Hydration in summer games (sports drinks better than water alone? any other supplements?)

Usually just give my kids water. Try to hydrate well before the game. And of course during and after.

But during a tournament a few week ago, after 2 intense games played in very hot weather, one of my kids had symptoms of dehydration - dizziness, nausea. After cooling down, water, some food later, he was alright.

But was wondering for those multi games per day scenarios, if sports drink or any of those electrolyte drops mixed in with water is more helpful to stay hydrated?

Was trying to avoid sports drinks due to sugar but maybe the sugar and sodium in those drinks is good for hydration on a hot day?

Was wondering if anyone uses anything for their kids.

On a daily basis I encourage my player to drink 32+ ounces of water with one or two of the low sugar electrolyte tabs like Nuuns. Once that is finished if it's a hard training day or a tournament I have no issue with sports drinks since the sugar helps replace glycogen.

On a daily basis I encourage my player to drink 32+ ounces of water with one or two of the low sugar electrolyte tabs like Nuuns. Once that is finished if it's a hard training day or a tournament I have no issue with sports drinks since the sugar helps replace glycogen.
Or you can just give them this ;-)

Hydrate well a day or two before the game. DD prefers 5 oz. of pickle juice for electrolyte/sodium replacement at half or between games. Dosen't taste bad, or cause her a sour stomach like some of the commercial option do.

Usually just give my kids water. Try to hydrate well before the game. And of course during and after.

But during a tournament a few week ago, after 2 intense games played in very hot weather, one of my kids had symptoms of dehydration - dizziness, nausea. After cooling down, water, some food later, he was alright.

But was wondering for those multi games per day scenarios, if sports drink or any of those electrolyte drops mixed in with water is more helpful to stay hydrated?

Was trying to avoid sports drinks due to sugar but maybe the sugar and sodium in those drinks is good for hydration on a hot day?

Was wondering if anyone uses anything for their kids.
Try Q Science - sponsoring RSF Attack. They have a super healthy kids sports drink.

This is what my DD (ATC and nutritionist) tells the professional and college athletes she works with. She provides them with a 7 day nutrition and hydration plan. Hydration levels should increase beginning on Wednesday for weekend games. At least 72 ounces of water a day which includes 24oz of electrolyte drinks. The Nunn tablets work great for getting the electrolytes and they have multiple flavors. She suggests 16oz of orange juice with breakfast on game day. Plenty of water 8-12oz each hour (depending on body mass) leading up to the game. Water only during the game. Post game hydration is just as important as pre-game. Need a good recovery drink that is balanced with cabs, protein and electrolyte. I recommend GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Protein Recovery drink mix. Mix it at home and keep it cold. This stuff will help your kid recover quickly after a game. Carb load on Friday night. No greasy or fried food on Friday or on game day. ***The ounce amounts are for an adult so you may want to reduce them slightly depending on your child’s age and weight.

Back