High School v Club soccer dates for 2016

Buckyballer

SILVER
Does anyone have a link to the exact dates that club players must stop playing if they want to play high school soccer this year? I manage a 2001 team and parents are asking for EXACT dates - I know it is around Thanksgiving weekend - I want a link to the exact date.
Thanks in advance to anyone that knows (why is this so hard to find?)

Does anyone have a link to the exact dates that club players must stop playing if they want to play high school soccer this year? I manage a 2001 team and parents are asking for EXACT dates - I know it is around Thanksgiving weekend - I want a link to the exact date.
Thanks in advance to anyone that knows (why is this so hard to find?)

Well there really isn't an exact date because they have to stop playing club the moment they start playing in high school pre-season games. I.E. your kid can play club through December, they just can't play in HS until they are done with club games. Alternatively, if your kid plays a HS pre-season game in November then they are done with club until the HS season ends. There are a couple exceptions to that rule (ODP, National Team) but that's pretty much it.

The transition day to no-more-club is usually the Monday after Thanksgiving. Some HS start practicing a week or two before Thanksgiving which is okay as long as they are not playing a scrimmage with another school. I do see a good number of the top level youth players every year that continue to play Club through December. The Disney tournament (Christmas/New Years time) in Orlando always has a few HS age So Cal teams playing.

This is for the parents out there that may want to go to a college winter ID camp. Let the HS coach know as soon as possible. If the coach says no, but your kid has a true shot at being recruited than I would attend the ID camp. I think the player would have to miss two HS games for every ID camp they attend.

The Green Book has all of the CIF rules for San Diego section. You can check the other CIF Sections for their rule books, which are very similar.
http://www.cifsds.org/governance.html#v-tabs3

The transition day to no-more-club is usually the Monday after Thanksgiving. Some HS start practicing a week or two before Thanksgiving which is okay as long as they are not playing a scrimmage with another school. I do see a good number of the top level youth players every year that continue to play Club through December. The Disney tournament (Christmas/New Years time) in Orlando always has a few HS age So Cal teams playing.

This is for the parents out there that may want to go to a college winter ID camp. Let the HS coach know as soon as possible. If the coach says no, but your kid has a true shot at being recruited than I would attend the ID camp. I think the player would have to miss two HS games for every ID camp they attend.

The Green Book has all of the CIF rules for San Diego section. You can check the other CIF Sections for their rule books, which are very similar.
http://www.cifsds.org/governance.html#v-tabs3

A few years ago, I saw the best player on his high school team sit out 2 games mid-season because he had attended a college ID camp and played in a full-side game as part of it.

CIF-SDS has relaxed the rule somewhat recently so that attendance at some ID camps were not an issue if they were approved by CIF and the high school in advance.

Under rule 600.1 in the SDS Green Book --

1. With CIFSDS prior approval, student-athletes are permitted to attend two college ID camps in any given season of sport. Attendance at any camp beyond two ID camps is a violation and would result in the penalties described in 601.A.
2. A College ID camp is defined as a sport specific camp, held on a college campus under the direction of a college coach.
3. Student athletes must receive permission from the site sport head coach and the Athletic Director/Administrator prior to attending the ID camp. ID camp participation form must be completed, signed and approved by CIFSDS prior to a student attending. Participation in an ID camp without prior approval would result in the penalties described in 601.A.
4. Camp flyer or link to camp website must be forwarded to the CIFSDS office along with completed ID camp participation form. 5. The section office will list approved college ID camps on the CIFSDS web site for reference purposes.

From Rule 601.a --

A. Individual (1) First Offense in High School Career in Any Sport The student becomes immediately ineligible for participation with his/her high school team for a number of contests equal to twice the number of contests of outside competition in which the student participated.
(2) Any Subsequent Offense in High School Career in Any Sport The student becomes immediately ineligible for one (1) year (365 days) from the second infraction in all sports.
(3) Appeals Upon written appeal to the Section commissioner, the student may petition his/her Section for reinstatement of his/her eligibility status.

http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/greenbook_2016-17__1_.pdf

Sucks to be an athlete in demand. Nice to be a desk-bound rule-maker.

Thanks everyone! Especially the links to the CIF SS rule book and the CIF SDS rule book - between that and the cal south site, I think I got it. Hopefully, my parents will now do everything they are supposed to do!

If you have players not playing HS soccer, get them hooked up with the clubs U14/13 teams. They can practice with those teams and stay in shape. They can also help the coach. I have seen this done several times and it is benificial to the older and younger players.

Back