Info on Recruiting Process How early, how to look etc...

First off I want to apologize, as this is a lengthy post and I want to thank anyone beforehand that can give some input.

My DD plays on a top level f1 team, shes a regular starter, can arguably say one of the top 3-4 studs on the team. We started playing for fun 4 years ago and find ourselves asking ourselves many questions, whether to pursue an athletic scholarship or not? We hear most girls in order to be recruited to a D1 or lower D1 level school, almost all have to come from academy clubs?

I have heard sooo many different stories, and every experience is unique. My daughter loves to play but we are also looking long term into her academic future, my daughter up to this point is very committed to school (honors classes, ap courses, clubs, volunteer hours) and we just don't know if we can pass up a good college(the UC's or Cal States) for a NAIA or d2 school. People that are close in our circle have been saying is not too hard and sometimes can be fairly easy to get recruited for those private NAIA, d3 and community college schools. Here are a few questions I have been pondering.

1. Should we? Stay in flight 1 again with current team and keep competing in f1 another year? (don't know if its worth it for both her and us to continue in f1)

2. Can players in a f1 team still be scouted to a d1 school even though they do not join an academy team? If we had to join DA, which academy team would you recommend and why?

3. When do I start recording video or getting scouting videos for her.

4. Is it true you have to send tons of videos and reach out to coaches, and when is a good time to start that?

5. How early can they start courting, or recruiting a player?

6. Is it true most girls at the 2003 age are already scouted or being scouted by top d1 schools?

Some of your questions are addressed in this helpful thread: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/recruiting-tips-for-parents-just-starting-the-process.42/

Our DD is in a similar spot and I've asked many of the same questions. The parents who've already been through this can answer better, but that won't stop me from giving my .02 ...
Women's college soccer recruiting is not like football or basketball recruiting. Coaches aggressively recruit the top .1%. Those players will have teams seeking them out. Everybody else has to go out and make it happen on their own. Unless your kid is dominating in ODP play or getting NT call ups, all the "recruiting" is you and your kid going after it yourselves. To your questions:

1. Your decision to stay with a team or move to a new team should be based on factors such as your DD's happiness/enjoyment of the sport, the coach, and her ability to improve in that setting. Don't leave a situation she's happy with and getting better to chase scholarship dreams with another team because of the league they play in.
2. Yes, you can be recruited by a D1 school if you're not in a ECNL or DA club. Hell it could be flight 2 or CSL Silver. However, if you have found another coach and team who you think will benefit her development more than the current situation, and it happens to be a DA or ECNL club, then great. It's not about the club, it's the coach. All clubs have some bad coaches, and many of them have some great coaches. Check out the coaches of the age groups in the DA or ECNL clubs local to you and get info on them.
3. You can start now with the videos, but the next two years will be really more important (from what I've been told), although some parents say video is not as important as the ID camps and showcases....
4. & 5. See the attached thread. Much better answers from veterans of the process.
6. In a way, yes. The NCAA rules prevent the schools from contacting them until Junior year, but the kids that are National Team camp invitees and top ODP players have top D1 programs already earmarking them.

Additional notes: there are great options for academics at the D3 level and soccer can help get her in with financial aid (there are no official athletic scholarships at D3). Don't discount that route. Another route if she has the grades for academic scholarships and/or you have the financial resources and it's D1 or bust in her mind: Target the schools she wants to go to and tell them that she doesn't need athletic scholarship money. If she's good enough and dedicated enough, she could get a spot on a team, she can walk on too. That's appealing to the coaches because of the limited scholarship $ available. For the next two years, go to the college ID camps to make connections with college coaches.

Good luck to you and your player!

Some of your questions are addressed in this helpful thread: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/recruiting-tips-for-parents-just-starting-the-process.42/

Our DD is in a similar spot and I've asked many of the same questions. The parents who've already been through this can answer better, but that won't stop me from giving my .02 ...
Women's college soccer recruiting is not like football or basketball recruiting. Coaches aggressively recruit the top .1%. Those players will have teams seeking them out. Everybody else has to go out and make it happen on their own. Unless your kid is dominating in ODP play or getting NT call ups, all the "recruiting" is you and your kid going after it yourselves. To your questions:

1. Your decision to stay with a team or move to a new team should be based on factors such as your DD's happiness/enjoyment of the sport, the coach, and her ability to improve in that setting. Don't leave a situation she's happy with and getting better to chase scholarship dreams with another team because of the league they play in.
2. Yes, you can be recruited by a D1 school if you're not in a ECNL or DA club. Hell it could be flight 2 or CSL Silver. However, if you have found another coach and team who you think will benefit her development more than the current situation, and it happens to be a DA or ECNL club, then great. It's not about the club, it's the coach. All clubs have some bad coaches, and many of them have some great coaches. Check out the coaches of the age groups in the DA or ECNL clubs local to you and get info on them.
3. You can start now with the videos, but the next two years will be really more important (from what I've been told), although some parents say video is not as important as the ID camps and showcases....
4. & 5. See the attached thread. Much better answers from veterans of the process.
6. In a way, yes. The NCAA rules prevent the schools from contacting them until Junior year, but the kids that are National Team camp invitees and top ODP players have top D1 programs already earmarking them.

Additional notes: there are great options for academics at the D3 level and soccer can help get her in with financial aid (there are no official athletic scholarships at D3). Don't discount that route. Another route if she has the grades for academic scholarships and/or you have the financial resources and it's D1 or bust in her mind: Target the schools she wants to go to and tell them that she doesn't need athletic scholarship money. If she's good enough and dedicated enough, she could get a spot on a team, she can walk on too. That's appealing to the coaches because of the limited scholarship $ available. For the next two years, go to the college ID camps to make connections with college coaches.

Good luck to you and your player!

GOOD STUFF MYSTERYTRAIN. MUCH APPRECIATED. OUR F1 COACH IS SOLID, NO COMPLAINTS THERE, JUST LOOKING FOR BEST OPTIONS FOR MY DAUGHTER LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

WHERE CAN I FIND ID CAMPS AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE HOW TO APPROACH COACHES? HOW TO GET THEIR INFO OTHER THAN JUST EMAIL?

First off I want to apologize, as this is a lengthy post and I want to thank anyone beforehand that can give some input.

My DD plays on a top level f1 team, shes a regular starter, can arguably say one of the top 3-4 studs on the team. We started playing for fun 4 years ago and find ourselves asking ourselves many questions, whether to pursue an athletic scholarship or not? We hear most girls in order to be recruited to a D1 or lower D1 level school, almost all have to come from academy clubs?

I have heard sooo many different stories, and every experience is unique. My daughter loves to play but we are also looking long term into her academic future, my daughter up to this point is very committed to school (honors classes, ap courses, clubs, volunteer hours) and we just don't know if we can pass up a good college(the UC's or Cal States) for a NAIA or d2 school. People that are close in our circle have been saying is not too hard and sometimes can be fairly easy to get recruited for those private NAIA, d3 and community college schools. Here are a few questions I have been pondering.

1. Should we? Stay in flight 1 again with current team and keep competing in f1 another year? (don't know if its worth it for both her and us to continue in f1)

2. Can players in a f1 team still be scouted to a d1 school even though they do not join an academy team? If we had to join DA, which academy team would you recommend and why?

3. When do I start recording video or getting scouting videos for her.

4. Is it true you have to send tons of videos and reach out to coaches, and when is a good time to start that?

6. Is it true most girls at the 2003 age are already scouted or being scouted by top d1 schools?

I agree with MT across the board...here are some additional thoughts:

1. Should we Stay in flight 1 again with current team and keep competing in f1 another year? (don't know if its worth it for both her and us to continue in f1)

Good coach, continuing to improve, and happiness with location/travel times...stay put. My daughter was successfully recruited to college from a non-ECNL Flight 1 side prior to DA. However, it was a very accomplished team with national recognition. So don't be reluctant to pull the trigger if some of those characteristics (coaching, improvement, location) are missing and if you think she can get all of that and play on a DA side. My daughter was reticent about switching clubs from an ECNL to a non-ECNL team at U15, but it was the best decision she ever made. Family had to sacrifice location for better instruction and coaching, but it paid off.

3. When do I start recording video or getting scouting videos for her?

I know many people that have used video successfully in the recruiting process. You have to remember, it is not a one and done exercise. Using video from current games will not be impressive when she is a sophomore or junior. You'll have to update the video with current games as she gets older to keep it relevant.

Tons of videos? It doesn't need to be more than one video about 4 mins long. Most coaches will not view the entire 4 mins. In our experience, we did not create a video for my player. It didn't seem to hurt her in the recruiting process. MT is dead on when it comes to showcases and ID camps. The trick is to figure out which showcases and ID camps to attend.

Coaches continue to recruit early...if everyone is doing it, they do not want to be left behind. NCAA is considering rules to try to limit the recruitment of girls that are in 8th and 9th grades, but that is in the future. The first instance of any coach interest in my player was when she was playing up 2 years at Surf Cup in the summer between 8th and 9th grades, so the coaches thought she was going into her junior year. It woke me up to the possibility of her playing in college. Mostly D3 schools contacted her, including Carnegie Mellon, and Washington University in STL. If your player is academically minded, these are phenomenal schools, and they are strong D3 soccer schools as well.

If your player is scouted prior to Junior year of high school, and creates interest from a D1 or D2 coach, they will email your team's coach or manager to indicate interest and get her coach's input. That interest should be communicated back to you from the coach or team manager. The team manager should also make note of any coaches that watch your team play and communicate that info back to the team. Again, my kid was not a YNT or ODP player, but she was offered and committed in January of her sophomore year of high school. However, I have also seen D1 institutions looking for players in spring for the following fall season, due to injuries, or commitment changes, etc...

Here is some last advice...Much of what is discussed above is concerning what the schools want. What about what the player wants? Sit down with her and ask her what she knows about college. If she is anything like my kid, she will have zero clue. We had to explain D1-D3 to her, as well as public vs. private, big vs. little, rural vs. urban locations and then when you are out, go visit some schools to show her what a campus looks and feels like. It will seem like it is way too early, and her eyes may glaze over, but it is important to start thinking about it as an '03. Maybe she doesn't want to play in college at all. My daughter's only request was to play somewhere cold. Having grown up in Chicago, I know she wasn't prepared for that. We took the time to visit schools when we were traveling and when we were around southern CA locally. We are blessed to have so many great schools close by...Pepperdine, USC, Pomona-Pitzer, UCI, Point Loma...show her those differences in real life. After seeing many schools, my player wanted a large school with a big time athletic system and lots of school pride, in addition to a cooler climate. Her mother and I wanted her at a great academic institution with lots of alumni support. And, since she is not sure what she wants to study, we also wanted a variety of majors available. She is also going to apply to join their Honors College, and she wants to study abroad in the spring term of her junior year. Some soccer programs try to discourage you from these outside commitments. Find out and ask up front before committing.

Then make a list with her of schools that you would want her to attend that meet her criteria and level of play. This list will CONSTANTLY change as she progresses. At first, I didn't think she would be playing college soccer at all. Then, when the academically advanced D3's started to contact her, I thought that might be an option. Then she started getting interest from Pac12, SEC, Big 10, and ACC schools, so our list really developed over a two year period. Then email those schools on the list when she is playing in a showcase or tournament and let them know. Scan the coach list to see if the schools she is interested in will be attending. All you are trying to do is be seen, and then let her play do the rest. Coaches will have their needs mapped out over the next 4 years, so they know what positions they are going to need to fill and when.

I hope this information helps...it is a fun journey, and I hope she enjoys the ride. Best of luck to you and your player!

Last edited:
GOOD STUFF MYSTERYTRAIN. MUCH APPRECIATED. OUR F1 COACH IS SOLID, NO COMPLAINTS THERE, JUST LOOKING FOR BEST OPTIONS FOR MY DAUGHTER LIKE ANYONE ELSE.

WHERE CAN I FIND ID CAMPS AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE HOW TO APPROACH COACHES? HOW TO GET THEIR INFO OTHER THAN JUST EMAIL?

No problem. We parents got to help each other out in this crazy soccer world.

We moved our DD last year from a team and club that she liked just fine to a much better team and much better coach because she told us she wanted to get better and didn't feel she was going to max out her potential in her current situation. So I totally get it.

Best bet on the college ID camps is to search them out online. Make a list of the schools your daughter would like to go to. This can be hard because most kids this age don't really know much about college, what majors they want, what they're going to be when they graduate, etc. It's also hard because your DD might have the idea that they want to go to Stanford on a full ride soccer scholarship. It's up to you to manage their expectations and give them reality on the likelihood of such a thing. Go to the targeted school's athletic website and look up the women's soccer page. Most of them have some sort of link for "camps" with all the dates and info. It's usually first come first serve.

Have the kid fill out a "recruitment" form online on the school's athletic website. You'll start getting emails from them announcing ID camps. We did the Legends college ID camp twice and found those to be a pretty good way to learn more about the process and to get on the email lists of some schools. It was also a great reality check for us in lots of ways hearing from the coaches about how they view the recruitment process.

Here are my thoughts from a parent partially through this process (my dd is an uncommitted junior).

Been to plenty of showcases, tournaments and camps over the past few years. Never saw any coaches watching our team (a top CSL team) until Sophomore year. People will say it starts earlier but I have not seen it. Maybe if your that one in a million player or if you have older siblings that are stud college players.

My advice is that your dd needs to be playing on the very best possible team for her by her Sophomore year. There is a huge difference in the exposure that you get playing the ECNL showcases (and I assume that this will be the case for the DA showcases). As good as our team and coach was, we were with a smaller club and struggled to get into the best flights and tournaments. The name of the game here is that you need your dd to be seen by a coach that wants her. So you need to do everything you can to increase her visibility. We have done that now but wished we did it a year sooner.

My dd started writing coaches her Sophomore year. Its a real grind to write these emails since you can't just send the same one to every coach. You need to customize each one. Also as a parent you should not be writing or sending these emails. You will get a ton of email from coaches about camps. You need to be cautious here since they are using a mailing list and software to make it look like they know your dd. They don't. The college sponsored camps we have done so far have been ones where she is interested in going to that school even if she does not play soccer. These camps have up to 150 girls. We have also done several private camps. We have chosen ones with a good coach to player ratio and with coaches that she wants to meet. One camp had 10 coaches and only 24 girls.

Videoing is a grind. If your doing it yourself its tough to get good quality videos. Its far better to chip in with the other parents and pay someone to video your tournament or showcase. We finally moved teams this year and one of the best things is that all games are filmed for us. I would video games when you start writing coaches in her sophomore year. No coach wants to see your clip from 2 years ago when she was in Middle School.

One final word don't believe the recruiting talk you get at these camps from college coaches. They all say that they don't care what league, club or team you play for. That they will recruit players from anywhere. Do the homework yourself. Look up their most recent recruiting class. For many colleges and most D1 programs you will see the vast majority of players, up until this year, played in ECNL. You need to have your dd playing where the coaches recruit from.

We have also done several private camps. We have chosen ones with a good coach to player ratio and with coaches that she wants to meet. One camp had 10 coaches and only 24 girls.

I don't think I've ever heard of these. Sounds loke the right kind of camp. More info please.

I don't think I've ever heard of these. Sounds loke the right kind of camp. More info please.

The camp with 20 coaches and only 24 girls was Upper90 camp run by Joe Flanagan (Flanagan Soccer Academy) at Cal State Dominguez Hills.

We also did an Exact Soccer camp at Azusa Pacific earlier this year. Maybe 30 girls there at about 12 coaches. At that camp they had a session wear each girl needed to prepare on how to introduce themselves to a coach and then they practiced by getting to talk 1 on 1 with each coach.

Just to give you an idea. Even with the DA shift and the NCAA playoffs beginning today, colleges will attend top team games in either league. Today was the start of the ECNL Showcase. Top teams in either league will stay relevant. Here's the list of coaches watching us today:
University of Hawaii
USA National Team
University of Michigan
Houston State
University of Illinois
Iowa State University
Kansas
University of Michigan
Depaul University
Southern Methodist university
Santa Clara
University of Oregon
Kansas State University
University of Miami
University Cincinnati
Grand Canyon University
Tulsa University
Oklahoma University
UTEP
Utah State
Iowa
Indiana University
Arkansas state
Colby College
Air Force
Wyoming
Arizona State
Emerson College
Louis and Clark University
Gonzaga

That’s pretty good. There were a lot of top schools at the SURF DA summer cup too. Will be interesting to hear the attendees for Florida. The beauty for DA players is the video and email system for coaches. I hear it’s a pretty sweet deal.

Back