Is Soccer Displacing Football in the US

NFL will eventually succumb to futbol and this year Colin Kaepernick put a Big nail in the coffin....

What is futbol?

Futbol

A game played by two opposing teams, each consisting of one goalie and ten field players with the purpose of the game
to abuse the Spola or JAP into the opposing sides net. This can be done by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body
except the arms and hands to abuse the Spola or JAP into the net. The goalie is the only player who may abuse or roughly
handle a Spola or JAP with the arms or hands.

Futbol

A game played by two opposing teams, each consisting of one goalie and ten field players with the purpose of the game
to abuse the Spola or JAP into the opposing sides net. This can be done by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body
except the arms and hands to abuse the Spola or JAP into the net. The goalie is the only player who may abuse or roughly
Why don't you "explain" this in English, this being a forum whose medium of communication is English?

nononono said:
Futbol

Why don't you "explain" this in English, this being a forum whose medium of communication is English?

Your head hurt from intentional toe kicks.....?

Your head hurt from intentional toe kicks.....?
You're peeping into the wrong burrow. Again.

I'll leave you to your own devises for now, perhaps you might situate yourself. But don't let that stop you from posting more irrelevancies. Since I'm done playing with you for now, that should give you plenty of time to do so.

See you in May.

You're peeping into the wrong burrow. Again.

I'll leave you to your own devises for now, perhaps you might situate yourself. But don't let that stop you from posting more irrelevancies. Since I'm done playing with you for now, that should give you plenty of time to do so.

See you in May.

Hibernation is fitting for a rodent.....

A few of my friends have c0llege football season tickets. They, out of kindness I'm sure, feel the need to invite me to watch when by Alma Mater comes to town to play. I personally love the tailgate, but would just as soon leave thereafter, or stay outside. Watching AMerican football live is nothing less that a slow death....nothing I've been to has been more more boring (well maybe Sunday MAss lol)

We just got back from Munich and watched our first Bayern (vs Leipzig) game in the Allianz arena...as we were leaving my wife said "if we lived here we would have season tickets!" True True...so exciting, non stop action, amazing fans...7 of us went, and ALL of us though it was the highlight of the trip. It's a question of time, and my guess a lot of time...but American football is plain boring. It's fine if you are sitting with friends, with lots of activities to soak up the tedious HOURS of boredom, but its just hell live.

A few of my friends have c0llege football season tickets. They, out of kindness I'm sure, feel the need to invite me to watch when by Alma Mater comes to town to play. I personally love the tailgate, but would just as soon leave thereafter, or stay outside. Watching AMerican football live is nothing less that a slow death....nothing I've been to has been more more boring (well maybe Sunday MAss lol)

We just got back from Munich and watched our first Bayern (vs Leipzig) game in the Allianz arena...as we were leaving my wife said "if we lived here we would have season tickets!" True True...so exciting, non stop action, amazing fans...7 of us went, and ALL of us though it was the highlight of the trip. It's a question of time, and my guess a lot of time...but American football is plain boring. It's fine if you are sitting with friends, with lots of activities to soak up the tedious HOURS of boredom, but its just hell live.

That is an opinion not shared by the vast majority of Americans. I suggest that you learn the game a little more and it might be more exciting. There is no sport like football.

That is an opinion not shared by the vast majority of Americans. I suggest that you learn the game a little more and it might be more exciting. There is no sport like football.
Perhaps MAP, but most Americans don't have a choice. Doesn't it seem like every year Frito-Lay shrinks the number of chips in the bag but leaves the bag the same size? That analogy now represents American football. I tuned in this weekend mid-game and there was a kickoff play for 10 seconds followed by several commercials. Then another 7 second play and several more commercials. Then chatter from announcers, most of it inane. I am a fan of US football but feel that we fans are getting humped by the teams and networks. If soccer were shown more in the US I think more US fans would migrate over.

According to Forbes the following is true:
FACT: the average NFL game is longer than ever: 3 hours and 9 minutes.
FACT: the play time has not increased by even one minute.
FACT: in a "60 minute" game there are only 11 minutes on average of actual playing football. That is not a typo: 11 minutes of actual play. Increasingly the NFL sandwich is all bread and no meat.

Maybe its just me but it sure feels like the billion dollar teams and network behemoths are treating NFL fans like suckas...

During an average NFL game, fans are subjected to 1 full hour of commercials ! During last season's playoffs there were roughly 112 commercials per game and 130 plays so you almost watched 1 commercial for every play. College football, baseball and the NBA are not as bad as the NFL in this regard.

In contrast, soccer has 45 minutes of commercial free play per half. Also the game is only roughly 2 hours.

The NFL is fading and fast.....the previous scoffers can crack open a beer and laugh now, but they won't be when it comes true.
Futbol will replace Football and the NFL will have no one to blame but themselves.

Enjoy your laughs now......

The NFL is fading and fast.....the previous scoffers can crack open a beer and laugh now, but they won't be when it comes true.
Futbol will replace Football and the NFL will have no one to blame but themselves.

Enjoy your laughs now......

Good luck with that.

During an average NFL game, fans are subjected to 1 full hour of commercials ! During last season's playoffs there were roughly 112 commercials per game and 130 plays so you almost watched 1 commercial for every play. College football, baseball and the NBA are not as bad as the NFL in this regard.

In contrast, soccer has 45 minutes of commercial free play per half. Also the game is only roughly 2 hours.

Corporations screwing us in the US is nothing new. Look at Citizen's United. As long as a majority of the best athletes compete in the NFL it isn't going anywhere. It's a meritocracy unlike soccer in the US which is pay to play. Pay to play leads to the wealthier players getting to compete not necessarily the better players. It's not that way overseas and thus you get a better product which people watch. To change the NFL's dominance you simply have to change America's culture. Good luck with that.

All good points, but the US Soccer federation has no respect for the women's side. Did you see that piece on WNT I think on 60 minutes. They might go on strike over pay, and NWSL is struggling.
NFL is a cash cow! Hell the Commissioner made 40 Mil last year, 40 Mil! Soccer has come a long way but no way will it over take NFL anytime soon.
Soccer is not displacing the NFL in most of the country, but it may be starting to sneak in the back door.
San Diegans are ready.

According to NCCA research, this is reality,

Soccer is not close to football, 6th sport behind the others for boys

ncca research.jpg

My family is soccer fans, but not that exciting or interesting to watch for the casual fans so I doubt we will see soccer overtake any of the other (5) in my lifetime in the USA.

The sport not listed in the NCCA research that is popular now is Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) which has kind of taken over the mantel from Boxing.

Nice to see soccer gaining some participates, almost 7% growth for the boys but only 3% for the girls during the 4 year comparison.

According to NCCA research, this is reality,

Soccer is not close to football, 6th sport behind the others for boys

View attachment 585

What is the source of that data? I'd like to look at it in more detail.
Do they break it down by age groups at all?
By regions or states?
Do they look at multi-sport athletes?
Competitive or recreational? (IE - skiing and rifle. I'm sure there are more than 9,000 kids who go skiing or shoot rifles. Is this only for kids that compete?)
Why are track and field indoor and outdoor separate? Big jump for indoor.

Back