Is this really what it’s like?

Just read this article and was wondering if this is really what it’s like going through the process and seeking/negotiating offers...?

https://www.chronicle.com/article/T...BuN4PfLp17C-qGJOK_X4mdfHqFMftHJpILNSdJBEpt5e0

I think it's a little different for swimming, because as an athlete, for the most part, you have a completely objective method of determining where you stand against the other recruits (times). I can't really speak to the process of negotiating offers because things are much different now with the new rules but I can say that the number of scholarships for women's soccer is the same as swimming so many scholarships are partial.

Article seems pretty close to our actual experience. Except the various coaches were more upfront with their financial offers. Once my dd made her choice but before she gave her verbal offer we had a conference call with the coaches at her school of choice and negotiated with them. That was a key step in the process. They did end up increasing their offer from good to great. So don't skip this step.

Just read this article and was wondering if this is really what it’s like going through the process and seeking/negotiating offers...?

https://www.chronicle.com/article/T...BuN4PfLp17C-qGJOK_X4mdfHqFMftHJpILNSdJBEpt5e0

In the midst of a discussion on bigsoccer.com over a year ago about the comings and goings of college coaches, I posted this outline of our recruiting adventure --

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/th...should-be-thread.2078130/page-4#post-36176398

Primarily interested D1 schools but curious about D2 & D3...

My older son was recruited to play at a D2 school. D2 rules are a little different, so he was invited to the campus to participate in a tryout day. That was during his first year at a community college, where he had decided not to play on the college team but instead stay with his club team then playing in Presidio at BU19 level. His coach recommended him to the D2 school coach. After what amounted to a semi-official visit (he worked out with the team and stayed with team members overnight, but gave us nothing for travel expenses), he was offered a roster spot and guaranteed admission, but no first-year athletic scholarship money.

Eventually, the whole thing fell apart after the coach and the two players on the team that were my son's friends and former club teammates left the school for various reasons, so he decided not to go there.

In the midst of a discussion on bigsoccer.com over a year ago about the comings and goings of college coaches, I posted this outline of our recruiting adventure --

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/th...should-be-thread.2078130/page-4#post-36176398

Interesting, I can see how it’d be important to keep the relationships going due to what seems like fairly high turnover in coaches and staff. Anything can happen.

That said, if something like that happens, say a coach leaves, new coach wants to go in a different direction, do they take away entry into the school or just the $$?

Interesting, I can see how it’d be important to keep the relationships going due to what seems like fairly high turnover in coaches and staff. Anything can happen.

That said, if something like that happens, say a coach leaves, new coach wants to go in a different direction, do they take away entry into the school or just the $$?

Every situation is unique.

Pick the school, not the coach and definitely not the soccer!!

Agreed - but I guess that's what I'm asking. if that's the school you want to attend, but coach changes mind, gets fired, whatever, can you still attend or would you be likely to lose admission and/or be forced to go through the standard admissions process?

For example - DD gets a verbal offer from her #1 choice with money. She would want to go to this school regardless but getting to play and the $$ is icing on the cake. Partway through junior year, coach leaves/gets fired, whatever. New coach wants to build team his way and DD isn't what he's looking for. I can imagine he'll rescind the $, but is he likely to still make the request for her to be admitted to the school if she still wants to attend or is she totally screwed?

Agreed - but I guess that's what I'm asking. if that's the school you want to attend, but coach changes mind, gets fired, whatever, can you still attend or would you be likely to lose admission and/or be forced to go through the standard admissions process?

For example - DD gets a verbal offer from her #1 choice with money. She would want to go to this school regardless but getting to play and the $$ is icing on the cake. Partway through junior year, coach leaves/gets fired, whatever. New coach wants to build team his way and DD isn't what he's looking for. I can imagine he'll rescind the $, but is he likely to still make the request for her to be admitted to the school if she still wants to attend or is she totally screwed?

It depends upon the school and the coach. I know that in the PAC 12 and Big Ten the scholarships are 4 year deals that cannot be canceled by a new coach. Those are clearly the two most student-centric conferences.

Good luck to you and your player.

2bfjbr.jpg

Primarily interested D1 schools but curious about D2 & D3...

Good idea to look into because if your player is going with the theory of school first, soccer program 2nd. D2’s & 3’s are legit......Johns Hopkins, Cal Tech, Pomona Colleges and MIT and many others. Those programs froth at the mouth over getting SoCal players.

Good idea to look into because if your player is going with the theory of school first, soccer program 2nd. D2’s & 3’s are legit......Johns Hopkins, Cal Tech, Pomona Colleges and MIT and many others. Those programs froth at the mouth over getting SoCal players.

Definitely a lot to think about... certainly some good schools in there... will have to check out their programs! while soccer is secondary to academics, it’s still very important to her and wants to play at the highest level as possible... will just have to see where this lands...

Definitely a lot to think about... certainly some good schools in there... will have to check out their programs! while soccer is secondary to academics, it’s still very important to her and wants to play at the highest level as possible... will just have to see where this lands...
My daughter had some great conversations with Yon Struble at D3 Carnegie Mellon before deciding to continue her education at NC State. He seemed like a high quality person, and CMU provides a very high level experience in the classroom and on the pitch. Now with Chris Moraga (from Whittier College) as the full-time assistant, they continue to have an outstanding program. And their Engineering School and CIS departments are tops in the country.

Agree but with a caveat. The student athlete has to have "most" of what their general student population credentials too.

In other words, schools like MIT and CalTech require the player to be essentially admitted without the sports. Since they both are D3, there is no athletic money and in the case of MIT, the only offset is needs based. As for Caltech, they admit roughly 300 students (incoming freshman) a year so what you'll find is that the large percentage of their students are also athletes (true for MIT also).

Schools like Johns Hopkins, are not as well off as MITs of the world in terms of endowments and their threshold for tuition offset vs income is much lower. At most Ivy's, the offset can be seen til about $240k/yr for household but for JH, CMUs of the world, that equivalent number is around $100k/yr, the last time I was talking to one of the parents of JH student (they paid full fare $65k/yr).

The equation is not just D1 vs D2/3/NAIA, or sports 1st vs academic 1st; rather, its both of those things AND family affordability for not having scholarship options, depending on the school chosen. Ivy's have neither athletic or academic scholarships - only needs based and they are D1, whereas Stanford has all three components.

....... while soccer is secondary to academics, it’s still very important to her and wants to play at the highest level as possible...

Keep in mind that at D1/2 schools, there are in-season and off-season programs that occupies fairly large chunk of their time. While the hours spent officially are regulated by NCAA and in some leagues, there are more stringent league limits than NCAA for off-season rules, there are plenty of non-official and voluntary activities that student athletes are faced with.

The nice thing about D3 schools is that their offseason program is all voluntary (because NCAA doesn't allow them, I think...) and students are allowed to be students at least the half of the academic year. The time away from organized practices and training are very valuable part of the students maturity process and academic progress, including participating in other commitments (e.g., coop projects with companies, in-term internships and so on).

I think perspective is extremely important for parents of student athletes. Just as when our kids were U8 and we focused on development and raising our kids. My belief is that, at least through undergrad, we help our kids not lose sight of what's really important in life, say 10 years from now. If that answer happens to be a professional soccer player or coach, that's one answer. If it having a professional career in a chosen field of study that you're attending the school for, then its another answer. Its only human nature to react to what seems most important now with little to no regards towards the big picture, especially when we're young. But ymmv!

Keep in mind that at D1/2 schools, there are in-season and off-season programs that occupies fairly large chunk of their time. While the hours spent officially are regulated by NCAA and in some leagues, there are more stringent league limits than NCAA for off-season rules, there are plenty of non-official and voluntary activities that student athletes are faced with.

The nice thing about D3 schools is that their offseason program is all voluntary (because NCAA doesn't allow them, I think...) and students are allowed to be students at least the half of the academic year. The time away from organized practices and training are very valuable part of the students maturity process and academic progress, including participating in other commitments (e.g., coop projects with companies, in-term internships and so on).

I think perspective is extremely important for parents of student athletes. Just as when our kids were U8 and we focused on development and raising our kids. My belief is that, at least through undergrad, we help our kids not lose sight of what's really important in life, say 10 years from now. If that answer happens to be a professional soccer player or coach, that's one answer. If it having a professional career in a chosen field of study that you're attending the school for, then its another answer. Its only human nature to react to what seems most important now with little to no regards towards the big picture, especially when we're young. But ymmv!

Really great point you bring up... are summer work/career related internships possible while playing for a D1 school given training schedules?

Back