Input Needed Please!!

Goalaso

BRONZE
Hi All,

Need some help. My daughter who’s a junior in high school has decided to quit club soccer, she prefers to focus more on her studies. She wants to continue playing high school soccer cause she has so much fun with her friends.

So here’s my dillemma...next year she’ll be a senior and she automatically goes onto varsity but I worry that her skills will not be good enough and she’ll get very little playing time.

How do I help her to keep her skills up without the commitment of club? If I get her a private coach she won’t have the opportunity to play against other girls. Are there teams that would allow someone to practice with them but not have to do tournaments?

I know this a long shot but thanks for any info.

Hi All,

Need some help. My daughter who’s a junior in high school has decided to quit club soccer, she prefers to focus more on her studies. She wants to continue playing high school soccer cause she has so much fun with her friends.

So here’s my dillemma...next year she’ll be a senior and she automatically goes onto varsity but I worry that her skills will not be good enough and she’ll get very little playing time.

How do I help her to keep her skills up without the commitment of club? If I get her a private coach she won’t have the opportunity to play against other girls. Are there teams that would allow someone to practice with them but not have to do tournaments?

I know this a long shot but thanks for any info.

One girl I interviewed who wanted to do the same thing stepped back to an AYSO United squad-- her United squad breaks during the high school soccer season. Also there's futsal.

Go play indoor soccer and ask her high school coach if maybe he coaches a club team that she can moonlight with on some club games and practice sessions.

Can she find a club / team / coach that doesn’t have the same demands as her current one?
What level / flight is she playing at today?

but I worry that her skills will not be good enough and she’ll get very little playing time.
Is she worried about that? She’s 16 or 17 ... she’ll get it figured out and, at worst, have a great senior year with her friends.

If she’s a junior and her skills aren’t good enough to have her playing next season, something is wrong.

She should have a baseline set of skills after all this time to be OK, right? I’d worry more about fitness.

Also, what expectations does she have? If she’s ok part time playing and just wants to be a part of the HS experience, allow her that.

Is she not on Varsity as a junior? I haven’t seen a lot of first time Varsity seniors get any amount of playing time?

It’s her soccer team. If she plays or doesn’t play, that is on her. Especially since she will be a SENIOR! Mom and dad cant do it for them anymore.
If your asking for our opinion, mine is to back off. Sounds like the kid doesn’t want the pressure anymore and just wants the fun. Enjoy watching your kid in their last few soccer games.

Back