Jersey Numbers

etc1217

SILVER ELITE
Is there a rule in SCDSL regarding two players having the same jersey number while playing on the field? What is the protocol in this instance?

It happened in our game over the weekend, the referee did nothing about it and allowed both players with the same number play on the field at the same time.

All players must have a number on their jersey. The identical number was more than likely addressed by the referee during check in and something worked out. This is where common sense comes in. Would you want your kid to be told they cannot play because the team manager forgot a jersey at home or a number came off in the wash? The important thing is that the refs know about the discrepancy and have a way to identify the players.

Like my friend said, don't sweat the small things. Maybe they had a tiny one written in front of the number that you couldn't see, but the referee knew about. Just kids playing soccer is all it is.....

All players must have a number on their jersey. The identical number was more than likely addressed by the referee during check in and something worked out. This is where common sense comes in. Would you want your kid to be told they cannot play because the team manager forgot a jersey at home or a number came off in the wash? The important thing is that the refs know about the discrepancy and have a way to identify the players.

While I agree with you, I think a lot of people would like an answer to her question.

The rules in most leagues including SCDSL require a Game Roster with player names and numbers on it. While there may not be a written rule, it is and always has been understood by administrators, coaches and referees that such numbers must be different so the players can be easily identified to track goals and cards.

Of course, no reasonable person will prohibit a player from playing when a little tape will help the identification process. Hence the use of duct tape or similar materials to make the second #2 into #21 or #12, etc.

The rules in most leagues including SCDSL require a Game Roster with player names and numbers on it. While there may not be a written rule, it is and always has been understood by administrators, coaches and referees that such numbers must be different so the players can be easily identified to track goals and cards.

Of course, no reasonable person will prohibit a player from playing when a little tape will help the identification process. Hence the use of duct tape or similar materials to make the second #2 into #21 or #12, etc.
Or a similarly colored shirt with a number written in pen on the sleeve or anything. As long as the player is distinguishable from the other team and similarly colored with his own team, and the referee team knows who he/she is, let’s play. If it’s my game anyway. If someone has an issue, we play, I note it in my match report and I’m on the hook. Just some kids playing a game, that’s all

While I agree with you, I think a lot of people would like an answer to her question.

I did answer. Each play will have a number on their jersey. If two have the same number use tape to add a "1" and annotate on the roster. Common sense works wonders for these teeny tiny problems. I would never tell a player they could not play because of a jersey number conflict.

Is there a rule in SCDSL regarding two players having the same jersey number while playing on the field? What is the protocol in this instance?

It happened in our game over the weekend, the referee did nothing about it and allowed both players with the same number play on the field at the same time.

Let the kid play..let the ref note it on the match report and move on. Don’t get petty on the kids.

Unless, of course, the player has tape or shin guard straps that don't match their socks. Then bench them. :eek:

For most refs, the only time I and they would normally be sticklers about the shinguard straps is for DA /ECNL games, high level tournaments and referee assessments. The sock and strap/tape rule has been around for several years now and the majority of players, coaches and parents know about it and comply. During my assessment game this past weekend, I had a player with blue socks and a white strap on them. When I asked him to change the strap he just took it off and reversed it to the blue side. That was the first shin guard strap with different colors on each side I had seen.

Yes there is a rule. From the SCDSL Rules 2017:
REFEREE GAME RESPONSIBILITIES:
  • Check player’s equipment (FIFA Law 4): cleats, shin guards, and other uniform requirements.
  • Any player without proper equipment will not be allowed to play.
  • Check that the SCDSL Official Game Report is filled out completely and signed by a coach or manager from each team before the game.
  • Check that each player on the lineup sheet has a valid Cal South player pass/card.
  • Check that each player and coach is affiliated with the club.
  • Check that player’s jersey numbers and names are listed on the lineup sheet and that no two players on a given team have the same number.
  • Insure that all players being checked-in match the picture on the player card.
  • Check that each team has a coach with a valid Cal South coaching pass. A minimum of an "E" License is mandatory for all competitive coaches. Any team that does not have person with a valid Cal South coaching pass shall forfeit the game. The “F” license is not a recognized license in the SCDSL.
The protocol is simple, one of the players must put on a new jersey with a number not already on the lineup sheet OR alter their jersey with tape (21 now becomes 121 or 211 or 81 or 27). Simple fix.

If there is no tape or no additional jersey then one of the players, by rule, must sit out the game. Now, if the game lineup was checked and all jersey's were different AND THEN a player enters the field with an entirely different jersey conflicting with the jersey of another player, then we stop the game, send the player off to fix her/his equipment, and the player can reenter with the referee's permission at the next stoppage of time.

At the end of the day ... we want these kids to play and will find every reasonable means to enable that to happen. This is youth soccer after all. The wins and losses at league mean very little in the grand scheme.

Yes there is a rule. From the SCDSL Rules 2017:
REFEREE GAME RESPONSIBILITIES:
  • Check player’s equipment (FIFA Law 4): cleats, shin guards, and other uniform requirements.
  • Any player without proper equipment will not be allowed to play.
  • Check that the SCDSL Official Game Report is filled out completely and signed by a coach or manager from each team before the game.
  • Check that each player on the lineup sheet has a valid Cal South player pass/card.
  • Check that each player and coach is affiliated with the club.
  • Check that player’s jersey numbers and names are listed on the lineup sheet and that no two players on a given team have the same number.
  • Insure that all players being checked-in match the picture on the player card.
  • Check that each team has a coach with a valid Cal South coaching pass. A minimum of an "E" License is mandatory for all competitive coaches. Any team that does not have person with a valid Cal South coaching pass shall forfeit the game. The “F” license is not a recognized license in the SCDSL.
The protocol is simple, one of the players must put on a new jersey with a number not already on the lineup sheet OR alter their jersey with tape (21 now becomes 121 or 211 or 81 or 27). Simple fix.

If there is no tape or no additional jersey then one of the players, by rule, must sit out the game. Now, if the game lineup was checked and all jersey's were different AND THEN a player enters the field with an entirely different jersey conflicting with the jersey of another player, then we stop the game, send the player off to fix her/his equipment, and the player can reenter with the referee's permission at the next stoppage of time.

At the end of the day ... we want these kids to play and will find every reasonable means to enable that to happen. This is youth soccer after all. The wins and losses at league mean very little in the grand scheme.
Can you post a link to your source? I believe you are quoting from a referee association description of the "rules". Or do you have a direct source link to the "SCDSL Rules 2017"?

SCSDL allows club pass players so quite often you will have players borrowing with same jersey number. Most of the time they put tape on or the ref just lets it go.

SCSDL allows club pass players so quite often you will have players borrowing with same jersey number. Most of the time they put tape on or the ref just lets it go.

I have been having the put the tape around their upper arm since the tape on the back comes off when the player sweats. It is an indicator for me to ask for a name if I give a card or their is an injury.

Back