Ivy League Soccer

What do the womens' teams do after the fall season? ie, January - May. Completely off? Practice 2x/week but no games? Practice and a few sporadic games but nothing like the Div. 1 schools?

Same for the men?

MAP is right you should pm @Zerodenero. I think they do lifting and conditioning and practices with a handful of scrimmages. Some will use the second half of their junior year to study abroad. So you get this mix of freshmen and sophomores to train with since the seniors are checked out(!) and the juniors are abroad.

What do the womens' teams do after the fall season? ie, January - May. Completely off? Practice 2x/week but no games? Practice and a few sporadic games but nothing like the Div. 1 schools?

MAP is right you should pm @Zerodenero. I think they do lifting and conditioning and practices with a handful of scrimmages. Some will use the second half of their junior year to study abroad. So you get this mix of freshmen and sophomores to train with since the seniors are checked out(!) and the juniors are abroad.

Canada, you and soccer-o pretty much summed it right. Add a day or 2 on training and 3-4 spring games/scrimmages vs local NE colleges.

Probably the most noticeable thing I’ve observed so far is that many of the players in this conference are aware of and eager for the next phase in their life path.

The ivy student athlete is often lured/pulled by the private/public sector to do internships or enticed with travel by spending a semester overseas at other top universities around the globe....which in my laymen opinion is understandable given the environment and historical trajectory of the graduates from this league.

But to get back to your question, no. It’s not like a power 5 program (unless your player is going to be Tiger in the state of NJ).

Feel free to PM me w/any detailed Q :)

Canada, you and soccer-o pretty much summed it right. Add a day or 2 on training and 3-4 spring games/scrimmages vs local NE colleges.

Probably the most noticeable thing I’ve observed so far is that many of the players in this conference are aware of and eager for the next phase in their life path.

The ivy student athlete is often lured/pulled by the private/public sector to do internships or enticed with travel by spending a semester overseas at other top universities around the globe....which in my laymen opinion is understandable given the environment and historical trajectory of the graduates from this league.

But to get back to your question, no. It’s not like a power 5 program (unless your player is going to be Tiger in the state of NJ).

Feel free to PM me w/any detailed Q :)
Great info ZD, thanks! I'm sure it's helpful to many forum readers coming up the HS ranks. So they do practice as a team (with the coach) the 1-2x/week throughout the 2nd semester? Or, does it actually start in earnest after the weather turns, say in March? And then when do they have to report back in the summer for training before the Fall semester?

Makes sense that the ivy players are getting a more diverse college experience and more time to spend on academic pursuits. Your player finding the rigorous academic schedule manageable with soccer?

Great info ZD, thanks! I'm sure it's helpful to many forum readers coming up the HS ranks. So they do practice as a team (with the coach) the 1-2x/week throughout the 2nd semester? Or, does it actually start in earnest after the weather turns, say in March? And then when do they have to report back in the summer for training before the Fall semester?

Makes sense that the ivy players are getting a more diverse college experience and more time to spend on academic pursuits. Your player finding the rigorous academic schedule manageable with soccer?

The Ivy League was, I believe, the first organized athletic conference. The original idea proposed by the Presidents of the institutions involved was to set up a system of fair contests that were less likely to result in injuries to students and interference in their studies. Later, other colleges organized conferences (just about anything with "Big..." or a number in its name, for examples) along similar lines, to hold down costs to a level that could be tolerated by all so that they didn't just spend themselves into bankruptcy trying to win the Homecoming or Big Rivalry football games every year. Now the NCAA has grown into a staff of hundreds of lawyers and accountants who occasionally have to remind themselves and the members that the primary aim of an institution of higher education is higher education. The Ivies still seem to have their priorities straight* (or at least straighter than the famed Power 5, et al.). If a player doesn't get a professional soccer career out of his playing time at Harvard, he still has that Harvard degree to fall back on.

*Although sometimes leakages occur, such as with Ned Harkness' time coaching Cornell ice hockey and lacrosse, when he found out that the New York State Agriculture College, adjacent to the Cornell campus, and sharing classes and social (and especially athletic) life, was not subject to the Ivy limits to scholarships.

Does anyone have any insight on the Ivy process?? My daughter is considering one, but also other schools and just trying to figure out the process.

So explain the likely letter, chances of admission- and I know there aren’t athletic or merit scholarships, but have heard there are other means of obtaining money. Not sure on the accuracy of that.

She is weighing a larger scholarship possibly at a less rigorous institution academically vs trying to go for ivy and potentially have to pay a lot more out of pocket. Also balancing the more competitive academic environment while playing soccer, positives and negatives to both.

Yes. Feel free to post q/a or pm me.

She is weighing a larger scholarship possibly at a less rigorous institution academically vs trying to go for ivy and potentially have to pay a lot more out of pocket. Also balancing the more competitive academic environment while playing soccer, positives and negatives to both.

They don't call him ZeroDenero for nothing!!

Kidding! My kid isn't in an Ivy, but she has a friend who went to Princeton and they have very reasonable needs based financial aid programs and usually will make it work for your family's income level. I think it was rated the best value school in the nation because of this.

They don't call him ZeroDenero for nothing!!

Kidding! My kid isn't in an Ivy, but she has a friend who went to Princeton and they have very reasonable needs based financial aid programs and usually will make it work for your family's income level. I think it was rated the best value school in the nation because of this.

The boundary line for an Ivy League school or any school that pretends to the local "Ivy" is that if you can get in, they will make sure you can afford it.

great info, please keep the conversation public...for Princeton, and I believe other Ivy's similar, if your annual income is $150K or less you get free tuition but must pay room/board. If making less than $70K or thereabouts, then room/board free too. Of course, if you have 7-figure assets and just no income, then you're not getting any freebies.

Many Ivy league schools have massive endowments on their books, meaning tons and tons of money available for the right students. For example, the Harvard Endowment fund is somewhere like $37 Billion. Yale $30 Billion. Compare that to University of Oregon at $912M or UCLA endowment at $5Billion. A 37 Billion dollar fund throwing out at 5% is 1.85 Billion dollars. The Ivy Leagues like Harvard now set their tuition based on need. You get in and pay what you can, the endowment covers the rest.

Full disclosure ... my kid will likely go to technical school in Alabama and study internet scams.

So explain the likely letter, chances of admission- and I know there aren’t athletic or merit scholarships, but have heard there are other means of obtaining money. Not sure on the accuracy of that.

Momo- Not to be curt, but the likely is just what it says...likely. As long as your player continues the same trajectory Of getting the letter, your in. It’s just insurance on their end to ensure your kid doesn’t go off the deep end.

As for the “Kwon” $$, it’s there. But as others have mentioned, you need to look and ask.

Since canada mentioned Princeton, here’s the first place to look: https://admission.princeton.edu/cost-aid/financial-aid-estimator

All of the Ivy’s have them (est fin calc) , but the big 3 who have the biggest endowments probably hand out the most. When our DD was in the recruit process, we were told she would likely receive about 8% more than the estimate. We found that to be accurate. And even when it was officially granted, we petitioned and she received additional funding. But every family & players situation is a unique, case by case file.

Couple things to remember re varsity sports in the Ivy’s . Presuming you’re not using Rick Singers contact list (oops:eek:)....sports are the Backdoor to get in. And when you player is in, the $$ they receive is not contingent on playing the sport. My player had a great 1st season, but 2 concussions (late season & spring ball) forced her to rethink her long term goals. This year she isn’t playing, sitting out a year and considering playing different, non-contact varsity sport.....thank goodness for old timers on this forum sharing words of wisdom of picking the school 1st, soccer/sport program 2nd. She legit loves the school, experience, diversity, history etc etc....total tangent story but sort of relevant.

I’d summarize simply as this, have your player start with the end in mind. Does the Ivy school that’s recruiting your player benefit your player in achieving his/her Long term goals? If so, do what u gottta do. If not, all good. Many roads lead to Rome.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you/your player :)

Thank you for your insight. This does help. My players current grades are enough to get in, first pass at testing on ACT was not good enough, but close. She did zero prep, so I think she can get there if that is what she really wants. I guess that is the bigger question for her, is that where she really wants to be and is she willing to do what is needed to get there. We will see!

Momo- Not to be curt, but the likely is just what it says...likely. As long as your player continues the same trajectory Of getting the letter, your in. It’s just insurance on their end to ensure your kid doesn’t go off the deep end.

As for the “Kwon” $$, it’s there. But as others have mentioned, you need to look and ask.

Since canada mentioned Princeton, here’s the first place to look: https://admission.princeton.edu/cost-aid/financial-aid-estimator

All of the Ivy’s have them (est fin calc) , but the big 3 who have the biggest endowments probably hand out the most. When our DD was in the recruit process, we were told she would likely receive about 8% more than the estimate. We found that to be accurate. And even when it was officially granted, we petitioned and she received additional funding. But every family & players situation is a unique, case by case file.

Couple things to remember re varsity sports in the Ivy’s . Presuming you’re not using Rick Singers contact list (oops:eek:)....sports are the Backdoor to get in. And when you player is in, the $$ they receive is not contingent on playing the sport. My player had a great 1st season, but 2 concussions (late season & spring ball) forced her to rethink her long term goals. This year she isn’t playing, sitting out a year and considering playing different, non-contact varsity sport.....thank goodness for old timers on this forum sharing words of wisdom of picking the school 1st, soccer/sport program 2nd. She legit loves the school, experience, diversity, history etc etc....total tangent story but sort of relevant.

I’d summarize simply as this, have your player start with the end in mind. Does the Ivy school that’s recruiting your player benefit your player in achieving his/her Long term goals? If so, do what u gottta do. If not, all good. Many roads lead to Rome.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you/your player :)

Does anyone have any insight on the Ivy process?? My daughter is considering one, but also other schools and just trying to figure out the process.
@Zerodenero is the expert on all things Ivy League soccer. Another resource is the website for the Ivy League sports.

Here is the link:
https://ivyleague.com/standings.aspx?standings=1162

You can look up each season to see which teams has done well consistently etc. Brown is atop the standings this season and I think their coach is only on her 2nd or 3rd season there. Princeton got a new coach about 4 seasons ago and he helped propel the team into the NCAA D1 later rounds (Sweet 16 elite 8 or something like that).

My daughter flew to Princeton’s recruiting clinic. She received videotape of her play, specific comments on what to work on and they asked to see her more. Ultimately she decided that a smaller school fit her better and the HC is kind of intense in a good way. Her Princeton experience made a very strong positive impression on her. They were the most crisp sophisticated and organized camp she attended.

The Ivy league could end up with 3 bids into the tournament. My money is on 2 Brown and Harvard with Brown getting #4 seed. They don't really deserve the seed but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get it.

Back