs costs?

Or on how the coaches will be paid? Or how the coaches will be aligned?
Newport didn’t have DA

The issue was exposure, ECNL had 3x the college coach exposure than DA did. Coaches want to see the key match ups like Michigan Hawks vs. Slammers not Slammers vs. LA Premier or Pats.

If your going to sacrifice playing HS and training 4 days a week for barely any exposure whats the point
The first part is not true. Last season at ECNL events, there were top coaches at our games. This season at the DA events, there were top coaches at our games...in NC, I think every top 25 school watched one of our games. So not sure where you are getting barely any exposure. Also, if you consider "having to practice 4 times a week" a sacrifice instead of an opportunity, but you are worried about college exposure...i wouldn't worry about the exposure piece. The top coaches are looking for the kids who enjoy practicing 4 times a week.

Your second point is correct, the coaches want to watch competitive games between the top clubs. So if DA was to continue to lose top clubs, it will be harder to get those matchups in the showcases... although there is still some depth between Socal and Texas. But the list of 9 new clubs they added (replacing Michigan Hawks with Michigan Jaguars) will be problematic. It is also interesting that DA says that a main criteria to get added is "player production history and player pool depth"....but I don't think any of the 9 new clubs have this. Seems desperate.

The current LAFC SLAMMERS DA team is out of Newport Beach. It was formed from last year’s 2003 ECNL team who trains in Newport
But LAFC Slammers as a DA organization was not Slammers proper (meaning Slammers FC), correct?

Going forward, will there will be 2 Slammers ECNL teams, LAFC Slammers and Slammers that both are based out of Newport?

This is all false.

Check your sources. Mine are pretty credible.

You should check with WK, on the LA practice thing. Being forced by DA.

The DA players now having to pay dues was told to me from an Admin in the LAFC DA program.

But maybe they tell a different story to parents.

Either way I have mad respect for Slammers in pulling this off.

But LAFC Slammers as a DA organization was not Slammers proper (meaning Slammers FC), correct?

Going forward, will there will be 2 Slammers ECNL teams, LAFC Slammers and Slammers that both are based out of Newport?

They were the same but they were not. Uniforms were different. Coaches were different. But DOC the same. Admins at office the same.

It was convenient to say the same at times and different at others.

The announcement calls it out as a Sister Club.

So we will see how this works.

And will there also be a Slammers ECNL? (Which I guess would be “Newport Slammers”
Or “Original s Slammers).
There are currently Slammers FC ECNL across all age groups. I heard that each team was designated a 'core' group (2-4 players) to rebuild the ECNL teams around because of the exodus of their top ECNL teams to DA to immediately populate those ranks with highly competitive teams. Slammers FC was aware that it would be a season or so to get their ECNL teams back into ECNL national championship form. It looks like several age groups qualified for ECNL CL play....how far those teams go is yet to be seen.

There are currently LAFC Slammers DA teams across all age groups. The u18/19 team is made up entirely of their former ECNL NC teams. No changes to that roster. The u16/17 roster is more of a hybrid plus some new players (see 03 SJ from Blues)....etc on down.

It is my understanding that when this season is over for both ECNL and DA, LAFC Slammers and Slammers FC will play in the ECNL league. On paper, two distinct clubs while in reality they will share the breadth of coaching expertise that put the club on the national radar years ago.

Will Blues follow this model? If Surf remains as aggressive as they have been historically maybe they parlay the WC gobble-up and form an OC Surf ECNL? All this of course IMHO. I would like to see Surf do this to get the ECNL SW division to 12.

I know the U16/17 team attracted girls from all over and the partially funded part had to be a big part of it. I wonder how many stay now that it won’t be funded? Hopefully they had tip off the players earlier since many other teams have already made their rosters already for next year.

They were the same but they were not. Uniforms were different. Coaches were different. But DOC the same. Admins at office the same.

It was convenient to say the same at times and different at others.

The announcement calls it out as a Sister Club.

So we will see how this works.
That’s a surprising move to allow essentially one club, 2 ECNL teams both serving the exact same geographic area. It looks like a signal to Surf oC that if they give up DA they could could retain ECNL as a “Sister Club”. Am I readin this right?

Check your sources. Mine are pretty credible.

You should check with WK, on the LA practice thing. Being forced by DA.

The DA players now having to pay dues was told to me from an Admin in the LAFC DA program.

But maybe they tell a different story to parents.

Either way I have mad respect for Slammers in pulling this off.
Let's think this through even more. LAFC Slammers pulling out of DA, puts pressure on OC Surf and Blues to do the same. Which in turn puts pressure on Surf and Real So Cal to follow. Eagles probably jumps in just because and then all of a sudden, what happens to Legends, Beach, Albion, Pats, Carlsbad and LAP who are left in DA with no ECNL option to jump to? GDA isn't going to add more DA teams in SoCal just to add them. Obviously the market wants ECNL or this shift wouldn't be happening. That puts those clubs back where they started. With the exodus of the DA clubs in the east and now the potential for more clubs to leave in SoCal, GDA takes a massive hit which could potentially damage the program. Who follows after SoCal if more than LAFC Slammers leaves?
If clubs get back to ECNL with the guarantee of two teams in each age group then that means clubs like RSC, Blues and OC Surf have two ECNL teams. That impacts DPL because players would be better off playing on ECNL teams with their format than DPL with theirs.

The initial news of LAFC Slammers pulling out is just the tip of the iceberg about what's coming in SoCal. I don't think we are done seeing clubs jump back to ECNL and the next week will be interesting. Even the fence sitter clubs may may to climb back over to ECNL. Who knows what ECNL is saying. Last chance? Do it this year or the door is closed? Those must be interesting conversations being had with CL and SoCal DOC's right now.

This thread is going to be really interesting as things develop.

Back