High School Soccer..........

There was a HS lacrosse coach 3-4 years ago that cut two players because the families refused to pay a donation. The families took the matter to the school that did nothing than took it to the school board with a threat of legal action. The school board had the coach fired and the players reinstated onto the team.

What those families did is total BS. Isn't the lax coach's time and expertise worth something? Those families are basically asking the lax coach to donate his time, or have other families pay for their kids. The fact these families would take this to litigation and wreck the coach's career is just beneath contempt. I guess they would rather pay their lawyers than pay the coach to train their kids, just smh.

The problem is not everything has families that can afford to contribute and the largest fundraising gimmick is the Snap Fundraiser were you give 10-20 emails addresses of people you think might contribute and then the player has a minimum they must make. I get at least 10 of them a season from family.
While it may be the largest fundraiser, if it doesn't work for "you" (or someone who can't financially contribute) why don't you suggest another fundraiser to bring in money? Car washes and rummage sales cost little to run but bring in funds. Just because donation type fundraisers make the most money doesn't mean that there aren't other options if that isn't working for everyone.

Reactions: JJP
While it may be the largest fundraiser, if it doesn't work for "you" (or someone who can't financially contribute) why don't you suggest another fundraiser to bring in money? Car washes and rummage sales cost little to run but bring in funds. Just because donation type fundraisers make the most money doesn't mean that there aren't other options if that isn't working for everyone.
I always opted out of fundraising and just paid more than my kids fair share because my time and my children's time was more valuable.

Public schools are suppose to pay for all needs of a sports team. They just choose to spend it in the classroom or somewhere else that it is needed and ask athletics to pick up the bill since some people see it as not necessary. Why don't schools make every student by a box of paper for photocopies or pay for text books?

Our our school the soccer team traditional raised more money than the much larger football team that bearly sold any tickets to games. Yet the equipment for football is a lot more expensive.

Finally, having fundraiser is get for people with time. But what about the single parent that works 2 jobs and their child is bused in? I agree that everyone should contribute their share, but that is not always realistic.

I always opted out of fundraising and just paid more than my kids fair share because my time and my children's time was more valuable.

Public schools are suppose to pay for all needs of a sports team. They just choose to spend it in the classroom or somewhere else that it is needed and ask athletics to pick up the bill since some people see it as not necessary. Why don't schools make every student by a box of paper for photocopies or pay for text books?

Our our school the soccer team traditional raised more money than the much larger football team that bearly sold any tickets to games. Yet the equipment for football is a lot more expensive.

Finally, having fundraiser is get for people with time. But what about the single parent that works 2 jobs and their child is bused in? I agree that everyone should contribute their share, but that is not always realistic.

I don't know how some families do it, but I was working since I was 14. What preventing those HS kids from working part time and helping their single parent that works 2 jobs? There is no excuse for a HS athlete not to contribute to his own family.

I don't know how some families do it, but I was working since I was 14. What preventing those HS kids from working part time and helping their single parent that works 2 jobs? There is no excuse for a HS athlete not to contribute to his own family.
Well aren't you a special you closed minded $#%#. To help you out I will give you an example.

My son played with a kid whose family was legally here. Not sure the exact story but dad went to visit family in Central America. He did not come back. Mom did not know why but later determined that he might have been a victim of a robbery and killed. Without ID and long delay in notifying him missing they don't know for sure. No life insurance since issues with whether he ran off or was dead.

Mom worked 2 jobs to support family. Son bused to school and when he came home after dark he was responsible for taking care of his younger sisters. High school soccer was the one escape he had since club was no longer an option for him despite other families trying to help. Are you saying that he should get a job? Get a clue. He eventually went to the JC part time and worked full time to help his mom.

I would love to here were a 14'yeat old can get a job. The only one I know is being a ref but I would not let my kid do it unchaperoned.

What those families did is total BS. Isn't the lax coach's time and expertise worth something? Those families are basically asking the lax coach to donate his time, or have other families pay for their kids. The fact these families would take this to litigation and wreck the coach's career is just beneath contempt. I guess they would rather pay their lawyers than pay the coach to train their kids, just smh.

I know the story because a friend and Navy Chief took over the coaches job. One family was dealing with a father with terminal brain cancer and very limited income. The other kid was from a family where the dad had recently left the wife and Family and was not supplying any income. So, both families were extremely short on cash. The coach receives a salary so he would have been payed the same regardless of if those players gave a donation/fundraised or not. The players had already been selected for the team and were cut two weeks into practices. They were put back onto the team after the coach was fired. This is a public school and players are not required to pay to play sports. No lawyers involved. Just the parents and kids talking to the school board.

I know the story because a friend and Navy Chief took over the coaches job. One family was dealing with a father with terminal brain cancer and very limited income. The other kid was from a family where the dad had recently left the wife and Family and was not supplying any income. So, both families were extremely short on cash. The coach receives a salary so he would have been payed the same regardless of if those players gave a donation/fundraised or not. The players had already been selected for the team and were cut two weeks into practices. They were put back onto the team after the coach was fired. This is a public school and players are not required to pay to play sports. No lawyers involved. Just the parents and kids talking to the school board.
Thank you for giving Foto and Eagle a wake up call. I guess they must be one of those blessed families that never suffered from adversity.

Thank you for giving Foto and Eagle a wake up call. I guess they must be one of those blessed families that never suffered from adversity.
I am definitely not from a family that has never faced adversity. I was raised by a single mom who sometimes worked two jobs. I recall sleeping in the car while my mom worked at a local gas station at night in probably not the nicest neighborhood. Forget extra curriculars. We were just trying to put food on the table. By high school I was basically raising myself.

I definitely think that a family that can truly not afford to pay shouldn't have to and now that I am adult and in a better financial position than I had growing up I have no issues paying more than my share to help others who are not quite so fortunate.

BUT, in my own experience volunteering in schools I have found that the majority of people who don't pay are not people that can't afford to, it's because they don't want to. Why pay for something when you can get it for free? Those people also feel nothing about complaining about having to do any fundraising because their time is worth more than everyone elses.

I am definitely not from a family that has never faced adversity. I was raised by a single mom who sometimes worked two jobs. I recall sleeping in the car while my mom worked at a local gas station at night in probably not the nicest neighborhood. Forget extra curriculars. We were just trying to put food on the table. By high school I was basically raising myself.

I definitely think that a family that can truly not afford to pay shouldn't have to and now that I am adult and in a better financial position than I had growing up I have no issues paying more than my share to help others who are not quite so fortunate.

BUT, in my own experience volunteering in schools I have found that the majority of people who don't pay are not people that can't afford to, it's because they don't want to. Why pay for something when you can get it for free? Those people also feel nothing about complaining about having to do any fundraising because their time is worth more than everyone elses.
I can agree with you on this. I loathe mooches and I know plenty of them.

I can agree with you on this. I loathe mooches and I know plenty of them.
I have first hand experience at our school that the majority of families that choose not to donate do so because they don’t want to. Everyone is understanding of a family that doesn’t donate due to real need.

Often times, the same non donating family will order $500+ in spirit wear. They are basically asking for all of the other families to pick up their share.

What is everyone's thoughts on HS Soccer? I for one think its a big joke! Maybe its because my DD goes to a private school that charges $900+ for 3 months. Also the fact that if you don't play for your HS coaches club team, your daughter is on the bottom of the barrel. Its so political in now a days. I'm not saying my daughter is the best player, but I can tell you that when flight 2 & non club players make varsity and your daughter plays for a 1st place flight 1 team and doesn't make it for whatever reason, it doesn't seem right.

Is this just an isolated incident or does this happen elsewhere?
Not isolated.

dont know about these 2 but you get that a lot on here and the old board. some people okay with high cost of playing. when they find out a kid was able to play for free or reduced costs they flip or find faults in the kid. they look at their shoes, their balls, etc to see what they cost - but not thinking they might be bought by others or bought at closeouts. how it is, maybe human nature, but see managing my kid's team. right or wrong, make a decision and move on.

Back