ID CAMPS

That is not correct. If you read the article carefully it says 48% of top 100 men's basketball recruits transfer and it is a very specific study group and study period.

"Sports Illustrated analyzed the commitment and transfer trends of the top-100 men’s basketball recruits between 2007 and 2011, and found that among players who made verbal commitments three years or more prior to entering college, 48% of them (removing one-and-done players) transferred colleges. That is not a desirable outcome for student-athletes or for coaches."

The soccer number is much lower.

My misread. Good catch. Sorry to create confusion.

Where are the soccer stats that you are referring to? I would be interested to see the breakdown for each sports and for girls who commit freshman and sophomore years compared to junior/senior years. It would also be interesting to see how many girls commit and then decommit before even going to college.

Not sure why committing early would ever be a considered a good thing. It sounds much more like a necessary evil for some rather than something we should be bragging about. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/...-college-then-starting-9th-grade.html?hp&_r=0

My misread. Good catch. Sorry to create confusion.

Where are the soccer stats that you are referring to? I would be interested to see the breakdown for each sports and for girls who commit freshman and sophomore years compared to junior/senior years. It would also be interesting to see how many girls commit and then decommit before even going to college.

Not sure why committing early would ever be a considered a good thing. It sounds much more like a necessary evil for some rather than something we should be bragging about. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/...-college-then-starting-9th-grade.html?hp&_r=0

And Haley Berg will be attending Texas this fall. Let's see if she graduates as a Longhorn. Texas also committed 2 8th graders recently and 1 is an Arsenal FC player from SoCal.

Sometimes simple math and logic needs to used. If on average a collegiate soccer team adds 7 freshmen players per year. If the players are transferring out at a 58% clip or 4 players each year. They would only have 12 players on their roster! Not counting, players transferring in and most women college programs have a roster of 30+ players.

In other words, 58% transfer rate is pure BS!

We are talking about players that commit early, not all recruits. So, if 2 of the 7 freshman committed by their sophomore year, only one needs to transfer to account such a high transfer rate.

We are talking about players that commit early, not all recruits. So, if 2 of the 7 freshman committed by their sophomore year, only one needs to transfer to account such a high transfer rate.
That's not what this posts states. Please brush up on your reading below!
We were told this weekend from a college coach at an ID camp that the current stats are that only 42% of women soccer recruits graduate from the schools they start at. The coaches all said that early commitments is a huge part of the issue with the large amount of transfers and this issue is a huge black eye on the sport which is mostly hidden from parents of High School kids. I have been told by several parent's that the worst mistake they made was to have their daughter commit when they were a Sophomore. By the time their daughters had graduated their interests had changed and the program they went to as a Freshmen had also changed. They ended up transferring and essentially wasting their first year of college. I would be very careful about committing early.
42% only graduated also means 58% transfer. #duh

Glen and CaliKlines, early commits also include players who commit their freshemn, sophomore and Jr year of HS. Which applies to probably 90% of Power 5 and top mid-major soccer programs!

I thought you were replying to my post. My bad. I was solely referring to those that commit as sophomores and earlier.

I thought you were replying to my post. My bad. I was solely referring to those that commit as sophomores and earlier.
My bad too, I should have quoted my reply.

I do agree early commits is a runaway train that needs to be curtailed when verbal commits are now coming from 8th graders.

The problem is, parents who's DDs are not YNT players can put their foot down and instruct their DDs to commit their Sr year of HS. Unfortunately those families will be left in the cold with athletic money (Power 5) allocated to the players who committed early.

You are telling parents about the reality. I think your description is accurate. It's unfortunate, but it does seem to be the new norm.

Don't shoot the messenger. The 42% stat I quoted was what I was told by a college coach that won 4 National Championships as a player and is a long term coach and in charge of compliance at her college. Several D1 coaches were present and this was told to a room full of parents. No one disagreed with it. All said it is a problem. I don't care if you believe it or not. I have three HS age kids. None know what they want to study nor where they want to go to College. It changes every week. I don't care about the money aspect for the one that wants to play college soccer. I just want her to be happy with her choice. No way is she ready to decide that as a Sophomore.

Don't shoot the messenger. The 42% stat I quoted was what I was told by a college coach that won 4 National Championships as a player and is a long term coach and in charge of compliance at her college. Several D1 coaches were present and this was told to a room full of parents. No one disagreed with it. All said it is a problem. I don't care if you believe it or not. I have three HS age kids. None know what they want to study nor where they want to go to College. It changes every week. I don't care about the money aspect for the one that wants to play college soccer. I just want her to be happy with her choice. No way is she ready to decide that as a Sophomore.

My player was in the same boat, so we chose to unofficially visit campuses that expressed interest and varied in type and size during freshman and sophomore years. She checked out a small, private D3 (Wash U in STL), a large public D1 university (U of Illinois in Champaign), and a medium sized private D1 (Northwestern) all in one trip. It provided a frame of reference for her to understanding the differences. She also had the opportunity to visit other schools at other times to compare and contrast different parts of the country (SW, PNW, Midwest, south, and east coast). We incorporated the travel into family visits/vacations and when her soccer team traveled. She watched games on YouTube of each school (usually just a half) to get a feel of their style of play. At the end of all of the visits, her big request was "I want to go somewhere cold." Our parental advice to her was to pick a college that had a large catalog of varied and diverse majors that would give her a wide base of educational opportunities fr0m which to choose, when she was ready.

My player was in the same boat, so we chose to unofficially visit campuses that expressed interest and varied in type and size during freshman and sophomore years. She checked out a small, private D3 (Wash U in STL), a large public D1 university (U of Illinois in Champaign), and a medium sized private D1 (Northwestern) all in one trip. It provided a frame of reference for her to understanding the differences. She also had the opportunity to visit other schools at other times to compare and contrast different parts of the country (SW, PNW, Midwest, south, and east coast). We incorporated the travel into family visits/vacations and when her soccer team traveled. She watched games on YouTube of each school (usually just a half) to get a feel of their style of play. At the end of all of the visits, her big request was "I want to go somewhere cold." Our parental advice to her was to pick a college that had a large catalog of varied and diverse majors that would give her a wide base of educational opportunities fr0m which to choose, when she was ready.
You forgot to add, your DD verbally committed as a Jr to an ACC program as an early commit!

If this is your stance, then Power 5 and top mid-major schools should be crossed off your DDs top 10 list. Unless, she attends as a non-student athlete.

Okay so the coach played at North Carolina. I can tell you 100% that is not an accurate number for any school in the Pac 12 conference.

I'm interested to know what college camp simisoccerfan's DD attended.
Speaking of camps. What are your thought's, MAP & NG, on the College Soccer Academy camps with multiple colleges attending. Like the one offered this summer in Oceanside CA. Do you think these are beneficial?

Speaking of camps. What are your thought's, MAP & NG, on the College Soccer Academy camps with multiple colleges attending. Like the one offered this summer in Oceanside CA. Do you think these are beneficial?

I don't have any experience with camps with multiple colleges so I couldn't give you an informed answer. My player went to two camps, one in the summer and one in the spring and they were for the school that she currently attends. Both were by invitation and the coach wanted to see her against other top prospects, assess how coachable she was and to see her matched up with current players. It worked out for her.

My DD attended 3 college camps. 2 were for her school she will be attending in the Fall and the other was a school who was recruiting her. The ID camps are great, because if the coach has interest in the player. The player can get a good idea of their training and playing style. Not to mention the coaches personalities. Great way to know, if it's a fit for any player.

The only multiple college camp my DD attended was the college camp that SoCal Blues put together 3-4 years ago. She was 13 at the time and was able to compare the personalities of several coaches in attendance. She knew afterwards which coach she liked and didn't like and crossed the schools off her list for the coaches she didn't like.

Re early commits: top players have changed their minds and recommitted successfully elsewhere. Its not a life sentence.

Back