Is Soccer Displacing Football in the US

According to NCCA research, this is reality,

Soccer is not close to football, 6th sport behind the others for boys

View attachment 585
Unothat thanks for the stats...my main point was that the NFL is shrinking the product in the bag and to me becoming almost unwatchble...in contrast, College football, the NBA and baseball do not serve up broadcasts that are as watered down with commercials as the NFL...I am a football fan but a frustrated consumer of the NFL and how they are humping the fans...according to the NY Post, NFL TV ratings are in and they show an 8% decline for the season...http://nypost.com/2017/01/23/nfl-tv-viewership-fumbles-for-the-first-time-in-4-years/

Second, by your stats I think soccer is #5 and, most importantly, soccer has the fastest growth rate of the Big 5...also worth noting is that football participation is declining...football has negative growth rate among our youth...

What is the source of that data? I'd like to look at it in more detail.
Do they break it down by age groups at all?
By regions or states?
Do they look at multi-sport athletes?
Competitive or recreational? (IE - skiing and rifle. I'm sure there are more than 9,000 kids who go skiing or shoot rifles. Is this only for kids that compete?)
Why are track and field indoor and outdoor separate? Big jump for indoor.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research

As far as I know no to all the questions. People I know involved in Indoor track are the full time dedicated year round types, outdoor is more seasonal and there is a lot more colleges that offer those programs.

Unothat thanks for the stats...my main point was that the NFL is shrinking the product in the bag and to me becoming almost unwatchble...in contrast, College football, the NBA and baseball do not serve up broadcasts that are as watered down with commercials as the NFL...I am a football fan but a frustrated consumer of the NFL and how they are humping the fans...according to the NY Post, NFL TV ratings are in and they show an 8% decline for the season...http://nypost.com/2017/01/23/nfl-tv-viewership-fumbles-for-the-first-time-in-4-years/

Second, by your stats I think soccer is #5 and, most importantly, soccer has the fastest growth rate of the Big 5...also worth noting is that football participation is declining...football has negative growth rate among our youth...

Yes, I was thinking of MMA is being more popular vs Soccer now and didn't state that clearly or correctly in my first post.

Yes I agree with you for the most part, NFL with all the commercials is slowing down the game.

I took my son to his first pro game this season and he was amazed that each play took so long, takes some of the fun away with the fast action plays he is used to when he plays.

Americans seem to have a preference for loud action sports with some scoring and violence mixed in. Hockey has more scoring vs Soccer for example, faster and has some violence so tends to be a more exciting spectacular sport with more people intrested in watching. Not as many people play ice hockey due to the $, time and skills, facilities available but street hockey is gaining popularity,

Yes, I was thinking of MMA is being more popular vs Soccer now and didn't state that clearly or correctly in my first post.

Yes I agree with you for the most part, NFL with all the commercials is slowing down the game.

I took my son to his first pro game this season and he was amazed that each play took so long, takes some of the fun away with the fast action plays he is used to when he plays.

Americans seem to have a preference for loud action sports with some scoring and violence mixed in. Hockey has more scoring vs Soccer for example, faster and has some violence so tends to be a more exciting spectacular sport with more people intrested in watching. Not as many people play ice hockey due to the $, time and skills, facilities available but street hockey is gaining popularity,
UNT I agree hockey is a thrilling game to watch...especially live and up close...how guys can fight, skate, and keep control of the puck all while going backwards at 30mph...it's awe inspiring...

Imagine this, if each goal was worth 7 points instead of 1, scores would be, 14-7, 7-0, 21-7 or 21-14! There you go higher scores and let's say there are 5 goals to 3, which some times happens, it would be 35 to 21, there is your high scoring game! It is all about how you look at the score
Dude's not wrong. We could give 6 points for a goal, and then one point for a PK taken right after a goal. On all PKs, we could give the option of setting the ball up on the 18, to make it a 2-point attempt.

According to NCCA research, this is reality,

Soccer is not close to football, 6th sport behind the others for boys

View attachment 585
Agreed; soccer is not yet close. But look at the %change statistics. Soccer is up by 6.9% in one year; American football is down by 1.2%. If this trend continues, then soccer passes up American football in about 10 years.

UNT I agree hockey is a thrilling game to watch...especially live and up close...how guys can fight, skate, and keep control of the puck all while going backwards at 30mph...it's awe inspiring...

Playing a pickup game on the river ice in college, I accidentally knocked the two front teeth out of a teammate and friend. He just smiled at me whenever we met after that.

When I went to my first live NFL game, I was puzzled by the frequent periods of quiet inactivity until I realized it was TV commercial time. It seemed really long without a TV in front of me. And the crowd got it too - they quieted down and didn't pick up the noise again until it was obvious the cameras were back live.

Agreed; soccer is not yet close. But look at the %change statistics. Soccer is up by 6.9% in one year; American football is down by 1.2%. If this trend continues, then soccer passes up American football in about 10 years.
Especially since football is losing the guts that made it great.

How many people here watched today's UEFA Champions league games? Here lies soccer's problem competing with the NFL. Big matches televised middle of the workday.......

How many people here watched today's UEFA Champions league games? Here lies soccer's problem competing with the NFL. Big matches televised middle of the workday.......
I did, and it is a great excuse to go out to lunch or take a soccer loving Customer to talk a little shop or alot of soccer. The Olde Ship in Santa Ana was busy at lunch today for the matches, even though there weren't any Premier League teams on the pitch. It will be packed tomorrow for Arse.

Reactions: HBE
Back