LAFC part ways wit Joey Cascio

It isn't "awash in sleaze." sounds like a lot of you have beef because your kids aren't good enough. when my kids aren't good enough, i tell them to get better.

So only families of all-out ballers are allowed to have an opinion about club soccer? Cool.

But since you bring it up, please walk me through how you assessed my kid's skills through my post. Mirage may be correct that we have better things to talk about than rumors about coaches, so let's go with your topic about how my kid isn't good enough.

So only families of all-out ballers are allowed to have an opinion about club soccer? Cool.

But since you bring it up, please walk me through how you assessed my kid's skills through my post. Mirage may be correct that we have better things to talk about than rumors about coaches, so let's go with your topic about how my kid isn't good enough.
Easy. I have been around the youth game for many years, at many clubs, and have not noticed this "sleaze" to which you refer. I have noticed a lot of disgruntled parents, however...and I have been one. The most extreme among them blame criminal behavior for keeping their kid on the bench, which is total b.s. I just figured when 2 or 3 people are chattering on this forum about payoffs to coaches and sleazy youth soccer business, without any examples or willingness to be specific, they sound like they are bitter about something. They wouldn't be bitter if their kid was playing. Therefore, I naturally assume that they are ascribing their kid's not playing to some mysterious graft or other illicit behavior by coaches and parents. It's probably not that; it's that the kid isn't good enough.

Easy. I have been around the youth game for many years, at many clubs, and have not noticed this "sleaze" to which you refer. I have noticed a lot of disgruntled parents, however...and I have been one. The most extreme among them blame criminal behavior for keeping their kid on the bench, which is total b.s. I just figured when 2 or 3 people are chattering on this forum about payoffs to coaches and sleazy youth soccer business, without any examples or willingness to be specific, they sound like they are bitter about something. They wouldn't be bitter if their kid was playing. Therefore, I naturally assume that they are ascribing their kid's not playing to some mysterious graft or other illicit behavior by coaches and parents. It's probably not that; it's that the kid isn't good enough.

So you've never seen a kid dramatically increase playing time by paying for exorbitant privates with the head coach? You've never heard a DOC say that their club is all about development, when in fact they're serving up win-at-all costs soccer and doing everything they can to recruit players away from rival teams? You've never seen a coach put short term success over the long term development of a player? You've never seen a coach take a ton of money for privates from a kid who obviously will never reach his/her goals? You've never heard a DOC talk about college recruitment to rec level players? You've never seen a club where finances are completely mismanaged? You've never seen dynamic young coaches farting around with u-little C teams while the mailing-it-in texters handle the big-roster high school A teams? You've never heard of a coach lying about their licence? You've never heard of age violations? You've never seen DOCs covering up for alcoholic or abusive coaches? You've never seen coaches stack their rosters to increase their salaries? You've never noticed a coach belatedly realizing he can't play on Yom Kippur just after his star player is injured (admittedly, that probably only happens in CSL)? You've never noticed the most winning coach at a club happens to coach the club president's DD?

You've really never seen adults in youth soccer put their own personal interests above those of the youths they are supposed to be teaching?!

All of that stuff is completely standard, that's not getting into the serious stuff of embezzlement and sexual assault. Those happen less frequently, but I can't believe you haven't heard of specific instances of that in all your years.

My kid is only an 06, so I haven't been around that long, but I've seen or heard of all of that stuff (including the serious stuff). That doesn't even include the stuff I've read about here. Perhaps all that crap falls within your personal set of ethics, but I know I wouldn't do those things myself.

Listen, don't get me wrong. I love club soccer. Bitterness is the last thing I feel about club soccer. It's been a fantastic experience for my family, full of drama, life lessons, and yes, soccer development. But most (notably, not all) of my sons coaches or clubs engaged in some form of that sleaze, and we had to discuss it all as family at the time (and we didn't just "tell him to get better").

...they sound like they are bitter about something. They wouldn't be bitter if their kid was playing. Therefore, I naturally assume...

I absolutely agree that there are a lot of crazy parents. The parents who don't have an inflated sense of their kids' skills are few and far between. Absolutely. But where you go off track is to assume that the only possible reason to be "bitter" is if your kid isn't playing. That doesn't follow. There are many improvements to be made. In fact, I think the kids who are the absolute best are the ones who are most poorly served by the sleaze and therefore have the most right to complain -- there are plenty of roster spots available for mediocre players.

Twice on this thread you've slapped people with this argument. Fishme1 pretty definitely established that his kids play at the highest level. Personally, I see no reason to get into my own kid, except to say I'm totally comfortable with his level. Whether he benches on a Flight 3 C team or starts on a CSL-winning Gold team doesn't affect my ability to observe that the structure of club soccer in the US tolerates and even incentivizes some pretty crappy behaviour by those in positions of authority.

So you've never seen a kid dramatically increase playing time by paying for exorbitant privates with the head coach? You've never heard a DOC say that their club is all about development, when in fact they're serving up win-at-all costs soccer and doing everything they can to recruit players away from rival teams? You've never seen a coach put short term success over the long term development of a player? You've never seen a coach take a ton of money for privates from a kid who obviously will never reach his/her goals? You've never heard a DOC talk about college recruitment to rec level players? You've never seen a club where finances are completely mismanaged? You've never seen dynamic young coaches farting around with u-little C teams while the mailing-it-in texters handle the big-roster high school A teams? You've never heard of a coach lying about their licence? You've never heard of age violations? You've never seen DOCs covering up for alcoholic or abusive coaches? You've never seen coaches stack their rosters to increase their salaries? You've never noticed a coach belatedly realizing he can't play on Yom Kippur just after his star player is injured (admittedly, that probably only happens in CSL)? You've never noticed the most winning coach at a club happens to coach the club president's DD?

You've really never seen adults in youth soccer put their own personal interests above those of the youths they are supposed to be teaching?!

All of that stuff is completely standard, that's not getting into the serious stuff of embezzlement and sexual assault. Those happen less frequently, but I can't believe you haven't heard of specific instances of that in all your years.

My kid is only an 06, so I haven't been around that long, but I've seen or heard of all of that stuff (including the serious stuff). That doesn't even include the stuff I've read about here. Perhaps all that crap falls within your personal set of ethics, but I know I wouldn't do those things myself.

Listen, don't get me wrong. I love club soccer. Bitterness is the last thing I feel about club soccer. It's been a fantastic experience for my family, full of drama, life lessons, and yes, soccer development. But most (notably, not all) of my sons coaches or clubs engaged in some form of that sleaze, and we had to discuss it all as family at the time (and we didn't just "tell him to get better").

I absolutely agree that there are a lot of crazy parents. The parents who don't have an inflated sense of their kids' skills are few and far between. Absolutely. But where you go off track is to assume that the only possible reason to be "bitter" is if your kid isn't playing. That doesn't follow. There are many improvements to be made. In fact, I think the kids who are the absolute best are the ones who are most poorly served by the sleaze and therefore have the most right to complain -- there are plenty of roster spots available for mediocre players.

Twice on this thread you've slapped people with this argument. Fishme1 pretty definitely established that his kids play at the highest level. Personally, I see no reason to get into my own kid, except to say I'm totally comfortable with his level. Whether he benches on a Flight 3 C team or starts on a CSL-winning Gold team doesn't affect my ability to observe that the structure of club soccer in the US tolerates and even incentivizes some pretty crappy behaviour by those in positions of authority.
Answers to your questions in order: 1. No. The clubs I've been involved with don't permit the coach of a team to give privates to a kid on their own team. 2. Yes, all the time. 3. Yes. 4. Yes, but not his own team's player. 5. No. 6. Not really. These are volunteers, so it can be a little sloppy, but I haven't seen any real abuse. 7. No. 8. No. 9. In basketball, yes, but not much in soccer. 10. No. 11. No. 12. No. 13. No. 14. Maybe a little.

I have a lot of concern about the types of coaches and managers and other adults involved with my kids. I guess, from reading your post, my family has been fortunate...and that's at 6 clubs with 3 kids over the last 13 years, including the DA. There were some specific, totally unsubstantiated and I believe entirely false claims made here about a coach (and by extension, some families) who just lost a job and needs to find another one. That type of accusation in a public forum warrants my reaction. I didn't intend to ridicule anyone's kid but I do seek to impugn the motives of the people who would spread such an ugly and unfounded rumor.

So you've never seen a kid dramatically increase playing time by paying for exorbitant privates with the head coach? You've never heard....

This post should be printed out, laminated , and handed out to parents as a public service. If you haven't been exposed to a good chunk of what Bubbles is on about, then you're either lucky, blind, or some blissful combination of the two.

Wow I'm stunned and disgusted that my son came across this thread looking up his former coach. I made an account for this forum just to be able to shed some light on who JC really is. My son played for him when he was up and coming in Anaheim Hills. He was an excellent coach and a fantastic human being. He was always honest even when he knew it wasn't what the parent wanted to hear he gave it to you straight and would always give a solution to the problem. He is one of the few coaches that is hyper aware of building a player's confidence and not always shouting criticisms. His teams are always a pleasure to watch. I've stayed in contact with him on occasion and I do know that during his time at LAFC he did no other type of training (team, group, personal). He wanted strictly to focus on his work in helping to build the new MLS academy. This idea that he would take money from a family to give playing time to a player is laughable. This man is a professional in every sense. I can't say I'm surprised some low life would spread such crap but it bothers me that people are trying to damage a mans reputation, who probably has no idea, when he is out there trying to do good work for youth soccer in this country. You don't deserve JC.

Just heard that Joey Cascio is no longer the coach for LAFC Academy. Can anyone confirm? I heard the reason too, but don't want to speculate on that. As much as I think the guy is a deusche bag and it doesn't surprise me one bit, I do not want to go spreading unconfirmed rumors. Was wondering if anyone knew the facts.

In a later post you say you don't know much about the guy. Yet so quick to take swipes. Maybe you've seen him work from a distance and came to a judgmental conclusion. It seems you've mistaken his confidence for arrogance. you also later talk about how players need a leader with ethics, values, humbleness etc. how can you say that JC doesn't possess these things when you don't know him? Your posts are really a reflection of your lack of some of these areas. JC has tasted success in the youth ranks exactly because of his character, humbleness, values, and ethics. Do you think his teams would play the way they do if he lacked in these areas? If he did then no chance. Only natural for someone experiencing success to have haters And clearly he has one in you. Props to JC. He's one of only about 3-5 top level youth coaches in so cal. Have a convo with him, about life, footy, and I'm sure you'll be impressed and probably unable to keep up on the footy part. Once you do report back to us all and provide some facts instead of some fake news bullshit you heard from another parent.

Now coaching at LA Galaxy South Bay boys 2002

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=447370

money-matress1.png

One example. Not a coach but treasurer.
http://abc7.com/news/oc-youth-soccer-club-treasurer-pleads-guilty-to-embezzling-$175k/1188772/

Sort of what life is like.

My kids sucks, I never knew I could pay the coach to play them !!!!
I'm entirely joking, and reading this thread Id like to see more evidence , not saying anyone is right or wrong posting on here, but wait till something formal comes out before you argue among yourselves. Everyone is so quick to bark or bite back on here. Tranquilo a bit..

W
My kids sucks, I never knew I could pay the coach to play them !!!!
I'm entirely joking, and reading this thread Id like to see more evidence , not saying anyone is right or wrong posting on here, but wait till something formal comes out before you argue among yourselves. Everyone is so quick to bark or bite back on here. Tranquilo a bit..
What is your argument? I didn't understand your gibberish.

Parents didn't pay. MLS academies are all scholarship. I hope your child is talented enough to be in that situation someday.
No they arent. Most are free. A few have small fees and last I check DC United still charging full club fees - but doesnt surprise me given how they negotiate player contracts

I had to reread this thread to make sure people weren't misspelling LAUFA the whole time! :D

Answers to your questions in order: 1. No. The clubs I've been involved with don't permit the coach of a team to give privates to a kid on their own team. 2. Yes, all the time. 3. Yes. 4. Yes, but not his own team's player. 5. No. 6. Not really. These are volunteers, so it can be a little sloppy, but I haven't seen any real abuse. 7. No. 8. No. 9. In basketball, yes, but not much in soccer. 10. No. 11. No. 12. No. 13. No. 14. Maybe a little.

I have a lot of concern about the types of coaches and managers and other adults involved with my kids. I guess, from reading your post, my family has been fortunate...and that's at 6 clubs with 3 kids over the last 13 years, including the DA. There were some specific, totally unsubstantiated and I believe entirely false claims made here about a coach (and by extension, some families) who just lost a job and needs to find another one. That type of accusation in a public forum warrants my reaction. I didn't intend to ridicule anyone's kid but I do seek to impugn the motives of the people who would spread such an ugly and unfounded rumor.

"These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them.
That's institutionalized." - Red "The Shawshank Redemption"

Back