Hispanic Teams The Best

Whatever the Academies are doing today, they need to re-invent the process. We have too many kids that want to play multiple sports and too many kids that are not discovered from the inner-cities. Somehow we can find the best players in other sports but not in Soccer?? There are other sports where the USA has not been #1 but we have made progress with our talent. Look at Hockey and how well we do now compared to 30 years ago. I did a search on youth academies in other parts of the world and it appears that many give their players 3 months off. Maybe our academies should offer more flexibility. Bottom line is doing the same as before is not progress.

We essentially have too many DA teams. IMO, there should only be 1 or two in a particular area. The DA should be for those who want to follow that path with the 'regular' clubs teams available for those who would like a different experience. But, in the end there are too many DA teams (also leads to diluted talent-lower competitive level)...the DA is using the clubs or the clubs are using the DA as a mechanism to pull kids in (fool parents). The DA is not for everyone. On my sons DA team for example...there are 19 or so kids. 8-9 shouldn't be on that team. At certain point you have to chose, if you want to compete at a world class level. Remember, the DA does not exist to put your kid in college, it exists to build a national team.....paraphrasing a US national team coach that I have spoken with. I have read countless posts about why the US soccer player is inferior. The answer is simple...it's the combo of coaching, structure, and culture. Our coaching in the US, relatively speaking, is not good (or consistent) enough. Secondly...the pay to play structure creates a built in entitlement. Parents pay-kids play mentality does not breed the required intensity and focus that is required for a player to compete at a world class level. It isn't about our 'best' athletes not choosing soccer (my son's team is filled with athletes). We, the US, simply haven't figured out how to coach and compete with the rest of the world in soccer. It is fully apparent in our WC showings and in the number(lack) of players and coaches we have at the elite levels around the world. We might have a few, but many of those have typically been trained outside the US. I think we will get there eventually, but when one goes to Germany, UK, Spain...check out the facilities, the structure, the focus...we just aren't there yet. Sorry for rambling on...just my two cents (probably worth that much:))

We essentially have too many DA teams. IMO, there should only be 1 or two in a particular area. The DA should be for those who want to follow that path with the 'regular' clubs teams available for those who would like a different experience. But, in the end there are too many DA teams (also leads to diluted talent-lower competitive level)...the DA is using the clubs or the clubs are using the DA as a mechanism to pull kids in (fool parents). The DA is not for everyone. On my sons DA team for example...there are 19 or so kids. 8-9 shouldn't be on that team. At certain point you have to chose, if you want to compete at a world class level. Remember, the DA does not exist to put your kid in college, it exists to build a national team.....paraphrasing a US national team coach that I have spoken with. I have read countless posts about why the US soccer player is inferior. The answer is simple...it's the combo of coaching, structure, and culture. Our coaching in the US, relatively speaking, is not good (or consistent) enough. Secondly...the pay to play structure creates a built in entitlement. Parents pay-kids play mentality does not breed the required intensity and focus that is required for a player to compete at a world class level. It isn't about our 'best' athletes not choosing soccer (my son's team is filled with athletes). We, the US, simply haven't figured out how to coach and compete with the rest of the world in soccer. It is fully apparent in our WC showings and in the number(lack) of players and coaches we have at the elite levels around the world. We might have a few, but many of those have typically been trained outside the US. I think we will get there eventually, but when one goes to Germany, UK, Spain...check out the facilities, the structure, the focus...we just aren't there yet. Sorry for rambling on...just my two cents (probably worth that much:))
Having no kid in DA, I really can't dispute your post, but if there are way too many kids in DA, the second reason the DA exists is money and it may be the first. US will probably never be a powerhouse in men's soccer, but we do pretty well just about everything else. Pay to pay sounds like a capitalist venture, and since we are in the USA that is exactly how it should work. No free lunches. Pay your own way, I do not want to pay for your kid to play soccer.

Having no kid in DA, I really can't dispute your post, but if there are way too many kids in DA, the second reason the DA exists is money and it may be the first. US will probably never be a powerhouse in men's soccer, but we do pretty well just about everything else. Pay to pay sounds like a capitalist venture, and since we are in the USA that is exactly how it should work. No free lunches. Pay your own way, I do not want to pay for your kid to play soccer..

No one is asking you to pay for my son. I don't want anything from you. But I appreciate your post as it just proves my point. You don't get it.

The biggest problem is low level coaching, i Europe at the academy level, coaches will have pro uefa A licence, here majority of coaches will be D, and yes, i know that at minimum coach must be B but to get around it, clubs will have one A or B but "apprentices" who are actually coach will be D, with no international level experience at all. It is sad.

No one is asking you to pay for my son. I don't want anything from you. But I appreciate your post as it just proves my point. You don't get it.
Maybe the priorities here are just different, like grades. Would you have the special players that can't afford to pay at least have good grades in order to get financial help, or is it only about soccer.

It isn't about our 'best' athletes not choosing soccer (my son's team is filled with athletes). We, the US, simply haven't figured out how to coach and compete with the rest of the world in soccer.

This is an interesting opinion. Your son's team is filled with athletes but are they on par with the kids that play on your son's high school football, basketball or baseball team? I'm going to bet they aren't even close. Unfortunately in addition to inferior coaching and a non-soccer culture on the boys side the best athletes do not play soccer and that isn't even an argument that can be made.

Good luck to you and your son.

It is irrelevant to the discussion.
It obviously does matter if you won't say, which means it is funded. Who pays for it? The non academy teams of your club? U S soccer sure isn't paying for the special ones. They are like the Government, they collect money from dopes like us and distribute it back. This is only my opinion. I maybe and have been way off in the past.

This is an interesting opinion. Your son's team is filled with athletes but are they on par with the kids that play on your son's high school football, basketball or baseball team? I'm going to bet they aren't even close. Unfortunately in addition to inferior coaching and a non-soccer culture on the boys side the best athletes do not play soccer and that isn't even an argument that can be made.

Good luck to you and your son.

Certainly it is open for discussion. You seem to classify an athlete as someone who only plays those sports you've mentioned. I know those are the popular ones, but athletes come in all shapes and sizes. My buddy's son is an amazing surfer...I would say he is an incredible athlete (even though he can't dunk a basketball). But I agree...there are many good athletes playing those HS sports, but it doesn't mean they would be great on the soccer pitch. Anyway...off topic.

My point is simply, I don't think the US soccer player suffers from the lack of athletic ability...

Thanks for the good wishes...cheers!

The more I read and think about your posts, you are sounding very hypocritical. You are complaining about DA having too many kids and your kid is getting a full or partial ride.

It obviously does matter if you won't say, which means it is funded. Who pays for it? The non academy teams of your club? U S soccer sure isn't paying for the special ones. They are like the Government, they collect money from dopes like us and distribute it back. This is only my opinion. I maybe and have been way off in the past.

Yep. You are way off. At least as it concerns me.

Club soccer, the DA...it doesn't matter. I pay the fees with eyes wide open. I truly love the discipline, dedication, love, and fight my son has developed for soccer and his team. Add that to the friends he has made and the experiences he has shared...I find it is rather inexpensive.

The more I read and think about your posts, you are sounding very hypocritical. You are complaining about DA having too many kids and your kid is getting a full or partial ride.

easy Joe....you don't know me. stick to the topic.

read the posts again. just an opinion.

Back