Is USSDA working after 10 yrs?

younothat

PREMIER
After 10 years, is U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy working?

Experts are split on whether the DA is truly changing the youth soccer landscape.
Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...velopment-academy-working#ptEi4UGy1BK9vKry.99

For all the strides it has made, the Academy has not yet won over all its critics, many of whom complain about inflexibility, imbalance, travel and top-down organization. It’s a fair time to ask: Is the DA working?

I think, they should change the name from US Soccer Development Academy to "We just Want to Win academy. Because US Soccer Development Academy is all about Winning Winning Winning.

I think, they should change the name from US Soccer Development Academy to "We just Want to Win academy. Because US Soccer Development Academy is all about Winning Winning Winning.

Not sure how this statement helps anyone, can you further explain your post?

The first few years they acted like US Soccer Recruiting Academy.

Not sure how this statement helps anyone, can you further explain your post?
Maybe I can help.
USSDA doesn't reward clubs who develop. Way too many clubs involved to keep track of player development.
If you win you get to play other clubs who win, vs very likely pseudo-academies, who don't belong anywhere near the word development. Add this to the fact that most academies are pay to play clubs who somehow got awarded the money maker logo. And more wins means more money.
If your boy isn't big and fast he will have a very difficult time as his academy years go by. No matter how good your team is in terms of real soccer talent, playing against big long-ball boys will be a flip of a coin.
What's left is not development, but soccer you'll see at any MLS game or USA vs Martinique.

Maybe I can help.
USSDA doesn't reward clubs who develop. Way too many clubs involved to keep track of player development.
If you win you get to play other clubs who win, vs very likely pseudo-academies, who don't belong anywhere near the word development. Add this to the fact that most academies are pay to play clubs who somehow got awarded the money maker logo. And more wins means more money.
If your boy isn't big and fast he will have a very difficult time as his academy years go by. No matter how good your team is in terms of real soccer talent, playing against big long-ball boys will be a flip of a coin.
What's left is not development, but soccer you'll see at any MLS game or USA vs Martinique.

I get your point, but playing in the MIC tournament last April, it was clear that organizations like Barcelona and Real Madrid were producing teams that were there to win and it wasn't teams of giants. Isn't the ultimate measure of development, wins?

Soccer in the US plays with all the athletes who chose not to play Football / Baseball / Basketball. If soccer can figure out a way to attract our best athletes, we will start to win intl. competitions. It feels to me like we're slowly moving in that direction.

Maybe I can help.

LAG vs Sounders game last night prefect example. Your post intrigued me so I watched.

LAG vs Sounders game last night prefect example. Your post intrigued me so I watched.

Some great player's no doubt but they way the Galaxy coach keep his attacking players in when they where almost all cramping, limping, and could hardly even run was concerning to me. What's going on with conditioning? Are they over playing and training and why no sub for some fresh legs? Haven't seen that many players laying on ground so much since like U10.

My son has suffered additional injury and had to be carried off the field after coaches just won't sub for him during da games, even through he basically sat down and pleaded for subbing coaches left him in. I hope the Galaxy players are ok, missing months to recover, going through PT just to win a youth game is not worth it IMO.

To be honest, USSF is looking for an identity in how to develop players and in all fairness we havent found that identity yet..getting closer but not there yet.

We have too many options, we have a clutter of playing options and were not getting the right mindset when developing players.

Our ideologies and beliefs arent one, we have a ton of conflicting ideas that are not allowing us to look at what our goal really is.

I agree with the post that we have players that are just long ball and physical, demographically caucasians are winning at the youth levels, physically their just better. But when it comes to the ball movement the foreign immigrant status are doing a better job. Were Similar to the British. Soccer iq needs to develop not ATHLETES, we are way ahead in terms of physical preparedness, we just dont have the brains yet. We have raw ability, we need to convert it into something. So are we gonna actually address mental development more or are we gonna think about how strong physically were gonna get. Lets keep in mind conditioning and strength training arent the same thing. Take a look at Modric of madrid vs bradley of toronto, who wins physically? Bradley from the looks of it, but modric brain and ability would still beat him physically. Its about bridging that gap.

So is DA training developing world class talent...no, its not. Its just a serious and rigorous environment that will aid a player with natural talent even more. We cant expect all players to be mentally similar, not all will go through same path, not all will be professional level. Some things you cant rush or buy.

I also believe that the labeling were doing with DA, flight 1 bla bla bla doesnt help, we need to organize under 1 umbrella, its ridiculous that we have youth traveling the country for games when in our own backyard we have so many teams and players.

For Socal, lets merge coast league with scdsl and have best teams from scdsl and coast go at it along with DA teams, thats how good development will take place, have the relegation in place for the youth levels. So theres an incentive both ways. And if Usssf wants to revolutionize youth development, have scouts and coaches for a state team, best 23 players from state in each category like odp but better, have them compete against other state teams. All structured and simple.

A calendar needs to be put in place also, a 2 season setup like Spring/early summer and a fall season that are equally strong would be best. In between you could have a state cup and national cup in the summer, avoid money grab tournaments in deserts *cough cough* norco*, which doesnt help develop players..

If DA wants to not be apart of the regular youth setup then let them be, having professional backing is great but doesnt make sense to have a slammers DA with a galaxy DA, the professional youth clubs should be playing against the professional youth clubs, La vs Dal, this would be the alternate to having the state team as i mentioned, just scratch state team thing i said ahah. Professional vs professional, non professional vs non professional, however id like to see Galaxy takin part in a major tournament like state cup pitted against best teams. Just my 2 cents

The travel is out of control and will burn kids out of soccer. My kid doesn't want to do DA anymore because of the travel.

The travel is out of control and will burn kids out of soccer. My kid doesn't want to do DA anymore because of the travel.

Close to a thousand dollars for a weekend of travel to play Portland, Vancouver, Seattle. There are at least 3-4 road trips for U15 and beyond, so while some kids love traveling like mine gets pricey quickly. Not sure how some are going to afford that since most players have to pay their Own travel expenses.

Close to a thousand dollars for a weekend of travel to play Portland, Vancouver, Seattle. There are at least 3-4 road trips for U15 and beyond, so while some kids love traveling like mine gets pricey quickly. Not sure how some are going to afford that since most players have to pay their Own travel expenses.

WOW! For a SOCAL region? It's not the same for girls

WOW! For a SOCAL region? It's not the same for girls

Yes the socal teams are in the Southwest and they play home & away vs Northwest teams at U15, U16/17, U18/19 during regular season.

There is also 3 showcases or two + playoffs this year for boys and only one is going to be local at stub hub training center, so two more road trips $$, one to Indiana, other elsewhere.

Reaching the Pinnacle of a sport and traveling to play other Elite teams sounds like a benefit, not a disadvantage.

The kid should only play for an academy team that pays those expenses, for sure.

The kid should only play for an academy team that pays those expenses, for sure.

There won't be enough teams to play if that's is case at U15+.

USSDA has travel scholarship funds for players below certain income thresholds but a players club only get a fraction of what the actual total costs are. The average I heard is around 1k per player in travel fund scholarship awards.

There are very few academy teams that fully pay for players travel expenses; other than the MLS ones I can't recall which ones in Socal do that? Fundraising and other things can help supplement.

Academy is very expensive, I've see some of the financials, not uncommon to see 3 to 4 four thousand $outlays a year on just travel per player once you reach U15.

There won't be enough teams to play if that's is case at U15+.

USSDA has travel scholarship funds for players below certain income thresholds but a players club only get a fraction of what the actual total costs are. The average I heard is around 1k per player in travel fund scholarship awards.

There are very few academy teams that fully pay for players travel expenses; other than the MLS ones I can't recall which ones in Socal do that? Fundraising and other things can help supplement.

Academy is very expensive, I've see some of the financials, not uncommon to see 3 to 4 four thousand $outlays a year on just travel per player once you reach U15.
Then us soccer should fund

Back