Hugs

So, this is the first year my son is dealing with a strange phenomenon: being grabbed from behind and hugged. He’s an 04 midfielder playing what is supposed to be a “high level” of soccer, but they combined two groups and no less than six times in three games he has been hugged like this and at least three of the times dragged to the ground in this fashion. Today he lost it and went off on a kid (got a yellow), but what I really want to know is—is anybody else dealing with or seeing this?
For the record, they’ve only blown the whistle twice on these “tackles”, both times when my son made a show of landing hard on the groper...

Tactical foul.
Sign of respect. They know the only way to stop him is to tie him up and make sure he can’t get away.

Happens even starting @ u9 especially when your a attacking player.

Dark arts get even more interesting when their older.

giphy.gif

Smart/Professional/Tactical fouls; whatever you want to call them. They get more common the older players get and the reality is this; if you don't join in and do it yourself, you are basically playing at a disadvantage. Referees struggle to spot lots of the jersey pulling and some if it is just ignored and accepted as part of the game anyway. Is it 'fair'? Probably not, but that's the culture of the game and it's not changing anytime soon.

I get that deliberate fouls are tactical, and I agree that it’s part of the game. But it hasn’t helped these teams—we have beat them quite handily. I guess what I’m saying is that I agree with Timbuck: we are at a point in soccer skills by HS where some kids can and some cannot compete at a higher technical AND athletic level. It’s somewhat pathetic to have those who can play against those who cannot, and I don’t think that “bio-banding” or a grab bag of dirty tricks is going to change the overall outcome.
Totally appreciate the responses, as I was as frustrated as my son yesterday o_O

You’re luck all your son received was a hug. I recall some of my kiddo’s teams getting a little more personal attention to break their mental attention from the game and in the hopes the would get so upset that they would punch and draw a red card. #metoo

I get that deliberate fouls are tactical, and I agree that it’s part of the game. But it hasn’t helped these teams—we have beat them quite handily. I guess what I’m saying is that I agree with Timbuck: we are at a point in soccer skills by HS where some kids can and some cannot compete at a higher technical AND athletic level. It’s somewhat pathetic to have those who can play against those who cannot, and I don’t think that “bio-banding” or a grab bag of dirty tricks is going to change the overall outcome.
Totally appreciate the responses, as I was as frustrated as my son yesterday o_O

Are the referees calling the fouls?

No, they just call make up calls on ticky tack fouls afterwards. I’ve noticed poor judgement and letting the games get out of control happening more and more...

No, they just call make up calls on ticky tack fouls afterwards. I’ve noticed poor judgement and letting the games get out of control happening more and more...

Holding is one defensive action that doesn't have to be reckless to be judged as an infraction. It's always a foul. Committing it to break up a potential break toward goal should earn a caution, or perhaps an ejection if it meets the DOGSO parameters.

Definitely see this done to my boy on the 2011 side, agree it’s the only way to be able to take down player. Ref can’t see what’s going on or just doesn’t want to call it tactical foul. Don’t blame your kid for going off on the player. My son did the same thing got yellow, I had to tell the coach to take him out to calm down got he got emotional for the yellow . Once I saw him step out I told him just play his game and show them they can’t do that to you again. From that day on he not afraid to put a bit more body per say on players who want to intimidate him.

low elbow . . . my daughter learned to clip that crap in the bud. for the record, she never initiated any of this garbage. she just knows not to be anyone's doormat.

I call these “hugs” (holding foul) all the time. The tough part of them is to wait and see if the player can break free and continue the attack. I have even issued a few yellow cards for “hugs” within the last year. One of the “hug” calls decided a championship game this past summer. The B17 attacker was headed out of the penalty area when the defender held him from behind with a bear hug. I made the PK call and the attacker scored the winning goal on the PK with a minute to go in the game. Yes, the defenders coach yelled at me, but I always expect to get yelled at on any PK call. I see referees in San Diego make these Holding “hugs” calls all the time.

Can you even crack a joke to a player these days.
“One more foul like that and you’re going to owe him dinner”.
“His girlfriend is watching. She looks jealous. Better watch out in the parking lot”
“The last time I fouled my wife like that, we had a baby 9 months later.”
“Save that kind of activity for your first night in prison”

Back