High School Soccer..........

What is everyone's thoughts on HS Soccer? I for one think its a big joke! Maybe its because my DD goes to a private school that charges $900+ for 3 months. Also the fact that if you don't play for your HS coaches club team, your daughter is on the bottom of the barrel. Its so political in now a days. I'm not saying my daughter is the best player, but I can tell you that when flight 2 & non club players make varsity and your daughter plays for a 1st place flight 1 team and doesn't make it for whatever reason, it doesn't seem right.

Is this just an isolated incident or does this happen elsewhere?

High School soccer is a lesson to be learned and a challenge for all the girls playing. I'm sure sometimes it depends on your kids attitude, reputation and ability to play on a team with huge gaps in talent. All youth sports have issues with your above mentioned issues, it is how your DD deals with them is whats important. I guarantee if your DD is such a stand out talent or a higher level of play on the JV team killing everyone on the field they will move her up.

Some coaches put seniors on varsity no matter their skill level just to make sure they get a chance to "play varsity" before they graduate. It is what it is...

What is everyone's thoughts on HS Soccer? I for one think its a big joke! Maybe its because my DD goes to a private school that charges $900+ for 3 months. Also the fact that if you don't play for your HS coaches club team, your daughter is on the bottom of the barrel. Its so political in now a days. I'm not saying my daughter is the best player, but I can tell you that when flight 2 & non club players make varsity and your daughter plays for a 1st place flight 1 team and doesn't make it for whatever reason, it doesn't seem right.

My boy was put on the JV baseball team as a junior and his senior year he led the team with a 476 batting average, he was also awarded the Big Stick trophy. The coach apologized to him from the podium of the banquet.
High School sports are tough and expensive.

My boy was put on the JV baseball team as a junior and his senior year he led the team with a 476 batting average, he was also awarded the Big Stick trophy. The coach apologized to him from the podium of the banquet.
High School sports are tough and expensive.

Expensive compared to what!? Not compared to Club Soccer. Our HS experiences have been cheap.

Girl’s HS should be really interesting this year with many of the best players not playing HS due to DA. If you believe what the coaches are saying. While refereeing this past month, I have talked to several club coaches that also coach HS. One of the coaches that normally has a top HS team told me he does not expect to do well this year because 9 of his remaining starters will not be playing due to DA. He said that he will have to rely on players that would normally be JV or bench players. His other comment was, “l hope there are a few hidden diamonds in that JV group.” All of the other coaches are from schools that usually dont make it past the first round of playoffs or just miss the playoffs. They all have no more than 1-2 DA players if any at all. They are excited about the loss of the DA players at the perennial powerhouse schools. All of them think that they will actually be cable to compete against schools like Cathederal Catholic, Torrey Pines, LCC, and Carlsbad. As a Referee, I don’t think that much is going to change. I didn’t see much change on the boys side when DA started and expect to see much change with the girls teams.

$900 for three months of Soccer is a ridiculous amount.

Girl’s HS should be really interesting this year with many of the best players not playing HS due to DA. If you believe what the coaches are saying. While refereeing this past month, I have talked to several club coaches that also coach HS. One of the coaches that normally has a top HS team told me he does not expect to do well this year because 9 of his remaining starters will not be playing due to DA. He said that he will have to rely on players that would normally be JV or bench players. His other comment was, “l hope there are a few hidden diamonds in that JV group.” All of the other coaches are from schools that usually dont make it past the first round of playoffs or just miss the playoffs. They all have no more than 1-2 DA players if any at all. They are excited about the loss of the DA players at the perennial powerhouse schools. All of them think that they will actually be cable to compete against schools like Cathederal Catholic, Torrey Pines, LCC, and Carlsbad. As a Referee, I don’t think that much is going to change. I didn’t see much change on the boys side when DA started and expect to see much change with the girls teams.

The D1 and lower schools will all even out and the open division might have a drop with some schools? I was told maybe the Developmental girls might be able to play part of the season?
In most schools it's such a miss match level of players and bad coaching it will all even out again and the stronger schools will continue to be strong.

Expensive compared to what!? Not compared to Club Soccer. Our HS experiences have been cheap.
I am not comparing it to club, I believe we are in for a $500.00 donation plus the fundraising, uniforms and transportation. I was referring to his baseball, $1200.00 a year for public school.

If a player is playing on a 1st place Flight 1 team, what makes you think this player is better than any Flight 2 player? Players are playing on a different level teams for a different reasons. I know plenty of Flight 2 players that can easily play at higher level and plenty of Flight 1 players that don't belong there.

I bet you that HS girls teams from southern and south-eastern San Diego will have an upsurge. Northern San Diego teams will suffer. Unlike boys DA teams were many clubs sponsor boys from the South Bay, the girls side is different. I don't see a lot of girls from the south on DA teams.

It should be interesting to see if the speculation that high school soccer will be very effected by the DA. I know that for my own kids team (last year they were a fairly good D1 team that made it to the CIF semifinals and "state" playoffs) it's not going to be that big of a deal. We "lost" three Varsity players to DA. However only two of those were starters last year. The third girl rarely played. Our biggest loss is the 9 seniors and 1 junior who graduated early (5 of which were starters), but we would have had the same issue without DA. We'll see how having a younger team (only 3 seniors this year) will impact our team at all.

I bet you that HS girls teams from southern and south-eastern San Diego will have an upsurge. Northern San Diego teams will suffer. Unlike boys DA teams were many clubs sponsor boys from the South Bay, the girls side is different. I don't see a lot of girls from the south on DA teams.
Good point.

Two of the better players on my DD's old team go to a magnet school that doesn't have a soccer team. Apparently CIF rules make it pretty much impossible for them to play for other schools. It's a shame that those two talented club players, who would both love to play high school soccer, can't figure out a way to do so (especially with DA players departing now).

I am not comparing it to club, I believe we are in for a $500.00 donation plus the fundraising, uniforms and transportation. I was referring to his baseball, $1200.00 a year for public school.

Public schools are not allowed to charge players or families to participate in sports. They can do fundraising or ask for a donation, but if a family does not want to pay they do not have too. If a player is cut or not allowed to play due to not paying or fundraising, the coach and school can get in trouble or the coach fired. There was a HS lacrosse coach 3-4 years ago that cut two players because the families refused to pay a donation. The families took the matter to the school that did nothing than took it to the school board with a threat of legal action. The school board had the coach fired and the players reinstated onto the team.

Public schools are not allowed to charge players or families to participate in sports. They can do fundraising or ask for a donation, but if a family does not want to pay they do not have too. If a player is cut or not allowed to play due to not paying or fundraising, the coach and school can get in trouble or the coach fired. There was a HS lacrosse coach 3-4 years ago that cut two players because the families refused to pay a donation. The families took the matter to the school that did nothing than took it to the school board with a threat of legal action. The school board had the coach fired and the players reinstated onto the team.

Still common practice. Very common but families have to act. Most don’t that I know of for various reasons

Still common practice. Very common but families have to act. Most don’t that I know of for various reasons

My DD sophomore year she had one girl refuse the donation and fundraising for the team. Coach told the father she would need to fundraise. Father said no and if there were repercussions he would take it to the school board. This was done in the open where the players and parents could hear. It made me curious so I looked into it and the father was correct.

You're right of course, but why be that guy....

The fact of the matter is by not paying or fundraising, your passing on the responsibility to another players/family. It will cost the program the same with or without everyone participating. The kids suffer in the end because of the short fall.

You're right of course, but why be that guy....

The fact of the matter is by not paying or fundraising, your passing on the responsibility to another players/family. It will cost the program the same with or without everyone participating. The kids suffer in the end because of the short fall.
The problem is not everything has families that can afford to contribute and the largest fundraising gimmick is the Snap Fundraiser were you give 10-20 emails addresses of people you think might contribute and then the player has a minimum they must make. I get at least 10 of them a season from family.

Back