LA Surf is born

didn't IE leave Surf already? I thought they went to Legends? .... OC and SD are close enough to put together "Super" teams to enter college showcases, just not sure if they participate in the one's outside of CA. Those would be some good games to see at the older ages.
With OC and SD having DA status, the could combine “super teams” with their non-DA teams, but that still leaves LA a bit on the outside.

Not sure about IE Surf to Legends...very possible that it did which also begs the question as to why would they leave Surf for Legends? Maybe it is geography....

Getting one step closer to each "Brand" running their own league.
Surf League
Slammers League
Pateadores League
Strikers League
Galaxy League

Each of these clubs and affiliates certainly has 6-8 teams per age group that they could run their own league.

From what I heard, Surf dropped IE Surf because the bulk of the teams were under-performing...so, the teams were left with no club affiliation. Some, not all, went to Legends. IE Surf Premiere (05) went to Strikers and is now their ECNL team.

From what I heard, Surf dropped IE Surf because the bulk of the teams were under-performing...so, the teams were left with no club affiliation. Some, not all, went to Legends. IE Surf Premiere (05) went to Strikers and is now their ECNL team.

"Surf dropped IE Surf" They can do that?

As my former manager used to say to us -- "What does the contract say?"

It should allow player's guesting opportunities and give current teams the opportunity to get into the tournaments for the exposure they need to play the collegiate level. Hopefully, it's too far for them to try and recruit current player's which is a good thing. Best of Luck!

The Socal Academy teams already got accepted into all the big tournaments in the top flights of them so there has to be more to it than that, but I don't know and it could nothing more than a name change.

But Central-East LA has one weak DA club and no ECNL exposure at all so perhaps this move maybe has something to do with that.

I don't have many connects up here but I know a fair few SD Surf peeps and they told me a whiles ago there was news coming in LA just wouldn't tell me what it was exactly. Let me do some digging. Certainly the distances between San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles would allow for the three clubs to operate within a totally different section of players in DA.

Here's the official response from SoCal Academy:
"
For SoCal Academy, the decision came after considering the best way to develop their players and coaches.

“After our older team won the girls U19 USSF DA bracket in Surf Cup this past summer, along with a number of key league and tournament wins in 2018 across multiple age groups, we started receiving a lot of attention, as you can imagine,” explained Esteban Chavez, SoCal Academy’s Director of Coaching and one of its founders. “We always looked at opportunities through the lens of how does this help our players develop and compete at the highest level.”

“WE’VE NEVER FELT THE NEED TO GROW FOR GROWTH’S SAKE,” SAID ESTEBAN.

Esteban Chavez is now LA Surf’s Girls Director of Coaching

“Over the years, Surf has always represented the best in competitive youth soccer in Southern California,” said Kevin McCloskey, President of SoCal Academy. “The benefits of creating LA Surf are far-reaching, and were the main driver in forming this partnership.”

https://www.soccertoday.com/la-surf...5q5pbhP9ZjpLyWLQzfwIF4tdaO8GoOtYY0wzKzhdebxBA

Here's the official response from SoCal Academy:
"
For SoCal Academy, the decision came after considering the best way to develop their players and coaches.

“After our older team won the girls U19 USSF DA bracket in Surf Cup this past summer, along with a number of key league and tournament wins in 2018 across multiple age groups, we started receiving a lot of attention, as you can imagine,” explained Esteban Chavez, SoCal Academy’s Director of Coaching and one of its founders. “We always looked at opportunities through the lens of how does this help our players develop and compete at the highest level.”

“WE’VE NEVER FELT THE NEED TO GROW FOR GROWTH’S SAKE,” SAID ESTEBAN.

Esteban Chavez is now LA Surf’s Girls Director of Coaching

“Over the years, Surf has always represented the best in competitive youth soccer in Southern California,” said Kevin McCloskey, President of SoCal Academy. “The benefits of creating LA Surf are far-reaching, and were the main driver in forming this partnership.”

https://www.soccertoday.com/la-surf...5q5pbhP9ZjpLyWLQzfwIF4tdaO8GoOtYY0wzKzhdebxBA

Breaking down those walls --

koolaid.jpg

that would be my guess as it seems this is going to be a big club vs the likes of Inland Empire Surf (now legends ie). Or is it simply $? @SoccerMom05 can you confirm the reason behind this

Nothing is set in stone whether we go DA or ECNL yet. This partnership was solely based on our girls best interest and nothing else.

Breaking down those walls --

koolaid.jpg
That's the idea! :) It's all about the players and upward mobility. For SoCal Academy it's never about the money, all 3 clubs (SCA, SGV, & SFC) are non-profit, no one bought anyone else here. It's a partnership, not a buyout. The 3 clubs formed LA Surf because they needed/wanted to develop their players and coaches -play at the highest levels and they couldn't do it (not for lack of trying) without Surf and everything it brings to the table. Surf is huge yes, but no one can question their development and high standards.

Nothing is set in stone whether we go DA or ECNL yet. This partnership was solely based on our girls best interest and nothing else.

That's the idea! :) It's all about the players and upward mobility. For SoCal Academy it's never about the money, all 3 clubs (SCA, SGV, & SFC) are non-profit, no one bought anyone else here. It's a partnership, not a buyout. The 3 clubs formed LA Surf because they needed/wanted to develop their players and coaches -play at the highest levels and they couldn't do it (not for lack of trying) without the brand.
non-profit doesn't mean much these days however, I would agree all 3 clubs have been about development, all the teams I've seen have been well coached and they know how to play the right way. The "partnership" makes a little more sense, I think they could have gotten there on their own merits although, this gets them there faster. IE Legends & Fullerton Rangers should be a little concerned about losing top talent from those player's within driving distance :eek:

non-profit doesn't mean much these days however, I would agree all 3 clubs have been about development, all the teams I've seen have been well coached and they know how to play the right way. The "partnership" makes a little more sense, I think they could have gotten there on their own merits although, this gets them there faster. IE Legends & Fullerton Rangers should be a little concerned about losing top talent from those player's within driving distance :eek:
My DD is one the OGs (lol) when the 2005 Hazell team was formed and her development has gone thru the roof. All I wanted was for her to learn to play the right way of soccer and they have. As the TM for this team, I couldn't be prouder of the Technically strong talent we have and the many compliments I have received after games. Best of Luck to all.

Thank you for the kind words about our club and teams. This is about National exposure for our girls and Surf was the right fit for SoCal Academy. We are thrilled to take this to the next level with Surf.
This is a fantastic opportunity for your girls, I hope the parents & coaches are stressing the importance of grades, the doors will open and they need to be ready, they need to know that soccer alone may get them there but, the grades get the most merit $$$, their education will be the most important thing past soccer. Best of Luck to you all!

The 3 clubs formed LA Surf because they needed/wanted to develop their players and coaches -play at the highest levels and they couldn't do it (not for lack of trying) without Surf and everything it brings to the table. Surf is huge yes, but no one can question their development and high standards.

I am curious what Surf has done for SGV Surf? How long has that partnership been around? 3 years +?

Can’t wait to get those friendly matches scheduled between LA & SD, or maybe a round robin between LA, OC, and SD ....⚽⚽⚽

I am curious what Surf has done for SGV Surf? How long has that partnership been around? 3 years +?

Competition in that area picked up in the last year or so. Being close to a a couple of these now-surf formerly something else organizations, the standards are still very much set by the local DOC and the individual coaches. But, it does appear that the Surf name helps a lot with recruiting.

The lack of EGSL, however, hurts them going forward on the girls' side.

Back