Is this in the future for the GDA?

I like this guy :)

To the U.S. Soccer Federation . . . In Anger Sept 7, 2019
by Paul Gardner
My congratulations to the United States Soccer Federation. The ignorance, the arrogance, the bias, the total lack of awareness, the smugness, to say nothing of the abysmal failure to do what it is supposed to do, are now revealed as way beyond anything that I believed possible.
The facts in Mike Woitalla’s article expose what is going on in Chicago. Those facts tell of an anti-Hispanic bias of extreme ugliness, something that everyone who is in any way associated with the Federation must be deeply ashamed of.

Briefly: last October U.S. Soccer, under its new President Carlos Cordeiro, announced the formation of a Task Force to look into youth soccer. Nine original members were announced; during the months that followed more members were appointed. Today the total number of members is 59. Not one of them, not a single one of them, is a Latino male.

Advertisement

We could say that this phantom president Cordeiro qualifies in that category. Not for me he doesn’t. Cordeiro might as well be from Borneo for all his attention to the Hispanic issue.

So how is it possible for this nationwide organization to go searching for experts involved in youth soccer ... and to fail to recruit even one Latino?

The mere fact that such an outrageous thing can happen simply beggars belief. There is massive involvement of young Hispanics in youth soccer. How could the Federation experts miss that point?

Miss it they did. Or did they? I do not believe that they “missed” it. I believe that they know about it. Which means that they either are not interested in it, or that they do not believe it to be of any importance, or that they actively oppose it.

Those are increasingly ugly explanations. After at least a couple of decades of trying to promote the vital importance of the -- growing -- Hispanic contribution to the growth of American soccer, I can only say that what was left of the various illusions I may have entertained along the way have now been brutally stripped away.

The stats revealed by Woitalla are not only unacceptable, they are utterly disgraceful, a dark stain on the Federation, which is exposed as totally incapable of doing its job. There are no excuses that can be offered that will dilute this blemish, this revelation that we have a Federation that is actively discriminating against American Hispanics, that is deliberately keeping them out of influential appointments.

These Federation experts must already know what Woitalla mentions: that nearly 40 percent of the boys involved in the various Federation national teams from U-14 to U-20 are Latinos. And how many Hispanic coaches does U.S. Soccer employ? One. The estimable Tab Ramos. When the U-17 job became available recently, it went to an obscure Swiss, with no particularly obvious suitability for the job.

The Federation could, of course, regret that no American-Hispanic coaches were to be found. That may even be true -- but the reason is clear: because the Federation does nothing to promote them.

In the face of this damning evidence, not only of incompetence, but of active discrimination, the leaders of this crippled Federation could do all of us, and the sport in the USA, a huge favor by resigning to make way for people who know the ground-level facts of the Hispanic contribution to youth soccer.

The Federation needn’t bother trying to explain how its experts managed assemble that 60-member Task Force on youth soccer without considering any Hispanics. Something that is just not possible without a hefty dose of bias in the selection process. The absence of Latino coaches in the Federation is further confirmation that an evil spirit of anti-Hispanic discrimination pervades the corridors in Chicago.

Of course, there has been plenty of guff from the Federation over the years about diversity. The Task Force even includes a “Diversity” sub-group. We know, now, with absolute certainty, that nothing worthwhile can be expected from them.

During the years that I have been complaining about the sort of bias that Woitalla has now so tellingly exposed, there have been a number of aspects that I have considered but never written about. For instance: should the Hispanic soccer community, so obviously being slighted, break away to form its own Federacion ? But that has always seemed too drastic a step.

Now, I’m not so sure. The depth of the discrimination that Latinos face is now revealed by this worthless -- worse, biased and therefore damaging -- youth Task Force. Something else I have touched on only briefly before, is the lack of initiative shown by the Hispanic soccer community itself.

This is a squalid story. Inevitably, plenty of honorable and good people are embroiled in it. But every one of these Task Force members ought to know the truth about the burgeoning importance of young Hispanic players. They are, after all, presumably experts? Every one of them ought to be surveying their colleagues ... and asking themselves “Why are there no Hispanics?” But that is evidently a questioning attitude that doesn’t exist at the Federation.

Make no mistake. This is a sick Federation. There is no way that it can explain away the discrimination that the composition of the Task Force reveals. This is not a small committee -- this is a nationwide assembly of some 60 youth soccer experts. And it is an absolute disgrace. A slap in the face, a slamming of the door, a blatant exhibition of disrespect toward Hispanic soccer players -- indeed, toward the whole Hispanic community.

I have been covering soccer throughout the world for over 50 years, paying particular attention to youth soccer. To say I am disappointed with U.S. Soccer’s attitude does not begin to describe my feelings. I am totally disgusted. This imbroglio of the Youth Task Force is so much more than an embarrassment. It is by far the nastiest example of calculated ignorance and arrogance that I have encountered in the sport.

To the U.S. Soccer Federation ... shame on you!

I nominate MAP to be Cali's rep. We need a smart cat. I know MAP is no fan of this Organization either. Wake up folks!!!!

I'm not a fan of forced diversity, but c'mon now, how can you not have Hispanics on a youth soccer task force? The majority of players that my son plays with, and against, in DA are Hispanic. Hispanic's are a cornerstone of SoCal soccer.

For what its worth, I think many of the Mexican players my son has played with would choose the Mexican National Team over the US. I'm pretty certain most would rather play for a Liga MX team than a MLS team. Maybe US Soccer's attitude has a little to do with that, although I suspect it has more to do with culture and playing for a better team!

I'm not a fan of forced diversity, but c'mon now, how can you not have Hispanics on a youth soccer task force? The majority of players that my son plays with, and against, in DA are Hispanic. Hispanic's are a cornerstone of SoCal soccer.

For what its worth, I think many of the Mexican players my son has played with would choose the Mexican National Team over the US. I'm pretty certain most would rather play for a Liga MX team than a MLS team. Maybe US Soccer's attitude has a little to do with that, although I suspect it has more to do with culture and playing for a better team!
US Soccer Federation is a joke. Too much influence from the "white" Euro model and coaches. No Mexican coaches, really??? After our ass kicking last night someone needs to turn the tables and get fresh eyes on this mess. Don't get me started with the girls. Seriously, what a complete joke. Advice for all: Look for the following three areas in any organization, club (could be hard) or most importantly, a coach: Ethical, Honest and Competent. If you have all three right now, you're a winner regardless of the team your on. Look at those at the top at some of these Big Clubs. Do these folks hold to these standards? I know it's wishful thinking for some, but it's out there and with kids involved we should demand it :)

Only a joke when it doesn’t work in your favor!
Ya, not me personally, but yes my dd, 1/3 of the country for the girls and now the Mexicans and most Latinos who chose HS Soccer in Texas. Read the stuff at SoccerAmerica. It's all there. I don't get my news at soccernation or the SoCal Soccer Forum or club coaches who lie brah. I know what you favor Kicker. Debate is real good in this country. Let's do it :)

Ya, not me personally, but yes my dd, 1/3 of the country for the girls and now the Mexicans and most Latinos who chose HS Soccer in Texas. Read the stuff at SoccerAmerica. It's all there. I don't get my news at soccernation or the SoCal Soccer Forum or club coaches who lie brah. I know what you favor Kicker. Debate is real good in this country. Let's do it :)
Full disclosure, my wife dad is from Guatemala and her mom is Mexican. I'm white and this smells like CACA brah for many folks. I know it smells swell over in the South Bay but not in other parts of the USA!!!

You act like you really know 1/3 of the country. You only know coaches who sell you..you only know what you know...so stick to that. Do pretend to know more cause you don’t. Period!!!’

Only a joke when it doesn’t work in your favor!
and to be honest as I always try to do Kicker, the last thing I want or my dd is some freaking FAVORS. I've seen enough flavors of that the last two years. Favors is the problem, don't you see that?

You act like you really know 1/3 of the country. You only know coaches who sell you..you only know what you know...so stick to that. Do pretend to know more cause you don’t. Period!!!’
and you do? Don't read anymore of my "fake news." I'm learning more everyday and one thing is for sure, I'm not alone.

Full disclosure, my wife dad is from Guatemala and her mom is Mexican. I'm white and this smells like CACA brah for many folks. I know it smells swell over in the South Bay but not in other parts of the USA!!!
Full disclosure, you bought everything you were sold! Period....I’ve sat back and watched you discredit a league you tried to get your DD in. Don’t try to hide...you PM’d me bitching that they wouldn’t let your DD Guest play in the DA playoffs they you want to call it a “soft League”. Dude you would buy a ketchup popsicle while wearing white gloves in Arizona.

You have NO idea what the rest of the USA deals with day in day out. Have you lived in any other state in the contiguous USA? I have...so I feel far more prepared for this discussion. What’s you real point? You bragged to me how “recruited your DD was. Now want to cry foul about how you were lied to. That may be the case.....but don’t discredit the work the young ladies who didn’t chase free play, who were overlooked by ODP, who worked their asses off because they believed they deserved more.

You consistently cry foul and in doing so disrespect those who put their time in.

I have love for your DD..she is a baller...and deserves recognition. But I have to sand up for those you discredit whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Full disclosure, you bought everything you were sold! Period....I’ve sat back and watched you discredit a league you tried to get your DD in. Don’t try to hide...you PM’d me bitching that they wouldn’t let your DD Guest play in the DA playoffs they you want to call it a “soft League”. Dude you would buy a ketchup popsicle while wearing white gloves in Arizona.

You have NO idea what the rest of the USA deals with day in day out. Have you lived in any other state in the contiguous USA? I have...so I feel far more prepared for this discussion. What’s you real point? You bragged to me how “recruited your DD was. Now want to cry foul about how you were lied to. That may be the case.....but don’t discredit the work the young ladies who didn’t chase free play, who were overlooked by ODP, who worked their asses off because they believed they deserved more.

You consistently cry foul and in doing so disrespect those who put their time in.

I have love for your DD..she is a baller...and deserves recognition. But I have to sand up for those you discredit whether intentionally or unintentionally.
Thanks for sharing PM with the group. Actually, please share with the group the actual context of my question Kicker. Can you? Will you? It's out now. I have it too. I might have to do that now. I was just asking a question bro and I got your answer and what you favor since I got on here a month a go. Seriously Kicker, out me like that in front of the group about PM? Wow!!! Lastly, hell ya my dd is baller!!!

I discredit one group brah, US Soccer Federation. You can stand behind that flavor all day. I never will until I see change and it has zero to do with my dd getting bumped off a list a few years ago. Big deal, right?

Sold by who Kicker? Who were the sales people? I admitted openly on here I was duped and drank koolaid poured by a group of liars. Tell me where I'm wrong bro? Attention all forum users: Warning to everyone, do not PM anyone on here. The last guy I thought would pull a stunt like that was Kicker. Wow!!!

Sold by who Kicker? Who were the sales people? I admitted openly on here I was duped and drank koolaid poured by a group of liars. Tell me where I'm wrong bro? Attention all forum users: Warning to everyone, do not PM anyone on here. The last guy I thought would pull a stunt like that was Kicker. Wow!!!
You’ve answered all your own questions. You don’t need me....

Plus, who wouldn't let my dd play in the playoffs? At least get the PM right dude. I said my dd said no to the playoff because she didn't want to be a rent a player for LD. She decided to go "all in ECNL." I will NEVER respond to anything you say because you r a liar too. Unless you want to go back and re read what I said and say sorry to me, no more responses to you Kicker. Sorry, have to do it.

Plus, who wouldn't let my dd play in the playoffs? At least get the PM right dude. I said my dd said no to the playoff because she didn't want to be a rent a player for LD. She decided to go "all in ECNL." I will NEVER respond to anything you say because you r a liar too. Unless you want to go back and re read what I said and say sorry to me, no more responses to you Kicker. Sorry, have to do it.
You and your “soft league” comments can ruminate. It isn’t about who wouldn’t want her. It’s about our own hypocrisy’s.

Pissed she couldn’t play in the league ...then try to call that same league “soft”. You’ve become Antonio Brown calling himself a “victim”.

Last one, I swear. I feel like Mars now. When you PM me to see if my dd was eligible for playoffs and said things like, "how is your dd enjoying DPL, I thought you were joking. I see now you were not. Hahahahahahah, classic. She transferred to LD from Anber. Was never a DPL player. Please........My wife and I are busting up, seriously. We have wine. Enjoy the season pal :)

GOAT dads tend to have some disagreements and debates which makes the forum fun. Please try and share the truth though when you out someone's PM to someone. That should be rule #1.

Last one, I swear. I feel like Mars now. When you PM me to see if my dd was eligible for playoffs and said things like, "how is your dd enjoying DPL, I thought you were joking. I see now you were not. Hahahahahahah, classic. She transferred to LD from Anber. Was never a DPL player. Please........My wife and I are busting up, seriously. We have wine. Enjoy the season pal :)
You truly have lost it. I NEVER asked you how your DD was enjoying DPL. I knew she was playing ‘03 ECNL. You want me to post the PM’s. You’ve lost it!!!! Wtf

Back