High School soccer or no?

San Diego and Southern Section CIF have different rules, so blanket statements on the forum are not always correct.

Most CIF rules and the very structure of HS sports is tailored to football first and boys sports second. All other sports and females are afterthoughts. Most school athletic directors and CIF staff are old football/male sport people. For females, soccer is the HS equivalent of football in terms of participation and scholarships. All of these rules about not participating in club sports during HS sports don't seem to have any affect on football players. Funny how that works. The entire structure probably violates Title IX since female soccer players do not have the same opportunities as male football players. The restrictions against college ID camps do not affect football players at all since HS and College football seasons coincide. Female soccer players face restrictions on attending college ID camps since HS soccer season is different than college soccer season. HS soccer season conflicts with many college winter ID camps. And finally, Jerry Schniepp is an asshole.
Not sure why you disagreed with my post, but you are right that Jerry Schniepp is an asshole with his selective enforcement of the rules. I bet you had an issue with a girls ID camp that he would not bend on, yet does not enforce rules consistently for boys big sports.

San Diego and Southern Section CIF have different rules, so blanket statements on the forum are not always correct.

Most CIF rules and the very structure of HS sports is tailored to football first and boys sports second. All other sports and females are afterthoughts. Most school athletic directors and CIF staff are old football/male sport people. For females, soccer is the HS equivalent of football in terms of participation and scholarships. All of these rules about not participating in club sports during HS sports don't seem to have any affect on football players. Funny how that works. The entire structure probably violates Title IX since female soccer players do not have the same opportunities as male football players. The restrictions against college ID camps do not affect football players at all since HS and College football seasons coincide. Female soccer players face restrictions on attending college ID camps since HS soccer season is different than college soccer season. HS soccer season conflicts with many college winter ID camps. And finally, Jerry Schniepp is an asshole.

Male soccer players have the same ID camp restrictions, at least on paper.

Not sure why you disagreed with my post, but you are right that Jerry Schniepp is an asshole with his selective enforcement of the rules. I bet you had an issue with a girls ID camp that he would not bend on, yet does not enforce rules consistently for boys big sports.
Just disagreed with the part about San Diego CIF being weak and not doing a damn thing. They certainly impacted my DD and her team. You are correct on the ID camp situation. Screw him and anyone else that disagreed with her participating in ID camps.

This old boys club that barely tolerates HS soccer have no one to blame but themselves for the DA and GDA's policy of no HS soccer. Small fields, two ref crews and in many cases poor coaching have produced a product that is not worth fighting for. HS football is a valuable stepping stone to college football and/or the pros. But soccer is the future and they have managed to alienate the elite soccer players to a degree that enough of them are willing to give up HS soccer. Maybe it is a good thing that HS sports will become closer to rec level as other club sports follow the lead of soccer, but the old boy's empire is crumbling.

I'm seeing more kids in HS are committed for field hockey and lacrosse than soccer.

Question, how do HS teams rank (i.e. division 1, 2, etc.). My DD said her freshman friend who plays tier 3 club soccer made a varsity team. My DD said she heard that school's varsity plays in a low division so it's easier to make varsity there vs other schools. I'm interested in HS rankings for SGV and IE area. Any website recommendations?

Cifss website has the divisions for next year. There is a formula they use based on results for the past two years and strength of schedule that determines division. No rankings yet and no way to ranks teams based on past years since girls DA has removed many girls from HS teams. Things have totally changed. Many top teams will be decimated by DA. Its is definitely easier to make varsity at the lower divisions.

Cifss website has the divisions for next year. There is a formula they use based on results for the past two years and strength of schedule that determines division. No rankings yet and no way to ranks teams based on past years since girls DA has removed many girls from HS teams. Things have totally changed. Many top teams will be decimated by DA. Its is definitely easier to make varsity at the lower divisions.

Very informative and exactly what I've been searching for, thanks much! :)

Just disagreed with the part about San Diego CIF being weak and not doing a damn thing. They certainly impacted my DD and her team. You are correct on the ID camp situation. Screw him and anyone else that disagreed with her participating in ID camps.

This old boys club that barely tolerates HS soccer have no one to blame but themselves for the DA and GDA's policy of no HS soccer. Small fields, two ref crews and in many cases poor coaching have produced a product that is not worth fighting for. HS football is a valuable stepping stone to college football and/or the pros. But soccer is the future and they have managed to alienate the elite soccer players to a degree that enough of them are willing to give up HS soccer. Maybe it is a good thing that HS sports will become closer to rec level as other club sports follow the lead of soccer, but the old boy's empire is crumbling.
Sorry I meant that CIF Leadership is weak, not the athletes.

My niece who is not DA due to her preference to participate in other activities has decided not to play high school this year. Her thought is that since the quality will be lower, more players will take cheap shots (not out of meanness but because they don't know the proper technique) to stop her; not worth the risk to her.

Sorry I meant that CIF Leadership is weak, not the athletes.

My niece who is not DA due to her preference to participate in other activities has decided not to play high school this year. Her thought is that since the quality will be lower, more players will take cheap shots (not out of meanness but because they don't know the proper technique) to stop her; not worth the risk to her.

High school soccer is as good as anything they can do. It has lessons to be learned and the pride of playing for their school (if embraced) is something that will last way beyond anything club can ever hope to give them.
In HS they will have to learn to play with high level talent down to a AYSO level of talent, they have to learn to adapt to a huge gap in style of play along with different personalities and commitment to the game.
The coaching style usually will be something way different than their club.
If they can't hang in this environment for any reason then they have the issue, not the coach, not the team and not the school!
For most club players they will play in club then maybe get a small % scholarship to play in a small college then you have a very very small % that will get some kind of offer to play in a D1 or D2 type of school. So why would anyone rob their kid of HS sports because some 1/2 wit club coach is trying to convince everyone on his team that HS is not worth their time? What they want to really say is HS gets in the way of clubs making more money off your child!
These kids get ONE childhood and as parents we need to direct them towards making it the best possible.
I will admit HS soccer is hard to watch at times and really hard to deal with the variety of coaches, but at the end of the day this is about fun and my DD and most all her teammates say HS is pure fun.

Reactions: MWN
High school soccer is as good as anything they can do. It has lessons to be learned and the pride of playing for their school (if embraced) is something that will last way beyond anything club can ever hope to give them.
In HS they will have to learn to play with high level talent down to a AYSO level of talent, they have to learn to adapt to a huge gap in style of play along with different personalities and commitment to the game.
The coaching style usually will be something way different than their club.
If they can't hang in this environment for any reason then they have the issue, not the coach, not the team and not the school!
For most club players they will play in club then maybe get a small % scholarship to play in a small college then you have a very very small % that will get some kind of offer to play in a D1 or D2 type of school. So why would anyone rob their kid of HS sports because some 1/2 wit club coach is trying to convince everyone on his team that HS is not worth their time? What they want to really say is HS gets in the way of clubs making more money off your child!
These kids get ONE childhood and as parents we need to direct them towards making it the best possible.
I will admit HS soccer is hard to watch at times and really hard to deal with the variety of coaches, but at the end of the day this is about fun and my DD and most all her teammates say HS is pure fun.
HS soccer is a place to learn bad habits if your coach is not up to snuf. It is also a place to get hurt with only 2 refs and a wide range of skill level. In my experience lower level players get frustrated with a good player dribbling past them.

Especially for Sophomores and Juniors, it is a good to to recuperate from nagging injuries and maybe attend a few ID camps.

HS soccer is a place to learn bad habits if your coach is not up to snuf. It is also a place to get hurt with only 2 refs and a wide range of skill level. In my experience lower level players get frustrated with a good player dribbling past them.

Especially for Sophomores and Juniors, it is a good to to recuperate from nagging injuries and maybe attend a few ID camps.
The winter ID camps have less players due to high school season and thus more opportunity to showcase the player. If a player is not committed by Junior year or does not have good prospects, I would suggest using that time to be seen by college coaches..

I think the decision is an easy one to make. If your dd is playing DA then no HS. If your daughter is playing in any other league then it is her choice. Either HS is fun and she wants to play with her friends or HS sucks and she would rather do something else. If it is fun, then let her have fun. Sucking the fun out of soccer is the quickest way for your dd to quite the sport regardless of how good she is.

OK, Getting very tired of the old saying, playing HS puts your DD at risk of getting hurt. BAH. Playing Highly Competitive Club Soccer puts your DD at a very HIGH risk of getting hurt. My DD is a small freshmen playing on Her Varsity HS Team and I look at it as a safer place to play some soccer, have some fun and give her body a break from the constant damage being done from playing club soccer. I've watched the summer league games , and all the teams are made up of various club level girls and they all can play, but the pace is slower and the intensity is no were near what it is when they play at their club games. Not a single injury or issue on or at any of the HS games I have watched. Also more laughs, smiles and jokes during a single game than I've ever seen during my DD's Club games.
Then HS Summer league ends and off to Club events and seeing all the high speed aggressive play and numerous girls being taking off the fields for injuries and DD's legs and arms once again look like she had been in a kick-fighting competition made me appreciate the HS play time.
Then regular club season starts and one game, 4 girls from DD's team taken off the field from punishing injuries and then another game 3 girls taken out of the game due to aggressive play, team sustained so many contact injuries, DD's team had to finish the game with only 9 on the field.
So now HS regular season is starting up soon, DD is looking forward to getting some downtime to play some soccer at a slower, safer , funner pace again. It will give a nice break so she can heal up stay fit and be ready for club league games to come.
So people be real . Playing Highly Competitive Club soccer is what is going to get your DD hurt, not playing slower paced less intense and comparative HS Soccer. IMHO the risk of playing HS season is nothing compared to the risk of injury during a Highly Competitive Club Season.

I can't imagine any kid getting an offer from HS soccer. 100% from club and I'd camps.

I had a top 25 D1 girls coach at one of my HS games two years ago. I had worked a good number of his club games over the years. He told me he was there to watch a specific player he was recruiting. He said that since she was the best player on the team he wanted to see how she lead and directed the the team during a game. Only time I have known of a college recruiter at one of my games.

First experience with high school soccer for our family. I have to say that it is a mixed bag of talent to say the least. Some of the games we have been involved in have been blowouts. And others have been very close. I enjoy watching the kids out there having a good time though.

Yeah, but the previous administrator was too nice, especially when negotiating with other Sections for things like playoff seedings. Schniepp is much more aggressive and competitive, but he doesn't strike me as being all that bright.

I had a top 25 D1 girls coach at one of my HS games two years ago. I had worked a good number of his club games over the years. He told me he was there to watch a specific player he was recruiting. He said that since she was the best player on the team he wanted to see how she lead and directed the the team during a game. Only time I have known of a college recruiter at one of my games.

I have seen them at HS games, but they already had their recruiting target in mind when they arrived - not treasure-hunting.

Back