It's Club Soccer - Don't Complain About it

That’s not quite right.

To get the scholarship, you have to have grades plus the soccer ability. Soccer is not a revenue sport. Unlike men’s football or basketball, you can’t get in on ability alone. SoCal is viewed as the top recruiting area, so SoCal kids with good grades and starting on an academy team should have an easy time getting scholarships. Kids with shitty grades, they are going to have a tough time no matter how good they are. There are a lot of kids on academy teams with poor grades so even good academy players will not necessarily wind up with a scholarship.

SoCal kids that are good players but not on an academy team and with good grades will have to do College ID camps and showcases to draw interest.

So the numbers you post don’t mean much without the context of grades factored in.

The scholarship money is so little, you will probably have spent more on club fees and driving than any savings you get from a scholarship. The main benefit is, it helps get the kid into a school that fits him, and allows him or her to play in college.
Agree with most of what you posted except your final paragraph. We were pleasantly surprised in the amount of scholarship $ my DD received. Granted, they gave her both academic and athletic but soccer is what got her in and her grades made it easier for the coach to make her an offer.

Reactions: JJP
Agree with most of what you posted except your final paragraph. We were pleasantly surprised in the amount of scholarship $ my DD received. Granted, they gave her both academic and athletic but soccer is what got her in and her grades made it easier for the coach to make her an offer.
Congrats. It might be different for girls, but for boys getting non-football, non-basketball scholarships the money is so little. After the football, basketball and Title 9 money is dished out, there’s crumbs left for everyone else. Boys will often get better scholarship from D3 rather than D1 schools, they just get a “need” scholarship in lieu of an athletic scholarship.

That’s not quite right.

To get the scholarship, you have to have grades plus the soccer ability. Soccer is not a revenue sport. Unlike men’s football or basketball, you can’t get in on ability alone. SoCal is viewed as the top recruiting area, so SoCal kids with good grades and starting on an academy team should have an easy time getting scholarships. Kids with shitty grades, they are going to have a tough time no matter how good they are. There are a lot of kids on academy teams with poor grades so even good academy players will not necessarily wind up with a scholarship.

SoCal kids that are good players but not on an academy team and with good grades will have to do College ID camps and showcases to draw interest.

So the numbers you post don’t mean much without the context of grades factored in.

JJP, so I do agree with you and you actually made my initial statement of 99% as best case scenario. For Boys,it's not worth going pro or getting a partial scholarship in soccer. In North America, College Soccer should be considered only if your kid has passion for the sport and they just want to keep playing.

The only way that a professional career makes sense is if you can make it to Europe and that's not happening unless you find a way to play in Europe at a young age and move up their academy system. The average starting MLS salary is around $60k or so, The average starting salary in my industry (IT Security) is $90k. My teenage boys will be done with club soccer this year and then it's focus on grades.

Bottom line, we need starting salaries of $200k in MLS to really attract more talent and have kids bypass college soccer and focus just on making it to the pro's.

Reactions: JJP
Congrats. It might be different for girls, but for boys getting non-football, non-basketball scholarships the money is so little. After the football, basketball and Title 9 money is dished out, there’s crumbs left for everyone else. Boys will often get better scholarship from D3 rather than D1 schools, they just get a “need” scholarship in lieu of an athletic scholarship.
And just another reason why the best U.S. athletes choose football or basketball over soccer.

My all world short guy team. Pretty decent squad I would say although they wouldn’t enjoy rotating at keeper and corners would be an adventure. :eek:

Ngolo Kante 5’6”
Dani Alves 5’7”
Jordi Alba 5’7”
Marco Verratti 5’6”
Andres Iniesta 5’7”
Eden Hazard 5’7”
David Silva 5’6”
Alexis Sanchez 5’6”
Philippe Coutinho 5’7”
Raheem Sterling 5’6”
Lionel Messi 5’7”

My guess is those American “scouts” so obsessed with size would have passed on almost every one of these guys.

Short people - they got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet
Well, I don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Don't want no short people
Round here
Short people are just the same
Short people got nobody
To love
They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up

And just another reason why the best U.S. athletes choose football or basketball over soccer.
Gotta disagree with u here. Soccer bodies and skills are different. 3 sub limitations means minimum you need 7 players (not including goalie) to run for 90 minutes. Soccer favors smaller, sleeker athletes than basketball or football (Why carry extra weight for 90 minutes? Who needs extra foot of height when the ball is at your feet?)

If you look at the world’s greatest soccer players and rising youngsters, guys like Messi, C. Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez, Mbappe, O. Dembele, all of them are too short to be NBA players. And of that group, only Ronaldo and Suarez could possibly play NFL, but I doubt it.

It's all odds. Scouts do this for numerous sports. It gives you an insight on whats to come. Process of elimination, especially for girls. Look at the mother. Especially the hips, height and weight. Its key factor that eliminates quite a few girls from sports around their sophomore year of high school.

If your going to invest in an athlete and distribute a portion of your universitys scholarship funds you better be sure.

Better yet, Scouts should look at the wives! (Height is clearly not a factor):

Unknown.jpeg article-0-0A84BE94000005DC-174_468x343.jpginstagram1t-t.jpg

It's all odds. Scouts do this for numerous sports. It gives you an insight on whats to come. Process of elimination, especially for girls. Look at the mother. Especially the hips, height and weight. Its key factor that eliminates quite a few girls from sports around their sophomore year of high school.

If your going to invest in an athlete and distribute a portion of your universitys scholarship funds you better be sure.

If your married, I'm also sure you have been told to take a good look at your mother-in-law because there's a very high percentage your wife's going to end up looking just like her.
My parents are 5'8" and 5'6", I am 6'4" and played college basketball. My wife was a college gymnast and is 5'1", our 14 year old daughter is 5'8" and growing taller everyday it seems. This seems like yet another failure in our scouting system. Scouting kids and offering scholarships before they are fully developed is just another example of why our system is failing in many aspects.

Title IX has nothing to do with how much scholarship money is available for male sports. Females make up more than half the population and more than half of the number of undergraduate college students. I am not able to quickly find what the proportion is of scholarship dollars, but I would be surprised if women get more than half of the scholarship dollars available due to the unequal opportunities for female athletes at younger ages in the US due to various factors (cultural, tradition, etc.). Football is the biggest reason non-football male athletes have fewer athletic scholarship opportunities.

My parents are 5'8" and 5'6", I am 6'4" and played college basketball. My wife was a college gymnast and is 5'1", our 14 year old daughter is 5'8" and growing taller everyday it seems. This seems like yet another failure in our scouting system. Scouting kids and offering scholarships before they are fully developed is just another example of why our system is failing in many aspects.

Again there are always exceptions but for the most part, offsprings tend to share genetic characteristics with their parents. Not an opinion - its a fact.

While gene can get passed down not obvious from immediate parents, it is in the family some where or the source same from a different gene pool or some mutation/stimulation has occurred that is not the norm.

Clearly you daughter has inherited your height and even if she stopped growing at this level, she would be consider to be on the tall side for general female population. So the scout would look at you and see her height at 14 yrs and probably think that there may be a bit left but being female, they would take into an account where else she is in her puberty phase and make the call.

Title IX has nothing to do with how much scholarship money is available for male sports.

False. Men’s football and basketball earn the the money and are the golden goose. Women’s sports and the remaining men’s sports spend the money. Colleges will only allocate so much money to non-revenue sports. To balance the REVENUE EARNING 97 men’s football and basketball scholarships doled out (85 football 12 b-ball), about 97 NON-REVENUE women’s sports scholarships have to be handed out to comply with Title 9. Very little is left over for NON-REVENUE men’s sports scholarships.

Basically, the non-revenue sports are competing for the football and basketball money. Title 9 guarantees that non-revenue women’s sports will get a lot more of the football/basketball dollars than non-revenue men’s sports.

Females make up more than half the population and more than half of the number of undergraduate college students. I am not able to quickly find what the proportion is of scholarship dollars, but I would be surprised if women get more than half of the scholarship dollars available due to the unequal opportunities for female athletes at younger ages in the US due to various factors (cultural, tradition, etc.). Football is the biggest reason non-football male athletes have fewer athletic scholarship opportunities.

I can’t believe you are blaming football, which along with men’s basketball, produced the money that funds women’s scholarships, as the reason why male athletes have fewer scholarships. Without football and men’s basketball, there’s no money to fund any scholarships. You are creating a false equivalency between REVENUE EARNING scholarships and NON-REVENUE EARNING SCHOLARSHIPS. Title 9 is obviously the only reason why men’s sports outside of football and basketball have so little funding.

I don’t have an issue with women’s sports receiving football money. My opinion is, non-revenue sports should split the money equally between the boys and girls. Because the way things are done now, a lot of men’s sports, like wrestling, men’s track and field, gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball are getting wiped out at the college level.

It’s like college men’s sports have gone to divorce court and got stuck with all the bills and child and spousal support and then we don’t even get to play or watch our own games. It sucks.

For boys. Best female athletes choose soccer.
Maybe, but they should choose golf or tennis or another sport they can make some money.
False. Men’s football and basketball earn the the money and are the golden goose. Women’s sports and the remaining men’s sports spend the money. Colleges will only allocate so much money to non-revenue sports. To balance the REVENUE EARNING 97 men’s football and basketball scholarships doled out (85 football 12 b-ball), about 97 NON-REVENUE women’s sports scholarships have to be handed out to comply with Title 9. Very little is left over for NON-REVENUE men’s sports scholarships.

Basically, the non-revenue sports are competing for the football and basketball money. Title 9 guarantees that non-revenue women’s sports will get a lot more of the football/basketball dollars than non-revenue men’s sports.

I can’t believe you are blaming football, which along with men’s basketball, produced the money that funds women’s scholarships, as the reason why male athletes have fewer scholarships. Without football and men’s basketball, there’s no money to fund any scholarships. You are creating a false equivalency between REVENUE EARNING scholarships and NON-REVENUE EARNING SCHOLARSHIPS. Title 9 is obviously the only reason why men’s sports outside of football and basketball have so little funding.

I don’t have an issue with women’s sports receiving football money. My opinion is, non-revenue sports should split the money equally between the boys and girls. Because the way things are done now, a lot of men’s sports, like wrestling, men’s track and field, gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, volleyball are getting wiped out at the college level.

It’s like college men’s sports have gone to divorce court and got stuck with all the bills and child and spousal support and then we don’t even get to play or watch our own games. It sucks.
He's not blaming football, he's blaming football scholarships, which is exactly what you are saying. As noted Title 9 requires that the total scholarship $$ for men/women be roughly equal. Your proposal for non-revenue sports equally splitting wouldn't fit the bill.

And yes, Outside is correct when he states "Title IX has nothing to do with how much scholarship money is available for male sports." The reason there is little $$ left for soccer and other small sports for men, is because all (most of) the men's $ is given to the big sport players.

Colleges choose to give a lot of scholarship $$ for revenue generating sports (as it keeps the $$ machine working), but they don't have to under Title 9.

He's not blaming football, he's blaming football scholarships, which is exactly what you are saying.
Uhh OK you lost me. Not sure what you’re getting at. Outside is blaming football/football scholarships, I’m saying it’s obviously Title 9 as the reason why men’s college sports outside of football and basketball get so little funding. I’m incredulous people are even disputing this.

As noted Title 9 requires that the total scholarship $$ for men/women be roughly equal. Your proposal for non-revenue sports equally splitting wouldn't fit the bill.
Yes, I know that. Title 9 essentially mandates that the finite amount of money available to non-revenue sports be given mainly to women’s sports, which is starving men’s sports outside of football and b-ball. Hence the logical conclusion Title 9 has promoted women’s sports at the expense of mens non-revenue sports.

And yes, Outside is correct when he states "Title IX has nothing to do with how much scholarship money is available for male sports." The reason there is little $$ left for soccer and other small sports for men, is because all (most of) the men's $ is given to the big sport players.

Colleges choose to give a lot of scholarship $$ for revenue generating sports (as it keeps the $$ machine working), but they don't have to under Title 9.

Huh? Explain to me how it makes sense to starve the golden goose to feed any non-revenue sport, men of women. It’s crazy how you guys are reaching to absolve Title 9 for its role in decimating men’s college sports outside of football and b-ball.

It’s not that hard. It’s a zero-sum game with regard to the football and b-ball money provided to non-revenue sports. The more dollars given to women’s sports, as mandated by Title 9, the less dollars for the smaller men’s sports. I’m pretty sure without Title 9 that’s not how money would be allocated. So it’s logical to say Title 9 is the reason smaller men’s sports are financially hurting at college level.

Your attempt to absolve Title 9 by suggesting colleges not fund men’s football and basketball to fund smaller men’s sports is not even a solution, it’s financially undoable.

Back