IMG Academy

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience with the IMG Academy? My son is being recruited to go there for his jr. and sr. years. I didn't know it existed until we saw them at the Indio showcase.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience with the IMG Academy? My son is being recruited to go there for his jr. and sr. years. I didn't know it existed until we saw them at the Indio showcase.
My limited knowledge is as follows: Very expensive tuition and their soccer teams tend to be mid level, or upper, mid level (ie below MLS Academy quality). Originally known as THE training ground for young tennis stars, but has branched out to other sports. One of the originators of true youth sports academies in the US. (although there are probably a few successful ski academies that predated them).

If it were me, I would investigate the quality of the education (teacher qualifications, online vs in-person etc).

We know a kid that went there to play football when and came back right after things opened up post Covid. I don't know the cost but California football was, for him, the better option.

If you are recruited, I am assuming the cost is covered so you should take it. It is a very good deal to get free good education and sports. I am also assuming something that cost $70,900/year MUST be better than free public school.

1679696620133.png

On the boys side the IMG teams where never really that competitive at the bigger tournament, playoffs, or any time our youngest sons playing time in olders over several years.

He noticed they seem to recruit from a certain demographic and they actually emailed us after one tournament where he scored a hat trick vs them. He took one look and laughed basically and said no way with their style, players, and lack of grit when they going gets tough.

If you have a son and you're looking for the very expensive on site boarding academies with education look at the Barcelona one in AZ, they play a much better style, have competitive teams, and track record of player placement, etc.

Some, but not all of it. We won't know exactly how much until after we apply.

$65,400 to $87,900 per year for the full program: room, meals, training, travel.

There are some subsidies, grants, financial assistance but you will still need a big amount of $$ to cover the rest

On the boys side the IMG teams where never really that competitive at the bigger tournament, playoffs, or any time our youngest sons playing time in olders over several years.

He noticed they seem to recruit from a certain demographic and they actually emailed us after one tournament where he scored a hat trick vs them. He took one look and laughed basically and said no way with their style, players, and lack of grit when they going gets tough.

If you have a son and you're looking for the very expensive on site boarding academies with education look at the Barcelona one in AZ, they play a much better style, have competitive teams, and track record of player placement, etc.
I'd second this. If you can't swing an MLS academy and can afford the tuition, it's probably the second best option. I'd get a team commitment, however, in writing, if possible. Wouldn't want to spend that cash just to get a lower level team.

I might see the value of their programs in individual sports like golf, tennis, or track, where the degree of their training value could be objectively measured. In team sports (soccer, baseball, basketball) not so much.

I might see the value of their programs in individual sports like golf, tennis, or track, where the degree of their training value could be objectively measured. In team sports (soccer, baseball, basketball) not so much.
Barsca is the real deal. Soccer is all they do and it’s a good option for players that for whatever reason don’t find themselves with an academy slot. They are also on an academy practice schedule which means daily conditioning, tactics and practices, not like other mls next teams which maybe meet 3-5 times a week for a couple hours. Players are on pro or d1 track for the most part. Very robust and rigorous sports recruitment counseling department, in the sw conference. The tryouts are rigorous and very hard to get in

imgs main attraction is that’s it’s a combined school/mls next slot. Similar appeal to barsca…daily year round conditioning, tactics and practices. Your sport isn’t part time. But if you are on the b team, that’s a whole ton of money to be paying for something which isn’t mls next, particularly outside the sw conference.

My son plays against Barca in the season and we watched IMG play at the Indio showcase this year and I thought the IMG team was stronger (but, obviously, hard to tell from watching a single game). The appeal of IMG over Barca to him is that the school is larger and coed. He feels he's more likely to make friends / have some fun off the field if not everyone is 100% boys soccer focused. We're also concerned about Barca's level academically.

Back