Is soccer participation slowing down?

My kids are 2010 and 2012 in South OC public school. In 7th grade (~500 students public school, only 3 girls and 4 boys play club soccer (nobody play AYSO), Nobody play club basketball, 2 play football, about 30 play baseball, volleyball, unsure rec or club.
More than half do not have activities outside school and we are in south OC relatively better than average household income.
In 5th grade (~200 students elementary school), 2 play club soccer, 1 club basketball, about 20 play baseball, football - mostly rec.

I thought it was always like this before. are you saying almost 80% at least youth sports rec participation only 3 years ago?

At my kids soccer club team, 60% go to private schools.

maybe combination of cost and interests?
Also based on my discussion with other parents, most of them get smarter now, the ones with limited financials realize that sports is not the path to college/career, they spend more on math/english tutoring.
only the wealthy can still play sports as a hobby.
I think it's a reflection of society.

In the 80s and 90s if you were black or brown sports was your best shot of getting into a good college.

Now if you're black or brown having decent grades can get you into almost any college.

Ironically the white kids have to be super amazing in school + do club soccer + participate in charities + be some other kind of stand out + it doesnt hurt of parents can make a donation or know a legacy.

This is why they're all going to private schools + pay to play soccer. Parents want to ensure they get good grades + be a star on the team all to guarantee getting into college.

My kids are 2010 and 2012 in South OC public school. In 7th grade (~500 students public school, only 3 girls and 4 boys play club soccer (nobody play AYSO), Nobody play club basketball, 2 play football, about 30 play baseball, volleyball, unsure rec or club.
More than half do not have activities outside school and we are in south OC relatively better than average household income.
In 5th grade (~200 students elementary school), 2 play club soccer, 1 club basketball, about 20 play baseball, football - mostly rec.

I thought it was always like this before. are you saying almost 80% at least youth sports rec participation only 3 years ago?

Also based on my discussion with other parents, most of them get smarter now, the ones with limited financials realize that sports is not the path to college/career, they spend more on math/english tutoring.
Crazy times. Sport should be fun, local and affordable. I loved playing all sports when I was a kid. I used to watch Rockford Files on Friday nights and then dream about my early morning soccer match on Saturdays. Then basketball season would be next and then I finished the Spring with Baseball. Most of the kids at our schools would wear their uniform shirts and we would all brag and talk smack. It was so fun. Summer would come around and we would have a break and go to the beach, surf, play volleyball and go spear fishing. I think most boys are playing sports in their room with Xbox. I saw this coming. I had to beg my son to play baseball and hoops. That stupid video game messed up his brain because he won all the time and made just about every shot in these fake games they play online. Kids are obese now. This is not good, moo!

I think it's a reflection of society.

In the 80s and 90s if you were black or brown sports was your best shot of getting into a good college.

Now if you're black or brown having decent grades can get you into almost any college.

Ironically the white kids have to be super amazing in school + do club soccer + participate in charities + be some other kind of stand out + it doesnt hurt of parents can make a donation or know a legacy.

This is why they're all going to private schools + pay to play soccer. Parents want to ensure they get good grades + be a star on the team all to guarantee getting into college.

Good observation. I agree mostly. Only I think financial status drives the behavior more than skin color.
Private school students are a lot more diverse nowadays and white kids from low household income do not participate in sports either.

Good observation. I agree mostly. Only I think financial status drives the behavior more than skin color.
Private school students are a lot more diverse nowadays and white kids from low household income do not participate in sports either.

Part of the diversity in private high and middle schools comes from sports itself. Those schools can offer athletic scholarships in the form of financial aid, while public schools cannot. The shenanigans surrounding high school football put anything we are dealing with in club soccer to shame. Sports are increasingly being divided between the elite specialized athletes, and everyone else who drops out because they cannot compete athletically, timewise or financially.

Privilege has no color. Money has no color except green.

Youngest will be a junior college player in a few months, LA county public schools all the way. Bunch of his club mates from public religious schools

@ his elementary school with ~ 400 total K-5 students ~ 30% of the kids played organized sports so 125+ kids.

Soccer a distant 3-4th compared to baseball & basketball but beating out football (flag+tackle)

Back