I think it should be mandatory that all coaches & DOC get drug tested twice a year.

Well first of all anyone who smokes pot and drinks Scotch "every night" has a real problem! So YA I don't want that person in my child's life!
The rest of what you wrote is also full of open ended holes.."belligerently drunk"? as opposed to slightly drunk would be OK??
If I knew of a family member or anyone within reach of my child that did drugs for weekend or weekday recreational drug use YA I have an issue with that person having any influence on my child.

For all you know, your coach is smoking a bowl every night. And that's the thing, you wouldn't know! Because it wouldn't affect their coaching ability! You could take your kid to see their doctor, and that doctor could have had half a bottle of wine the night before, and you would never know, because it is not affecting his professionalism or interaction with your child. Or the mom who offers to take your kid home from practice may have had a whole bottle plus some pot the night before!

Life is messy and you can't isolate your kids from every adult that enjoys a drink every night with dinner. It's just not realistic.

Answeing the previous post -READ IT-
I have read all the posts. While you usually have some good posts, you are tilting at windmills with this thread. I have two kids in club soccer and have only seen one problem with an inebriated coach over the years. That coach would be SteveO of Surf and that incident was reported to the club (and he nearly got his ass beat as well by one of the parents). He was not my kid's coach. While I did not ever hear what Surf did about the incident, we left the club about six months later. NO NEED TO SHOUT.

For all you know, your coach is smoking a bowl every night. And that's the thing, you wouldn't know! Because it wouldn't affect their coaching ability! You could take your kid to see their doctor, and that doctor could have had half a bottle of wine the night before, and you would never know, because it is not affecting his professionalism or interaction with your child. Or the mom who offers to take your kid home from practice may have had a whole bottle plus some pot the night before!

Life is messy and you can't isolate your kids from every adult that enjoys a drink every night with dinner. It's just not realistic.

Almost not worth a response, so I will make it simple.
If I have a choice of knowing if a person in my child's life does or doesn't smoke pot, pop pills, snort drugs or shoot up WELL I'm going with -> I would like that important info if possible.

If I have a choice of knowing if a person in my child's life does or doesn't smoke pot, pop pills, snort drugs or shoot up WELL I'm going with -> I would like that important info if possible.

So do you demand random drug testing of your children's teachers, school staff, tutors, camp counselors, violin teacher, adult family members, school volunteers, friends' parents, teammates' parents, doctors, dentists, etc?

I have read all the posts. While you usually have some good posts, you are tilting at windmills here. I have two kids in club soccer and have only seen one problem with an inebriated coach over the years. That coach would be SteveO of Surf and that incident was reported to the club (and he nearly got his ass beat as well by one of the parents). He was not my kid's coach. While I did not ever hear what Surf did about the incident, we left the club about six months later. NO NEED TO SHOUT.

Perfect example - one is one to many.
People make mistakes and I like to be aware of what kind of mistakes people make when dealing with my children. Especially when we are taking about possible drug use.
It is a very easy and simple way to set parents at ease and most importantly just a little bit closer to protecting our children.
Really it shows the clubs being proactive and respectful towards their customers.

It's obvious to me that you have never met an actual drug addict, because there is no way in hell they would be making 8am weekend games!

So do you demand random drug testing of your children's teachers, school staff, tutors, camp counselors, violin teacher, adult family members, school volunteers, friends' parents, teammates' parents, doctors, dentists, etc?

I'm not sure if their are forums for your list of questions but last time I checked this is a "Soccer forum" thanks.

Perfect example - one is one to many.
People make mistakes and I like to be aware of what kind of mistakes people make when dealing with my children. Especially when we are taking about possible drug use.
It is a very easy and simple way to set parents at ease and most importantly just a little bit closer to protecting our children.
Really it shows the clubs being proactive and respectful towards their customers.

How many coaches have we on this forum had collectively? And can only point to one coach with a serious abuse issue that affected his coaching? That tells me this is a one off, not a widespread youth soccer coach problem.

Funny how you won't answer any questions about your own alcohol use, yet you equate marijuana with synthetic drugs. In case you missed it, recreational marijuana is legal in California. Objective studies of intoxicants always list alcohol as one of the most dangerous, and marijuana as the least dangerous.

It's obvious to me that you have never met an actual drug addict, because there is no way in hell they would be making 8am
How many coaches have we on this forum had collectively? And can only point to one coach with a serious abuse issue that affected his coaching? That tells me this is a one off, not a widespread youth soccer coach problem.

Let's clear something up here. We are talking about drug use in any form, all illegal drug use it wrong! We are talking about drugs in the USA and yes their is a drug epidemic in the US. So it doesn't have to be an addict to be a problem when dealing with children. ZERO tolerance should be the rule.
No such thing as OK or acceptable on anything illegal if your chosen profession is anything to do with children.

Let's clear something up here. We are talking about drug use in any form, all illegal drug use it wrong! We are talking about drugs in the USA and yes their is a drug epidemic in the US. So it doesn't have to be an addict to be a problem when dealing with children. ZERO tolerance should be the rule.
No such thing as OK or acceptable on anything illegal if your chosen profession is anything to do with children.

You should sign up to give DARE lectures.

I'm also worried you are going to call cps because I like a glass of wine with dinner.

Why don't you go to your doc and demand your clubs coaches be randomly drug tested. Start from there and let us know how it goes.

Your posts are getting wackier. No further communication with you until you have a drug test.

Very simple - I myself think when it comes to children being around adults that we as parents allow to have a mentor position in our children's lives having a simple drug test is not to much to ask, especially when we are talking about just one more easy step towards the safety of the children.
I cant imagine anyone, parents, coaches, clubs having a choice of knowing if the person that you son or DD see's 3-4 times per week is drug free is something worth debating. I'm keeping this very simple as it should be, this is 100% about the children and just taking a very simple step to insure child safety. What exactly is the argument on why a youth coach should not be subject to a drug test?
We are not talking about a random person on the street here, we are talking about people in a very important position of influence, safety and responsibility.

Are you under the impression that some how Soccer coaches have dodged this fact.

2014 Statistics: 22.7 million Americans needed treatment for a substance use disorder – almost 9% of the population over the age of 12. Only about 2.5 million received such treatment. It is estimated that more than 41% of treatment admissions were for alcohol abuse, 20% of admissions were for opiate addiction treatment, and 17% were for the treatment of marijuana abuse back in 2009 and this number has gone up substantially since 2009.

There are more teachers, police officers and fire fighters than youth soccer coaches and they have a much greater position of influence. Let's drug test them but instead of bi annually let's do it bi-weekly. I mean if we are really trying to catch somebody doing something we need to check more often. I would also add that all politicians should get drug tested daily with all the BS they put us the American people through.

It saddens me that you think that coaches that you have been associated with need to be drug tested. I count myself among the fortunate that haven't had to deal with that. Although if I wanted to rail against a coach I think my daughter's U11 coach was horrible in a multitude of ways. You know how I dealt with it, I pulled my kid off the team a few weeks into the season, demanded a full refund and took her to a situation that helped her blossom. I suggest you do the same in lieu of creating more unnecessary laws. You seem like a smart and engaged person. Good luck to you and your player.

I have read all the posts. While you usually have some good posts, you are tilting at windmills with this thread. I have two kids in club soccer and have only seen one problem with an inebriated coach over the years. That coach would be SteveO of Surf and that incident was reported to the club (and he nearly got his ass beat as well by one of the parents). He was not my kid's coach. While I did not ever hear what Surf did about the incident, we left the club about six months later. NO NEED TO SHOUT.
Surf did nothing meaningful. And there were multiple incidents. The one good point Sharky is making is that when a club knows about the alcohol/drug abuse and does nothing, what does that say about the club? And as a family you have to ask whether you want to be part of a club that would allow this.

My view is that if my kid does not have to deal with the problem, I don't care because we picked clubs for the coach not the DOC or Board.

Back