LAFC part ways wit Joey Cascio

soccerstud

SILVER
Just heard that Joey Cascio is no longer the coach for LAFC Academy. Can anyone confirm? I heard the reason too, but don't want to speculate on that. As much as I think the guy is a deusche bag and it doesn't surprise me one bit, I do not want to go spreading unconfirmed rumors. Was wondering if anyone knew the facts.

Just heard that Joey Cascio is no longer the coach for LAFC Academy. Can anyone confirm? I heard the reason too, but don't want to speculate on that. As much as I think the guy is a deusche bag and it doesn't surprise me one bit, I do not want to go spreading unconfirmed rumors. Was wondering if anyone knew the facts.

Is it something other people should know about?

I just confirmed, his name is no longer listed as head coach on LAFC website. It's no where to be found actually...must be true that he is gone. It makes sense that he got let go being that it's the middle of the Academy season. What a dumb ass!!! He had a great thing going at LAFC with lots of potential. KARMA for what he did to FC Golden State Academy...good riddance

I don't know much about the guy only that he knows Brian Kleiban. I had never heard of him before he went to FC Golden State in Dec. 2015. He was hired to replace the 2004/2005 coach who had left to SD Surf. Joey brought over all his team from Man. U, treated the FC Golden State boys and parents like crap, kicked a few players out, and quit after 2 weeks cause he got the LAFC job. During the Christmas break, he called 80% of the FC Golden State 04 and 05 boys to recruit them for LAFC. Only 4 or 5 boys ended up going with him, but 2 begged to go back after 3 months. I can say that in the year he was with LAFC, he did a great job with his boys. His teams have come along very well which is what makes the reason for getting fired even more believable.

Usually, you hire a DOC and then that DOC hires coaches and/or trains those coaches to build teams to play the DOCs preferred style of play.

What LAFC did is hire a coach in Cascio, before they hired the DOC. I'm guessing LAFC didn't hire a DOC first because they only had one team.

Since they are planning to have more teams next year (at least 2) and their press releases say they will have full academy teams by 2018, I'm guessing LAFC decided it was time to hire the DOC.

It's never easy to be running the show, and then all of a sudden have a boss (the new DOC) who didn't hire you and has no ties to you, looking over your shoulder.

I bet Cascio and the new DOC didn't see eye to eye. Maybe the new DOC didn't like the style of play the team exhibited under Cascio, maybe the two didn't get along, maybe the DOC thought the team wasn't improving fast enough under Cascio, or maybe the new DOC just wanted to bring in his guy.

It's really a backasswards way of doing things, hiring a coach and building a team, then hiring a DOC who may not like the coach or team and blow them both up and start over, but it saved LAFC a lot of money.

And that's probably LAFC's main goal with their academy at this point, just keep the costs down. I would not be surprised to see the new DOC making a lot of changes in coaches and players going forward.

Usually, you hire a DOC and then that DOC hires coaches and/or trains those coaches to build teams to play the DOCs preferred style of play.

What LAFC did is hire a coach in Cascio, before they hired the DOC. I'm guessing LAFC didn't hire a DOC first because they only had one team.

Since they are planning to have more teams next year (at least 2) and their press releases say they will have full academy teams by 2018, I'm guessing LAFC decided it was time to hire the DOC.

It's never easy to be running the show, and then all of a sudden have a boss (the new DOC) who didn't hire you and has no ties to you, looking over your shoulder.

I bet Cascio and the new DOC didn't see eye to eye. Maybe the new DOC didn't like the style of play the team exhibited under Cascio, maybe the two didn't get along, maybe the DOC thought the team wasn't improving fast enough under Cascio, or maybe the new DOC just wanted to bring in his guy.

It's really a backasswards way of doing things, hiring a coach and building a team, then hiring a DOC who may not like the coach or team and blow them both up and start over, but it saved LAFC a lot of money.

And that's probably LAFC's main goal with their academy at this point, just keep the costs down. I would not be surprised to see the new DOC making a lot of changes in coaches and players going forward.
Supposedly the Club Director didn't feel Cascio had enough experience to move on with LAFC's plan to expand the academy. They replaced him and his staff with 5 new academy coaches and a consultant
from the Tovo Academy who will take over the U14s next season.

It's all about the business and the corporate plan.

I'm optimistic as to what LAFC brings to the table in a few years. Once their pro team is up and running and their academy teams are fully operating at all age groups, it *could* be a good thing.

Mutually exclusive change, done a while ago. Best of luck to JC, he has a bright future, don't be surprised if you see him coaching next season in DA.

FYI LAFC will start MLS play next season and are planning on having a full slate of ussda teams for 18-19'. Great things ahead, latest update on the stadium

Orange County Blues vs LA Galaxy 2 this sat 4pm Stub hub track & field stadium. Come out and show your support
http://www.orangecountysoccer.com

Supposedly the Club Director didn't feel Cascio had enough experience to move on with LAFC's plan to expand the academy. They replaced him and his staff with 5 new academy coaches and a consultant
from the Tovo Academy who will take over the U14s next season.
Makes sense and it's a predictable result when you hire a DOC after hiring the coach of one team.

I've heard that Cascio is a good coach who scouted the 04s really hard trying to stock LAFC with talent, so I hope he lands on his feet.

Reading over my post, it sounds like I'm being critical of LAFC, but I'm not. LAFC has other more important priorities (stadium and pro team) and finding ways to save money on the academy team at this stage of their buildout is completely understandable and makes perfect sense.

"Supposedly the Club Director didn't feel Cascio had enough experience to move on with LAFC's plan to expand the academy"...but why part ways with him in the middle of the season?
"Mutually exclusive change, done a while ago"...again, why in the middle of the season? Everything else makes sense with the DOC being hired and all...

I would like to hear from the parents of the 04 teams...two very strong rumors going around of why he was let go effective immediatley

During the Christmas break, he called 80% of the FC Golden State 04 and 05 boys to recruit them for LAFC. Only 4 or 5 boys ended up going with him, but 2 begged to go back after 3 months. I can say that in the year he was with LAFC, he did a great job with his boys. His teams have come along very well which is what makes the reason for getting fired even more believable.
Something's off here. If he did such a "great job with his boys" and his "teams have come along very well" why is his canning "even more believable"? If he was that good, shouldn't his being let go be even less believable?

Also, why did the GSA players beg to go back?

Rumors are he was taking money and got caught. He was also charging parents for playing time and when he didn't deliver parents, blew the whistle. That's how LAFC began to look into the matter. He was immediately let go. Again, I want to reiterate that i heard the same story from 3 different parents still at LAFC but there is no way of confirming it. Maybe they were the parents of the kids in the bench and just spoke out of spite. I just thought it didn't make sense for JC to be let go in the middle of the season when his team had improved so much in the year he coached. But if you consider the rumor, it does make sense. The last thing LAFC needs right now is a scandal with their academy.

FCGSA kids wanted to return to FCGSA because of the erratic training schedules & locations of LAFC. The drive was too much for their kids. Live in the IE, Fontana, and make the drive to LA 4 days a week was too much and for no reason. They did not get anything different than what they had at FCGSA. None of them were allowed back, so they remained till this day with LAFC.

Rumors are he was taking money and got caught. He was also charging parents for playing time and when he didn't deliver parents, blew the whistle. That's how LAFC began to look into the matter. He was immediately let go. Again, I want to reiterate that i heard the same story from 3 different parents still at LAFC but there is no way of confirming it. Maybe they were the parents of the kids in the bench and just spoke out of spite. I just thought it didn't make sense for JC to be let go in the middle of the season when his team had improved so much in the year he coached. But if you consider the rumor, it does make sense. The last thing LAFC needs right now is a scandal with their academy.

FCGSA kids wanted to return to FCGSA because of the erratic training schedules & locations of LAFC. The drive was too much for their kids. Live in the IE, Fontana, and make the drive to LA 4 days a week was too much and for no reason. They did not get anything different than what they had at FCGSA. None of them were allowed back, so they remained till this day with LAFC.

I guess he took "pay to play" too literally.

Back